Microwave Popcorn Taste Test

Salvador

One Nation Under God
For many of us, it's almost impossible to watch anything on television without a bowl of popcorn in our hands: Each year, Americans consume more than 52 quarts of popped popcorn per capita, a figure that has tripled in the last three decades, according to the nonprofit Popcorn Board, an industry-funded group. While some of that is eaten in the movie theater, the majority is devoured at home, and usually that means microwave popcorn.

There are almost as many brands of microwave popcorn as there are movie channels, so we set out to learn which makes the crunchiest, most evenly salted, most buttery-tasting kernels of all. Unfortunately, quite a few samples suffered from greasiness or an artificial butter flavor, so our task was harder than anticipated. Read on to find out which type tasted best to our judges. And once you know which brand to buy, take a look at ways to enhance the flavor even more, with our 14 delicious popcorn recipes.

http://www.epicurious.com/archive/everydaycooking/tastetests/microwavepopcorntastetest

:popcorn:

littlelady

God bless the USA
So happy for you that you found your niche! My fam's fav snack food is humus and multi grain pita chips. Popcorn is so yesterday.

Microwave popcorn is full of chemicals. Buy kernels and pop it the old fashioned way.

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
What Speedy said. Microwave popcorn is gross and it stinks. Takes about 5 mins to make real popcorn, then you can have real butter on it instead of a bunch of chemicals. Even the popcorn in a bag is better than microwave.

Misfit

Lawful neutral
I like Orville Redenbacher's movie theater butter, but I got a box of Cheez-It Baby Swiss Crackers that’s going to be a snack staple for a long time to come.

Attachments

• kicproductimage-106720_babyswissci.jpg
    kicproductimage-106720_babyswissci.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 259
Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Air-popped corn always tastes like styrofoam to me, and it's too dry. A pot with a lid, a bit of oil, and some corn - that's all you need. Oh, and some butter and salt. And occasionally parmesan cheese.