Passing zones on the right a dying breed?

glhs837

Power with Control
Specifically, the small ones that allow straight through traffic to get around places where it's common for a left turning vehicle to bog things up. I've seen two on Rt 5 go away in the last year or so, both and Hermanville and Park Hall Roads and now I noticed one up by Leonardtown has been erased. Is this some new safety thing? Seems any place that gets repaved that had them, they don't put them back down.

CrashTest

Opportunity for revenue generation when the LEOs see people drive on the shoulder to get around versus having the sanctioned get-around area.

glhs837

Power with Control
I miss the one at the bottom of Mechanicsville road and Budds Creek road.

Right, I forgot that ones gone too. Yet another example.

Chris, if they want to make money, they certainly are not trying very hard. Very rare for the Sheriff to enforce that one. They did that visible wave back a year or more ago just south of the GMR/Rt5 intersection by that subdivision.

bilbur

Specifically, the small ones that allow straight through traffic to get around places where it's common for a left turning vehicle to bog things up. I've seen two on Rt 5 go away in the last year or so, both and Hermanville and Park Hall Roads and now I noticed one up by Leonardtown has been erased. Is this some new safety thing? Seems any place that gets repaved that had them, they don't put them back down.

I have noticed something strange lately. I turn off of 245 onto a side road on a regular basis. Usually if there is any traffic behind me it is whizzing by me on the shoulder, even cops. Ever since they repaved the road I have not seen one person pass me on the shoulder. Did they step up enforcement for this or do people just not want to mess up the nice bright white lines.

Erk

I was rear-ended at high speed waiting to turn left at the Hermanville / 5 intersection in 2007. After playing 'pinball mustang' 4 cars were totaled (got hit off-center and pushed into on-coming traffic) and several hurt.
One of the fall-outs (beside the shiny new teeth I got, etc. etc.) was the creation of the 'go around' lane shortly there-after. After re-paving and re-striping I was saddened to see it go away. I've not been able to find out why/how that decision was made.
My guess is the grinding away of the old line, and the subsequent painting of the go-around that was done in 2007 never made it into the official books, and when it got repaved.....it reverted.

Last edited:

stgislander

PREMO Member
If you ever come up behind someone that is sitting behind a stopped left-turning vehicle, it's probably me. Ever since the young woman was killed in Callaway a few years back while she waiting to make a left turn, I've refused to pass on the right shoulder.

vince77

I believe a solid white line means you're not permitted to use the shoulder to get around left turn traffic. Also if you're at a traffic light in a designated left turn lane you can't then decide to go straight and move over into the through lanes of traffic traveling through the intersection.

Last edited:

glhs837

Power with Control
If you ever come up behind someone that is sitting behind a stopped left-turning vehicle, it's probably me. Ever since the young woman was killed in Callaway a few years back while she waiting to make a left turn, I've refused to pass on the right shoulder.

Wasn't that because some drunk bozo was going 80? Not sure how not passing in a legally allowed place to do so makes any difference in that scenario.

Crash, not too many Amish down St Marys City way. Might be due to bikers......

stgislander

PREMO Member
Wasn't that because some drunk bozo was going 80? Not sure how not passing in a legally allowed place to do so makes any difference in that scenario.

Crash, not too many Amish down St Marys City way. Might be due to bikers......

Yeah, he never attempted to slow down. Caught her rear quarter panel and pushed her into oncoming traffic.

Sorry that I hijacked this thread to another one about illegally passing on the shoulder.

glhs837

Power with Control
I believe a solid white line means you're not permitted to use the shoulder to get around left turn traffic.

Exactly. And in these places, there used to be an area where the white line shifts into the shoulder area to allow legal passing. But after resurfacing, they have been shifted back straight, eliminating the legal bypass lane.

glhs837

Power with Control
Yeah, he never attempted to slow down. Caught her rear quarter panel and pushed her into oncoming traffic.

Sorry that I hijacked this thread to another one about illegally passing on the shoulder.

So, in reality, using that crash to say you will not pass on the right means you are the one who will take that shot. Me, I prefer to spend as little time sitting at a stop in a travel lane. Part of that is the easily smashed motorcycle rider, part is my natural distrust of other drivers...... I prefer to be around that person and moving on down the road. I usually obey the law on that, most often in the car, but if I feel like it's putting me at risk, I will go around.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Exactly. And in these places, there used to be an area where the white line shifts into the shoulder area to allow legal passing. But after resurfacing, they have been shifted back straight, eliminating the legal bypass lane.

You can thank "low bid" contractors for that. At least when the state and county crews did it, they knew the roads and patterns of travel that were there.

Last edited:

glhs837

Power with Control
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure they can't just ignore the prints. Can't just change lane markings as they wish.

I wish they'd put one at the turnoff for the Convenience Center on Rt 4. That's a terrible spot to be sitting, waiting for a left turn.

glhs837

Power with Control
I wish they'd put one at the turnoff for the Convenience Center on Rt 4. That's a terrible spot to be sitting, waiting for a left turn.

Agreed, that one gets my hackles up big time. 99% of my transfer station needs are met down in Ridge, but occasionally, task saturation requires it be done there, and I'm like a cat in a room full of rocking chairs.....

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
On 242 they just put down the temp striping, not painted lines after our re pave. Hopefully the line crews put them back, like they are supposed to be. Left turners on Oakley Rd probably spend more time looking in the rear view than looking for oncoming traffic.

ciwmj

I have noticed something strange lately. I turn off of 245 onto a side road on a regular basis. Usually if there is any traffic behind me it is whizzing by me on the shoulder, even cops. Ever since they repaved the road I have not seen one person pass me on the shoulder. Did they step up enforcement for this or do people just not want to mess up the nice bright white lines.

One must remember that like the Federal Gov't, the State uses low bidder for contracts. Maybe they didn't figure in the couple of extra feet of tape to put lines back properly .