Ollie's Outlet

RPMDAD

Just curious, i have been getting fliers for this place in the local paper. I live in Cal. Co. and notice there is one in Lex. Park. Just curious has anyone been there, is it worth the drive down there to check out or is most of their stuff just not worth it. The highlight of the trip for me would be going to Nikos to pick up some of their souvlaki's and gyros. Used to eat there when i worked at Pax.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Just curious, i have been getting fliers for this place in the local paper. I live in Cal. Co. and notice there is one in Lex. Park. Just curious has anyone been there, is it worth the drive down there to check out or is most of their stuff just not worth it. The highlight of the trip for me would be going to Nikos to pick up some of their souvlaki's and gyros. Used to eat there when i worked at Pax.

Niko's is reason enough.

Ollie's is fun, if you have time to really shop. You can find some good deals on home repair items, and less than professional grade tools. They have overstock items, so you never know what you might find that isn't advertised.

I've bought a few things there, everthing I bought turned out to be total crap. Broke, fell apart, didn't work........

The killer was when I bought some bedsheets, blue flannel. Like always, I washed them well before I put them on the bed. Next morning I woke up looking like a smurf. I was blue all over. Took a shower, washed the sheets 2 more times. Woke up the next day looking like a smurf.

Tossed those, and another red set I had bought, in the trash.

calvcopf

Ever been to a Big Lots? Ollies is kinda the same. Cheap odds and ends with rotating stock. Everything your junk drawer ever wanted.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
I've bought a few things there, everthing I bought turned out to be total crap. Broke, fell apart, didn't work........

The killer was when I bought some bedsheets, blue flannel. Like always, I washed them well before I put them on the bed. Next morning I woke up looking like a smurf. I was blue all over. Took a shower, washed the sheets 2 more times. Woke up the next day looking like a smurf.

What the hell do you do in bed while sleeping?

glhs837

Power with Control

Dunno, bought a large air conditioner, a Magnavox P-14-PE the box unit on wheels with an exhaust hose, ran that thing all summer two years ago, worked like a champ. Our large vacuum is a factory reconditioned Hoover, it's fine. I would not buy textiles there, though. But if I need a wrench to grind down to fit an odd space, or a screw driver I need to bend into a pretzl, that's my place.

PeoplesElbow

OMG that is the best story ever.

I have managed to get some good tools there. I got a Husky hand saw that I use to do rough cuts on construction lumber with, the best purchase I have made is some 48 inch Jorgensen parallel cabinet clamps for $20 each, they are about $60/each at woodcraft.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member

:worthless

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Ollie's is a cheapo junk store but occasionally you can find a deal on something worthwhile. Not often enough to make a special trip, though. If I'm at Niko's anyway I'll pop in sometimes and see what they have.

ltown81

They buy damaged, overstocked, and cheap Chinese versions of stuff in bulk and resell. They do kinda what Ross does with clothes.

vince77

Low quality, low cost stores seem to flock to Southern Maryland. Retailers obviously do their homework targeting clientele.

PeoplesElbow

Low quality, low cost stores seem to flock to Southern Maryland. Retailers obviously do their homework targeting clientele.

Stores like that are pretty much everywhere except for the highest rent locations such as the good parts of southern California and the north east.

PeoplesElbow

yeah I saw an add recently in 'the tester' ..... Android tablet 57 bucks :jet:

I got one of their cheap android tablets about 3 years ago to practice rooting the OS on. It was cheap, but hey it wasn't bad at all.

I get beef jerky from Ollies, if you take the bar code sticker off of it right under it says "Made for Walgreens" and has for years. It is actually my favorite beef jerky out of all the prepackaged stuff.

ltown81

Places like Ollies spring up in the abandoned carcasses of shuddered Ames and Kmarts. I am waiting to hear how Big Lot's has moved into their new, nicer Laurel Glenn store.

thrash

I really like their book selection. It's obviously not a place to find what you're looking for, but I like to browse on lunch breaks. There's a decent selection, some bizarre titles, and they're dirt cheap. If you like to read, it's worth a visit, especially since Bay Books closed down. D;

FED_UP

Dunno, bought a large air conditioner, a Magnavox P-14-PE the box unit on wheels with an exhaust hose, ran that thing all summer two years ago, worked like a champ. Our large vacuum is a factory reconditioned Hoover, it's fine. I would not buy textiles there, though. But if I need a wrench to grind down to fit an odd space, or a screw driver I need to bend into a pretzl, that's my place.

I brought 2 of those portable ac units and they work well for the past 2 years. I had to tell the manager once that they had an entier box of pretzels on the shelf that have expired.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
It's obviously not a place to find what you're looking for,

I have never found what I was looking for at Ollie's or Big Lots, but I occasionally find something else. I rolled in one time looking for cheap panel curtains, which was a bust, but I did pick up some stone planters for the deck. Doesn't hurt to go nose around if you're in the area anyway.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I go there to browse the books and DVDs, get book shelf kits of decent quality, various other odds and ends in their food/cleaning supplies aisles.

Hessian

Go to a Giant/Safeway to their "International Aisle" ...um, since when did Mexico take over the rest of the entire world?

BigLots actually set up a whole display of German foods for "Octoberfest"...haven't seen that accommodation since 1936.
They also carry some unique pasta...and CHEAPEST Arizona tea around.

However, for really good German chocolate---Aldi's.