In general does every DUI offense require an arrest?

steppinthrax

Just curious,

Looking at a court case of someone who had a previous DRIVING WHILE IMPAIRED BY ALCOHOL. Seems in the records, there is no mention of commitment or arrest. However, there is a court case 6 months down the road. Leads me to believe the person was let go????

My suspicion is there is a zero tolerance and you automatically (most likely) get arrested?

awpitt

Main Streeter
Just curious,

Looking at a court case of someone who had a previous DRIVING WHILE IMPAIRED BY ALCOHOL. Seems in the records, there is no mention of commitment or arrest. However, there is a court case 6 months down the road. Leads me to believe the person was let go????

My suspicion is there is a zero tolerance and you automatically (most likely) get arrested?

I've always been under the impression that DUIs and DWIs involve arrest and booking. Now, they might be released right afterwards pending their court date.

Midnightrider

Just curious,

what part of there being a court date in 6 months makes you think they were let go?

It seems to me a court date would indicate the opposite

awpitt

Main Streeter
what part of there being a court date in 6 months makes you think they were let go?

It seems to me a court date would indicate the opposite

Just because they have to wait six months for a court date, doesn't mean they're locked up the whole time while waiting. It's often the case that someone will be released on bond or even released on their own recognizance while awaiting trial.

Midnightrider

Just because they have to wait six months for a court date, doesn't mean they're locked up the whole time while waiting. It's often the case that someone will be released on bond or even released on their own recognizance while awaiting trial.

i get it, but that doens't mean they were 'let go' it means they are 'awaiting trial'

steppinthrax

No,

My thought was they were caught and a ticket was written, with a court date 6 months out??? I know they are not going to be sitting in jail for 6 mos. Just I'm not seeing a transaction where they were committed etc...

awpitt

Main Streeter
No,

My thought was they were caught and a ticket was written, with a court date 6 months out??? I know they are not going to be sitting in jail for 6 mos. Just I'm not seeing a transaction where they were committed etc...

No commitment doesn't mean no arrest. They would be arrested, charged, taken to Leonardtown, processed and then could be released by the court commissioner on duty and would have to call someone to come pick them up.

steppinthrax

No commitment doesn't mean no arrest. They would be arrested, charged, taken to Leonardtown, processed and then could be released by the court commissioner on duty and would have to call someone to come pick them up.

Processed usually includes mugshot right? (as well as fingerprints)?

awpitt

Main Streeter
Processed usually includes mugshot right? (as well as fingerprints)?

Yeah. The mug shot, fingerprints, etc.. Then they'd go before the court commissioner who sets bail, or releases them on their own recognizance. Or, the court commissioner could even make them stay locked up over night depending on the situation.

steppinthrax

Yeah. The mug shot, fingerprints, etc.. Then they'd go before the court commissioner who sets bail, or releases them on their own recognizance. Or, the court commissioner could even make them stay locked up over night depending on the situation.

OK thanks that makes sense,

You are in law enforcement or personal exp?

tblwdc

An officer can issue the person a citation after completing the dui process. Theoretically, the officer can release you on the scene under some circumstances after completing the paperwork.