Electric Dryer Repair

dan0623_2000

Can anyone recommend a dryer repairman that works the Lusby area? The dryer does not heat up and it is probably a broken heating element but I don't have the time or tools to be repairing it myself.

KingFish

Nothing to see here
I have used AA dependable appliance repair (301-884-5070) and always have had good service. I am sure there are several others out there. Do a quick internet search and call a couple to gauge price and when they can come out and go from there.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
We are having the same issue with our dryer and am in the same area. Since this is a pretty old thread, I am wondering if anyone has current recommendations for a repairman in the area.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
We are having the same issue with our dryer and am in the same area. Since this is a pretty old thread, I am wondering if anyone has current recommendations for a repairman in the area.

TPD

the poor dad
I used AA Dependable in Waldorf back in January for a refrigerator repair. Very prompt and honest - saved me a lot of money. The fridge was almost 3 years old so I assumed warranty had expired. The tech told me the compressor was bad and it was warranted for 5 years by LG and suggested I call LG for replacement. Paid the service call then called LG and had a new compressor installed at no cost.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

What is currently wrong with your dryer at the moment?

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Not putting out any heat. I can run it for over an hour and cool air only comes out.
Under our home warranty, have had good result from A&E Factory Service.
They got our Maytag washer from late 1983 fixed last fall and our 10 year old GE dishwasher fixed last months.

I fixed the dryer about 11 - 12 years ago. OEM parts are still available for both.
Good instructional videos on YouTube.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Under our home warranty, have had good result from A&E Factory Service.
They got our Maytag washer from late 1983 fixed last fall and our 10 year old GE dishwasher fixed last months.

I fixed the dryer about 11 - 12 years ago. OEM parts are still available for both.
Good instructional videos on YouTube.
Husband has fixed many appliances using YouTube videos and watched one for this problem too but doesn't want to mess with electricity especially 240 volts.

KingFish

Nothing to see here
I used AA Dependable in Waldorf back in January for a refrigerator repair. Very prompt and honest - saved me a lot of money. The fridge was almost 3 years old so I assumed warranty had expired. The tech told me the compressor was bad and it was warranted for 5 years by LG and suggested I call LG for replacement. Paid the service call then called LG and had a new compressor installed at no cost.
AA Dependable is the repairman of my choice. Usually Fred comes out. Very knowledgeable, professional, and does a great job at a fair price.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Not putting out any heat. I can run it for over an hour and cool air only comes out.
Could be a simple thermostat or thermal fuse. They look like the picture below. Most times these go out due to a build up of link in the air venting path reducing the air flow causing an overheat situation, beginning in the area of the venting fan area and going on from there through the vent piping to the outside vent as well. Also, a lot of lint can escape and settle on the coils themselves causing an over heat situation.

It is a really really really a simple task of thoroughly cleaning the vent path of all lent. Unplug it. Remove the top cover, screws are in the top back, remove the screws holding the control panel, disconnect any wires to the control panel and set aside, remove front cover panel screws and set that aside, then start cleaning. You might also have to remove the vent fan cover to get the lint inside that area as well. Get an ohm meter and check for continuity, or an open circuit at the thermostat or thermal fuse, (or just straight out replace them without testing), finding the bad one, replace, and reverse procedure to put back together.

When you are finished cleaning and removing all the lint, the inside will look almost brand new. Btw, order a new lint catcher. Those things, and that felt seal around the perimeter, do wear, which allows lint to bypass what is supposed to catch, all the lint to begin with.

71x72sw97OL._AC_SX466_.jpg

1stGenSMIB

Some of those disc style thermo-swtiches you can 'reset' by literally throwing it on a hard floor (like concrete)..it is a mechanical switch that 'pops' open and closed based on the air temp going by. This is not usually a permanent fix, but while you are waiting for the new $10 switch, it might temporarily fix it. Mine ended up being the heating element, even though it measured all readings within operating range..but it was popping the thermo-switch. I replaced the switch and the heating element. I bought that dryer used in 1999 (!!), and it was still working when we sold the house a few years ago. It was annoying during the process, but cheaper than a new dryer.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
So much for quality. Should have lasted much longer.
I agree. He did suggest trimming up the hose as having a longer one puts more pressure on the heating element. He also said doing multiple loads per week does as well. No way to not do several loads per week as we are a family of 4.