2015 Airport Security

DEEKAYPEE8569

I'm sure some of you have flown abroad earlier this year. How big of a PITA is airport security now?
I'm looking online for all the do's and don'ts and can's and can'ts.

stew77

We flew to California in Aug 2015, and had no problem @ BWI. and Ontario, Ca. Had to change planes coming back, in Chicago, but never got out of terminal. Other than having to take off shoes, no problems. Had to wait in line to get thru but no problem. Hope this helps?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I'm sure some of you have flown abroad earlier this year. How big of a PITA is airport security now?
I'm looking online for all the do's and don'ts and can's and can'ts.

Try to get onto the TSA site and sign up for the TSA Precheck..

The toughest part is in the foreign airport.. wait in line to get your passport checked.. With the 1000's of other foreigners from around the world (host nationals always get an "express line") to FINALLY get out of that line to get into another line... and yet another line..

AND if you are connecting flights between countries (saying going to Germany, but doing a connection in London) you may have to check in to passport control, go through Customs.. go retrieve your luggage, and get in another line to check your bags and have your passport checked yet again for the next flight..

TSA Pre-check doesn't do anything for you internationally, but it can, and usually does make a huge difference in the US.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I fly internationally all the time for my business...just got back from Korea, headed to Norway in a couple weeks. As long as you actually do show up ~2 hours before your boarding time, you won't have a problem at any US airport. Bob covered it pretty well too. TSA Prechek is "nice to have" (I do).

acommondisaster

I flew out of DCA a couple of weeks ago - granted I was only going to STL, but I prechecked with American Airlines (not TSA) the day before. Didn't have to take off my shoes; just basically walked through the metal detector and grabbed my roll aboard after it came off the xray conveyor belt. It was almost frightening how easy it was. Don't think it was because I was flying first class; I think it was the American Airlines precheck. Flying back to DCA, I did have to take off my shoes.

stgislander

PREMO Member
TSA Pre-check is well worth the money if you fly more than a once or twice a year. There's an office in White Plains where you submit your form, get your finger prints taken, and pay the fee.

DEEKAYPEE8569

I misspoke earlier. Our travel is going to be domestic. I said 'abroad' because out of MD :starcat: is out of MD......'abroad.'

H

Hodr

I have on several occasions noticed that airports in the DC area have longer TSA PreCheck lines than the normal lines. I will still wait in the PreCheck line though as I like not having to remove my computer from the bags or remove my shoes.

DEEKAYPEE8569

I flew out of DCA a couple of weeks ago - granted I was only going to STL, but I prechecked with American Airlines (not TSA) the day before. Didn't have to take off my shoes; just basically walked through the metal detector and grabbed my roll aboard after it came off the xray conveyor belt. It was almost frightening how easy it was. Don't think it was because I was flying first class; I think it was the American Airlines precheck. Flying back to DCA, I did have to take off my shoes.

Tickets already bought/paid for. Is the pre-check with the airline; Southwest to be specific; still possible? Didn't even think about pre-checking.

Perhaps off topic.....passengers are allowed only ONE carry-on? I'm NOT checking my laptop.

acommondisaster

Tickets already bought/paid for. Is the pre-check with the airline; Southwest to be specific; still possible? Didn't even think about pre-checking.

Perhaps off topic.....passengers are allowed only ONE carry-on? I'm NOT checking my laptop.

I flew SW last March - same deal - prechecked 24 hours prior and all I had to do was show my eticket scanner thingie on my phone. A great majority of people were standing in a LONG line, taking off shoes, coats, etc.......I didn't have to do any of that. They opened the gate right at the security guy and I went through the xray your carry on baggage conveyor and was on my way. Since SW does no assigned seats, and I was prechecked, I was one of the first onto the plane and got a 2nd row seat - which meant I was off that plane in a heartbeat.

As far as the laptop goes, you generally (SW's webpage can tell you their policy, but they're all pretty much the same) can take one bag to stow in the overhead storage and one thing that can fit under the seat - obviously that's where you want your laptop. Enjoy your trip. :)

catlingirl

I just went through the Kansas City Airport Southwest security last night and we didnt have to take our shoes or jackets off. My daughter even got picked to go through as a prescreened person. She didnt though because she didnt have id and I had regular screening. I guess the airlines randomly pick passengers to be prescreened. Which is kind of scarey. At BWI we had to take jackets and shoes off since we were regular screening people. Oh for southwest its a good idea to get Earlybird so you can get at least A or B so you can get good seats.

DEEKAYPEE8569

I flew SW last March - same deal - prechecked 24 hours prior and all I had to do was show my eticket scanner thingie on my phone. A great majority of people were standing in a LONG line, taking off shoes, coats, etc.......I didn't have to do any of that. They opened the gate right at the security guy and I went through the xray your carry on baggage conveyor and was on my way. Since SW does no assigned seats, and I was prechecked, I was one of the first onto the plane and got a 2nd row seat - which meant I was off that plane in a heartbeat.

As far as the laptop goes, you generally (SW's webpage can tell you their policy, but they're all pretty much the same) can take one bag to stow in the overhead storage and one thing that can fit under the seat - obviously that's where you want your laptop. Enjoy your trip. :)
I will be; at least I intend to pre-check. I just don't have the aforementioned "e-ticket scanner thingie." Shoot, I don't even have an I-Phone. :shrug: The closest I will get to that is the online check in and printed boarding pass. Going through security is just tedious, but I'm used to having to walk through the machine more than once, for an arrant quarter or rivets in jeans pockets.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
I misspoke earlier. Our travel is going to be domestic. I said 'abroad' because out of MD :starcat: is out of MD......'abroad.'

Living in Fl, out of Fl is always looked forward to.No issues with us anytime we fly - usually Southwest,and wifey gets the pre-screened pass nearly every time. Me, with the old pacemaker installed, always get the twice over, but no issues overall.

DEEKAYPEE8569

Living in Fl, out of Fl is always looked forward to.No issues with us anytime we fly - usually Southwest,and wifey gets the pre-screened pass nearly every time. Me, with the old pacemaker installed, always get the twice over, but no issues overall.
Is your Better Half a gov't employee who only had to show her work ID; vice D/L; or is there also a fee for said pre-screened pass? I ask because a civilian buddy of mine @ PAX told me all he had to do was show his work ID and he and his wife didn't have to go through the process; he didn't mention having to pay any type of fee to be pre-screened. That pre-screen fee is what I'm wondering about because my Mom is retired and not active or retired DoD.

Last edited:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
When I flew out of Dulles last weekend (overseas trip), the regular TSA line was same length as Pre-Check TSA line was and neither was long at all.