Turkey in fridge today?

wubbles

Once you start getting up into the 25lb range you're probably going to need a week. 24 hr for 5lbs is probably good up until 20.

:shrug: I put mine in a tub of cool water, change the water every few hours. Defrosts in much less time.

Ways to Thaw

Frozen Whole Turkeys and Frozen Whole Turkey Breasts need to be thawed before cooking. For the best results, follow one of these methods:
Refrigerator Thawing

Thaw breast side up, in an unopened wrapper on a tray in the fridge.
Allow at least 1 day of thawing for every 4 lbs.

Cold Water Thawing

Thaw breast side down, in an unopened wrapper, with enough cold water to cover your turkey completely.
Change water every 30 minutes to keep the turkey chilled.
Estimate a minimum thawing time of 30 minutes per lb.

http://www.butterball.com/how-tos/thaw-a-turkey

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Wouldn't it be oh so nice, if the turkeys were delivered to the store already thawed? Would not that be a wonderful thing?

littlelady

God bless the USA
If I may ...

Wouldn't it be oh so nice, if the turkeys were delivered to the store already thawed? Would not that be a wonderful thing?

Stores do have fresh turkeys. I think it is a mind set of the TG food preparers (like myself) that worry there won't be any turkeys left, so we get them early! :lol:

idiganthro

I put my 15.5 pounder in yesterday. I'll check it late Wednesday for iciness inside and use some last minute running water if needed.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...
If you are so inclined, there are many places that sell fresh killed, not frozen.
There are? Are they also raised locally as well? Please tell me where. Does one call ahead so there is time for the bird to be ready for pick-up?

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
If I may ...There are? Are they also raised locally as well? Please tell me where. Does one call ahead so there is time for the bird to be ready for pick-up?

A friend of mine often gets her fresh turkeys from the Amish, but I'm not certain which family she purchases them from. Also, they don't have telephones, so you need to go to them.

Someone more familiar with the Amish communities over in St. Mary's may be able to direct you.

Smith

Chesapeake Bounty (Saint Leonard & North Beach) has locally raised turkeys for $5/lb for 15-17lb. birds. Might need to pre-order.