Upside down turkey

luvmygdaughters

Has anybody roasted their turkey upside down? If so, how did it turn out as opposed to roasting breast side up? Did you use this method using a cooking bag? It seems to me, it would be a little difficult turning a 20lb, hot out of the oven turkey, right side up again. TIA

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Every single time I have ever done the turkey, all one of them, I did breast down for the first two hours and then turned over for the last 30-45 min to brown the boobies.

Perfect.

lovinmaryland

Ive cooked it that way several times if I'm just doing a regular bird (not brined, smoked, stuffed, etc...) and it works well. Ends up w/ a more juicy breast meat vs. just throwing it in right side up. I will say all the different ways Ive cooked a turkey , smoking it has resulted in the juiciest bird of all the methods every time.

Oh also, I never carve my turkey at the table so I never mess w/ flipping it back over for the golden breast. I normally carve in the kitchen and then bring it to the table sliced & ready on pretty platter.

luvmygdaughters

Ive cooked it that way several times if I'm just doing a regular bird (not brined, smoked, stuffed, etc...) and it works well. Ends up w/ a more juicy breast meat vs. just throwing it in right side up. I will say all the different ways Ive cooked a turkey , smoking it has resulted in the juiciest bird of all the methods every time.

Oh also, I never carve my turkey at the table so I never mess w/ flipping it back over for the golden breast. I normally carve in the kitchen and then bring it to the table sliced & ready on pretty platter.

True, didn't think of carving it in the kitchen first. Did you use a bag? I do not have a smoker unfortunately, would love to try it sometime.

DEEKAYPEE8569

Has anybody roasted their turkey upside down? If so, how did it turn out as opposed to roasting breast side up? Did you use this method using a cooking bag? It seems to me, it would be a little difficult turning a 20lb, hot out of the oven turkey, right side up again. TIA

Folks who cook turkeys that way prob'ly have the Ove Glove. You're supposed to be able to pick up red-hot horse shoes with those things, or something like that.

glhs837

Power with Control
So, two days out, NOW you all bring a new technique, I didn't need this.... I didn't ask for it......but now, of course, I have no choice....... and yes, I break that bird down to parade rest out in the kitchen and bring out a platter with light (crappy) and dark (best) meat separated to avoid contaminating the best meat.

lucky_bee

RBF expert

Carving the bird AT the table sounds like a recipe for a disaster :dead: my guy bought a brand new fancy smoker. He's been testing various things past couple weeks. Everything comes out fantastic and I can't tell you how excited I am to try some smoked turkey :yum:

also, it frees up my oven and keeps him outside and out of my way :coffee:

lovinmaryland

True, didn't think of carving it in the kitchen first. Did you use a bag? I do not have a smoker unfortunately, would love to try it sometime.
I didn't use a bag just used my turkey roasting pan and cooked as normal (covered low & slow for 2-2 1/2 hours then uncovered for about an hour or so (20 lb. bird) until the juices were clear.

I don't have a smoker either. I use my grill as a smoker. Google search how to do it. SOOOOOO easy and the results AHHHHMAZING!
Carving the bird AT the table sounds like a recipe for a disaster :dead: my guy bought a brand new fancy smoker. He's been testing various things past couple weeks. Everything comes out fantastic and I can't tell you how excited I am to try some smoked turkey :yum:

also, it frees up my oven and keeps him outside and out of my way :coffee:

You're going to be a happy girl because smoked turkey is outta bounds legit! Soooo good! I usually smoke mine for 5 hours then pop in a LOW oven (250) covered for an hour. Then let rest a bit (20 minutes) then carve. MAN O MAN is that a juicy bird. The only down side is you cant make gravy unless you want it to be all smoky tasting. But the meat is so juicy it really doesn't need anything. But if you're doing mashed taters & stuffing you're gonna want gravy. I usually cook several turkeys through out the month (I've already done 4 so far this month :lol:) and then save the drippings to use to make gravy for when I smoke a turkey.

luvmygdaughters

I didn't use a bag just used my turkey roasting pan and cooked as normal (covered low & slow for 2-2 1/2 hours then uncovered for about an hour or so (20 lb. bird) until the juices were clear.

I don't have a smoker either. I use my grill as a smoker. Google search how to do it. SOOOOOO easy and the results AHHHHMAZING!

You're going to be a happy girl because smoked turkey is outta bounds legit! Soooo good! I usually smoke mine for 5 hours then pop in a LOW oven (250) covered for an hour. Then let rest a bit (20 minutes) then carve. MAN O MAN is that a juicy bird. The only down side is you cant make gravy unless you want it to be all smoky tasting. But the meat is so juicy it really doesn't need anything. But if you're doing mashed taters & stuffing you're gonna want gravy. I usually cook several turkeys through out the month (I've already done 4 so far this month :lol:) and then save the drippings to use to make gravy for when I smoke a turkey.

Oh, I'll definitely have to google it. Thanks for the advice. Enjoy your Thanksgiving!!

Larry Gude

Strung Out
So, two days out, NOW you all bring a new technique, I didn't need this.... I didn't ask for it......but now, of course, I have no choice....... and yes, I break that bird down to parade rest out in the kitchen and bring out a platter with light (crappy) and dark (best) meat separated to avoid contaminating the best meat.

New???? If I knew about it, one thing it is NOT is a new cooking technique! :lol: :buddies:

Blister

I've cooked Breast side up ever since, I think it was Alton Brown talked about it on the Food Channel. 2/3 time (according to weight) breast down, remove from oven, shove carving fork down the gullet and spin with oven mitt. Backside up first gets the thighs fully cooked, and at the same time the breast is juicier and not overcooked.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R

My hubby loves his smoker. He plans on duck hunting tomorrow so smoking the turkey is out. He just made summer sausage, using deer meat, and smoked it. Came out pretty good. Even the girls like it.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer

my husband uses his weber to smoke..turns out perfect! so easy.

lucky_bee

RBF expert

:yahoo:

I told him stakes are high. Everyone says how amazing it is so he better not eff this up! :mad: I think his plan is to smoke it low for 8 hours.

I heard about the gravy. Sounds like we really won't be needing it, and I'm not a gravy person anyways. But everyone else insists if there's a turkey, gravy must be served :lol: I tasked his mother with that :coffee:

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
:yahoo:

I told him stakes are high. Everyone says how amazing it is so he better not eff this up! :mad: I think his plan is to smoke it low for 8 hours.

I heard about the gravy. Sounds like we really won't be needing it, and I'm not a gravy person anyways. But everyone else insists if there's a turkey, gravy must be served :lol: I tasked his mother with that :coffee:

We're cooking the turkey this year and my MIL is on gravy duty. I have not mastered the homemade technique just yet.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
We're cooking the turkey this year and my MIL is on gravy duty. I have not mastered the homemade technique just yet.

I didn't grow up on the typical gravy, especially the real thick brown kind :shrug: In my family our mashed potatoes are usually of some fancy gourmet recipe and don't require gravy on top anyways. Only time we make it is for the turkey on thanksgiving and I guess I always missed that tutorial when I as clearing up the pasta dishes :confused: Plus our "gravy" looks more like olive oil with some butter and turkey drippings. It's delicious but apparently down here, that's the wrong kind :rolleyes: :lol:

DEEKAYPEE8569

I know this about turkey, but IRT gravy making.....
I tried making gravy for pork chops once. I used the pan drippings. Got carried away with browning the flour though; heat was too high, so the gravy was dark brown and THICK; could have laid bricks with it; but chicken stock fixed it. Didn't taste too bad either.

Last edited: