This is a real question:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Why is it that when a cop shoot someone it becomes a mark on EVERY cop, yet when a black guy shoots someone we don't hate all black men?

Again, that's a real question - for all I know there is a real reason behind it.

Hijinx

I don,t think we all blame the cop. Just à segment of society does,Most of us tend o give the cop the benefit of the doubt.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...
Why is it that when a cop shoot someone it becomes a mark on EVERY cop, yet when a black guy shoots someone we don't hate all black men? Again, that's a real question - for all I know there is a real reason behind it.
Because there is a black man in the white house?

B

barsook8

Perhaps it comes as a result of either/or or both/and: expectations (we're biased - rightly or wrongly - to expect that police "don't," but black men "do") and "slack cut" to those some would see as underdogs ("black men" get the benefit of the doubt due to real or perceived social forces, whereas "police" do not). Police are also viewed from a very real love/hate perspective. "Black men" might be as well, but for most folks, "police" are more visible (and thus real) than the news-reported "black man."

limblips

PREMO Member
I think it is because police are expected to adhere to a higher standard when it comes to the law. Sadly, that causes any "bad" cop action to be projected as an epidemic of police lawlessness. The pundits love to post statistics but they sure don't like to post the numbers when it comes to good vs bad cops. I am not condoning bad cop behavior and neither do other cops but to ignore the true numbers is BS.

LibertyBeacon

Unto dust we shall return
Why is it that when a cop shoot someone it becomes a mark on EVERY cop, yet when a black guy shoots someone we don't hate all black men?

Again, that's a real question - for all I know there is a real reason behind it.

If irony were a vitamin the recommended daily allowance would have been exceeded by this post.

By orders of magnitude.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Perhaps it comes as a result of either/or or both/and: expectations (we're biased - rightly or wrongly - to expect that police "don't," but black men "do") and "slack cut" to those some would see as underdogs ("black men" get the benefit of the doubt due to real or perceived social forces, whereas "police" do not). Police are also viewed from a very real love/hate perspective. "Black men" might be as well, but for most folks, "police" are more visible (and thus real) than the news-reported "black man."

I think it is because police are expected to adhere to a higher standard when it comes to the law. Sadly, that causes any "bad" cop action to be projected as an epidemic of police lawlessness. The pundits love to post statistics but they sure don't like to post the numbers when it comes to good vs bad cops. I am not condoning bad cop behavior and neither do other cops but to ignore the true numbers is BS.

Food for thought.

I started thinking about this when I saw the vid of the young black guy being all emotional and blaming ALL cops, not just the particular one who murdered that kid. And he's in Chicago, where black men kill more other black men than cops ever dreamed of

http://home.chicagopolice.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/2011-Murder-Report.pdf

Why is nobody protesting and rallying about that?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
If irony were a vitamin the recommended daily allowance would have been exceeded by this post.

By orders of magnitude.

If you're too stupid to answer her question just say you are.. everyone else already knows it so there really is nothing to lose.

Radiant1

Soul Probe
The thought crossed my mind that black men do get grouped together much as the cops do. You know the scenario, a little old white lady holds tighter to her purse when she passes a black man even though that man may be the most law-abiding citizen in the US. Generally speaking, they all get stereotyped. :shrug:

Hijinx

The thought crossed my mind that black men do get grouped together much as the cops do. You know the scenario, a little old white lady holds tighter to her purse when she passes a black man even though that man may be the most law-abiding citizen in the US. Generally speaking, they all get stereotyped. :shrug:

Stereo typing does not just come out of the mist. Of course anytime we use generalities we place the innocent in with the guilty, There are always exceptions.
But there is a background for most stereotypes.

dan0623_2000

Maybe that is because blacks do more criminal acts than whites?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

True, but it's socially acceptable to hate and fear cops. People will put right out in public, on their Facebook in front of their friends, family, and the world that cops are killers and they suck. Imagine if someone put that in public about black men. Yes, there are people out there who loathe black people and make no bones about it, but it's not something that the rest of us sympathize with or applaud.

White media panders to black people and takes the extremists seriously, like they are representative and have a valid point. "Well, of course they want to kill all white people. Look at the way we've treated them. I mean, my god, they were slaves." It's not just cops, either; one white person uses a racial slur, and that makes ALL white people aholes. Yet it's not socially acceptable to do that with black people.

I wonder if this is just a media creation - grabbed a few nuts and make a big story out of it. It seems to go on mostly in ghettos and college campuses. I don't see this sort of negative racial interaction in my day to day life, and I'll bet you don't either. You don't see black people demanding that Giant and Target give them a "safe space" or radiating the hostility you see on TV.

This_person

COP is a JOB
People are Born Black

I think this is a lot of it. In short, police shooting someone are not living up to the expectations of those they are sworn to protect (in a few, rare cases but those are the cases that make the news). Add to that the idea that the police may carry guns and most of us cannot. Add to that the belief (real or not, it's what the news tells us) that police will get away with it, and you have a reason to resent/fear police with guns.

A citizen, be she or he white, black, brown, yellow, red, or some mutt-mix thereof, is likely to be charged, convicted, and sentenced appropriately - and they're not out there doing their job, they're just being wrong. A cop is supposed to be doing his job, and is instead violating that TRUST.

Just a thought.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
A citizen, be she or he white, black, brown, yellow, red, or some mutt-mix thereof, is likely to be charged, convicted, and sentenced appropriately - and they're not out there doing their job, they're just being wrong. A cop is supposed to be doing his job, and is instead violating that TRUST.

That makes perfect sense. The same reason why I dislike doctors, so it's a control thing as well - someone who has control over you and your well-being who might be untrustworthy.

It's still wrong to blanket stereotype, but now I understand it. Thanks!

PsyOps

Pixelated
If you're too stupid to answer her question just say you are.. everyone else already knows it so there really is nothing to lose.

The paradox is that if he is too stupid to answer the question, he's too stupid to know he's too stupid to answer the question.

Bushy23

Judging by all the comments on these type of threads, everyone around here already things all black people are criminals. So I don't see why this question is being asked.