Home Foundation Settling Crack

Trev

Hello all,

I have a foundation crack that was repaired before I bought my home 6 years ago, and now it's starting to leak water again and I'm getting some small cracks in the drywall on the main level. I've looked on here without much luck and I'm waiting to hear back from a few builders/contractors that might be able to repair it again. What I really need though is a good structural engineer who can assess the root cause of the crack and see if there are any issues that need to be fixed before the crack gets worse. Anyone have recommendations on who provides these types of services? Thanks!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Ugh, the same thing happened to my house when we had that earthquake. I called all over the place and there is no one locally who does that kind of work, unless they're just keeping themselves well hidden. Your best bet is to contact one of the services in B'more or DC and see if they'll come down, or if they can recommend someone locally.

These guys had a good rating on Angie's List: https://www.bdry.com/foundation-repair

Good luck!

ciwmj

Hello all,

I have a foundation crack that was repaired before I bought my home 6 years ago, and now it's starting to leak water again and I'm getting some small cracks in the drywall on the main level. I've looked on here without much luck and I'm waiting to hear back from a few builders/contractors that might be able to repair it again. What I really need though is a good structural engineer who can assess the root cause of the crack and see if there are any issues that need to be fixed before the crack gets worse. Anyone have recommendations on who provides these types of services? Thanks!

We had a foundation settling with the same symptoms a number of years ago. We found www.jeswork.com .The work was done to remedy the problem and we have had no further probems.

black dog

Free America
Ask one of the local builders, there is someone local that does those repairs. They also do pressure epoxy injection to seal the crack.

Trev

Ugh, the same thing happened to my house when we had that earthquake. I called all over the place and there is no one locally who does that kind of work, unless they're just keeping themselves well hidden. Your best bet is to contact one of the services in B'more or DC and see if they'll come down, or if they can recommend someone locally.

These guys had a good rating on Angie's List: https://www.bdry.com/foundation-repair

Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll contact them and see if they can come down for a quote.

We had a foundation settling with the same symptoms a number of years ago. We found www.jeswork.com .The work was done to remedy the problem and we have had no further probems.

That's reassuring you used them and had no issues. They're actually coming down to look at it in a few weeks. I read several negative reviews about them talking about how they're more sales people, are pushy, and try to add extra work that's not needed.

Ask one of the local builders, there is someone local that does those repairs. They also do pressure epoxy injection to seal the crack.

Thanks, I've reached out to a few of them, hoping to hear back this week after the holidays. Another option is to spend the $470 and buy one of the expoxy injection kits and do it myself.

steppinthrax

You'd be surprised to find that you can do many of the foundation repair work yourself w/o a contractor. What type of crack is it, is it a step crack, horizontal crack? Do you have a cinder-block foundation etc? What is the year of the house?

Trev

You'd be surprised to find that you can do many of the foundation repair work yourself w/o a contractor. What type of crack is it, is it a step crack, horizontal crack? Do you have a cinder-block foundation etc? What is the year of the house?

House was built in 2006. The foundation is poured concrete. The foundation crack is vertical in nature and is right around where one of the main support beams is. The house is a single story with an unfinished basement. As a temporary fix I put concrete filler with a caulking gun. If I do it myself I'm going to buy one of those epoxy injection kits. The main thing I want to find out is there is a reason for concern. I understand settling is common, but questions I have includes should I put a support pole between the floor and beam to reduce the stress, things of that nature.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
House was built in 2006. The foundation is poured concrete. The foundation crack is vertical in nature and is right around where one of the main support beams is. The house is a single story with an unfinished basement. As a temporary fix I put concrete filler with a caulking gun. If I do it myself I'm going to buy one of those epoxy injection kits. The main thing I want to find out is there is a reason for concern. I understand settling is common, but questions I have includes should I put a support pole between the floor and beam to reduce the stress, things of that nature.

Not concrete filler.. short of forced epoxy you'd want to chisel out the Crack and fill with Hydraulic Cement...

steppinthrax

Crack filler is not going to do ####. How long is the crack. A picture would help. It seems to me that your foundation/footing wasn't compacted enough or poured deep enough. You should have a perfect foundation in a 2006 home!!!!!!

Trev

Crack filler is not going to do ####. How long is the crack. A picture would help. It seems to me that your foundation/footing wasn't compacted enough or poured deep enough. You should have a perfect foundation in a 2006 home!!!!!!

Haha keyword is temporary. I have people coming by on Friday to repair it.