Liberal raised children VS Conservative raised children.

BlueBird

Every other year my wife's family does a big family re-union for Thanks giving. Great family but heavily divided along party lines. On the liberal side of the family the kids were generally disrespectful towards all of the adults. There were four pregnancies all out of wedlock and three of them were from daughters still in High School with the youngest being just 14 years old. Zero pregnancy on the conservative side of the family (out of wedlock) kids were significantly better behaved and much more respectful towards the adults. Here's what was most interesting... All of the teenagers from the liberal side of the family kept disappearing and when they returned they did so smelling like marajuana and God knows what else they were in to. To be fair a few of the conservative raised teenagers partook but just a very few by comparison. All but one college age conservative teenager was enrolled in college compared to most of the liberal kids just living at home with mom and dad doing various jobs and complaining that there wasn't anything out there for them. I suggested to a few of them that they should consider the military. Big mistake on my part as I was told by their parents "my son will never go in the military".

It was a fun time and a good reminder as to why I can't stand being around leftists.

BlueBird

Interesting. Was it hard to keep quiet and remain calm?

No not hard, they're just ignorant and I'm above that. My way is superior and the proof was evident not only with how well my kids have turned out but how well most of the conservative raised kids turned out in comparison to the left "anything goes" side of the family.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
But that makes sense. Kids whose mommies and daddies have a new age parenting style are going to have kids who are less respectful. Kids these days aren't expected to behave - that's a cold hard truth. Whereas when mommy and dad are old school and actually punish their child for misbehavior, you're going to see a lot less nonsense.

I'll tell you what's interesting, though: presidential kids. By all accounts, Chelsea Clinton was a model child and is now a terrific adult. Sasha and Malia are fine girls. The Bush twins were okay, fairly normal teens, but my god those Reagan buttheads!!! And doesn't Jeb Bush have a crackhead daughter? They don't seem to follow the same pattern as civilian kids.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
But that makes sense. Kids whose mommies and daddies have a new age parenting style are going to have kids who are less respectful. Kids these days aren't expected to behave - that's a cold hard truth. Whereas when mommy and dad are old school and actually punish their child for misbehavior, you're going to see a lot less nonsense.

I'll tell you what's interesting, though: presidential kids. By all accounts, Chelsea Clinton was a model child and is now a terrific adult. Sasha and Malia are fine girls. The Bush twins were okay, fairly normal teens, but my god those Reagan buttheads!!! And doesn't Jeb Bush have a crackhead daughter? They don't seem to follow the same pattern as civilian kids.

There is no pattern. People tend to raise their kids differently than their parents raised them, trying to provide the things we wish we had. BB's experience, I can't argue with other than to take his word that 'conservative = great kids, productive members of society' and 'liberal parents = dregs'. But that's clearly not a hard and fast or even general rule. Could there be more conservative parents than Barbara and 41? And, by most accounts, Jeb was the model kid and we know Dubbya was a coke head and alcoholic so, it's not even consistent in a family. Bubba came from chaos and you noted how his kid turned out.

We know, in general, kids do better from intact nuclear families but that is in general and barely so. In general, generalizations don't mean much. :shrug:

BlueBird

The point of my observation wasn't to proclaim that all liberal raised children are bad. However, I do believe that children raised by liberal parents are more likely to explore with drugs, sex and other risky behaviors that a conservative raised child will likely stay away from. It was very evident in my wife's family who the liberal raised children were and who the conservative raised children were. We had a discussion with the conservative side of the family who made many of the same observations. One of the liberal mom's who's 19 year old son was there still lives at home (not that unusual), does not work, does not go to school, still gets an allowance, does drugs, got a girl pregnant when he was 14 and the list goes on. Just one example.

My side of the family is probably 90% conservative and although we're probably not as much fun at parties we don't have any teen age pregnancy or issues with drugs and most of the kids are very respectful and successful in school and in life. We have our family issues, we're not perfect by any definition, but if our biggest issue is the occasional family grudge than so be it. Teaching our children what's right and wrong and instilling values and morals in them produces better adults than just letting them do whatever they want and allowing them to learn from their own mistakes and explore whatever they feel like exploring.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I spent 5 months camphosting in the western part of Virginia. I was surprised at how well mannered most of the children were. Very polite kids and not much bellyaching going on. So the conclusion I drew is that families that camp together seem to have well adjusted kids. With almost no phone service out that way people had to spend time communicating with each other instead of being tethered to their devices.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I spent 5 months camphosting in the western part of Virginia. I was surprised at how well mannered most of the children were. Very polite kids and not much bellyaching going on. So the conclusion I drew is that families that camp together seem to have well adjusted kids. With almost no phone service out that way people had to spend time communicating with each other instead of being tethered to their devices.

I like that.

BlueBird

So another words: Kids raised with good values and morals are more likely to behave and be respectful? Liberal raised children are much more likely to be raised with out the same values as conservative kids. Good spin and observation though and in your example your observation is what one expect.

PeoplesElbow

Everything isn't about politics. Some of the worst kids I ever knew growing up were the sons of a local Baptist minister.

I witnessed both good and bad kids come from liberal and conservative families. The simple definitions of liberal and conservative are not even remotely enough categories to put people into.

BlueBird

Everything isn't about politics. Some of the worst kids I ever knew growing up were the sons of a local Baptist minister.

I witnessed both good and bad kids come from liberal and conservative families. The simple definitions of liberal and conservative are not even remotely enough categories to put people into.

Never said it was about politics and I guess it was in all of our imaginations that the liberal families had disrespectful drug using kids and that all of the out of marriage pregnancy was on that side of the family. I never mentioned politics just liberal values vs conservative values.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Liberal Parents = let precious snow flake do what he / she wants .. minimal boundaries, explore

Conservative Parents = here are the rules, operate with in them, and go have fun

- If your mother or I calls out your name, pause your game / tv show / put down the book, and answer her immediately or lose privileges [people complaint my wife all the time, on how good my daughters manners are]

I can tell who the liberal parents are at school, trying to negotiate good behavior out of the children, ask, pleading, begging them to stop what their doing

:buddies:

H

Hodr

[...] that all of the out of marriage pregnancy was on that side of the family.

As you keep mentioning this, and as it is somewhat contrary to my own experience, I decided to look it up. Most websites seem to agree that the percentages red/blue of unmarried and teen pregnancy are close to the same. However, the top 10 states for teenage pregnancy are almost entirely Red, if that says anything.

Maybe the liberal side of your family isn't perfectly representative of all liberals, just as the conservative side might not be perfectly representative of all conservatives.

H

Hodr

Liberal Parents = let precious snow flake do what he / she wants .. minimal boundaries, explore

Conservative Parents = here are the rules, operate with in them, and go have fun

- If your mother or I calls out your name, pause your game / tv show / put down the book, and answer her immediately or lose privileges [people complaint my wife all the time, on how good my daughters manners are]

I can tell who the liberal parents are at school, trying to negotiate good behavior out of the children, ask, pleading, begging them to stop what their doing

I have the password to the router, which is in a locked room, and have disabled the reset switch. My kids aren't old enough for it to be a discipline method yet, but I expect I should be able to get them to behave by redirecting all of their http requests to a locally hosted page with a list of chores that need doing.

Larry Gude

Strung Out

So letting 'snowflakes' run wild is...protecting and coddling? And having kid operate under hypocrisy, figuring out how to manipulate and get around those rules is...nurturing and good for them? There are FAR too many examples of siblings raised under the same roof, same rules, or lack there of, with completely different outcomes to spend much time on the anti intellectual exercise of declaring black and white views of good and bad and right and wrong and there are far too many examples of very good people coming from awful backgrounds and awful people coming from good ones.

g.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
However, the top 10 states for teenage pregnancy are almost entirely Red, if that says anything.

I want to interject real quick. "They" always say teen pregnancy, but they don't take into account how many of those teens might be married. If you say that to some liberal - that you married your high school sweetheart at 18 or 19 and started a family - they'll look at you with their mouth open because they can't imagine anyone doing that. But red staters typically get married and have their babies, while perhaps more blues are aborting.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I want to interject real quick. "They" always say teen pregnancy, but they don't take into account how many of those teens might be married. If you say that to some liberal - that you married your high school sweetheart at 18 or 19 and started a family - they'll look at you with their mouth open because they can't imagine anyone doing that. But red staters typically get married and have their babies, while perhaps more blues are aborting.

Or using birth control.

BlueBird

Just as we could easily tell which kids had liberal parents. It is also easy to tell which posters here are liberal. Liberals don't want to acknowledge that there is a place for Christian values and rules when it comes to raising children. Sure there will always be exceptions to the rule like the Baptist preachers child rebelling, however kids raised with a moral compass are much more likely to think twice before they just do whatever "feels good".

The statistic regarding teen age pregnancy is severely flawed. Unemployment, taxes, murders and crime in general are all higher in liberal cities then it is in conservative cities (as are abortion rates), so it looks like what we observed in my wife's family can also be seen on a larger scale in society.