C: Drive Full

DEEKAYPEE8569

PsyOps' tred got me thinking about this.

I have a partition set that allows for a c drive and a d drive. The c drive shows almost completely red. Even I know that that means the drive is full, or at least near full. From what I have been able to find, there are no massive data files; pictures, videos etc. that would normally eat up drive space. At one time I had Window Washer, or some variation, that worked. I still have; and use; CCleaner, but that does nothing to free up c drive space. I have run the program with and without administrator settings.....privileges; whatever the proper term is. Nothing I've used frees up disc space. :scratchinghead:

DEEKAYPEE8569

windows 7 ?

have you emptied the trash can
.... reduced the number of system restore points or turn it off completely to cause a data flush

Win 7 [IIRC] builds a cache in the sys folder that sucks up space

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-clean-out-your-overflowing-hard-drive-and-get-yo-510511720

Yes, Win 7. I empty that particular trash can more often than I empty any others in the house. You can turn off system restore points? He asked, totally clueless.
Well, I have homework for later today. Thanks.

tomabell

Another thing that you might try is to simply go into your browser and empty (all) of your temporary internet files. Sometimes (especially in IE), the default max size MB for your storage of Temp internet files goes corrupt and will consume your C: drive with temp. internet files.

H

Hodr

Another thing that you might try is to simply go into your browser and empty (all) of your temporary internet files. Sometimes (especially in IE), the default max size MB for your storage of Temp internet files goes corrupt and will consume your C: drive with temp. internet files.

This (and most temp files) is done by CCleaner, which DEEKAY mentioned that he used. Growing windows folder is probably the culprit, as gurps mentioned the DLL caching and system restore points are generally at fault.

You could run a visualization tool like WinDirStat that will show you exactly where all your space is being used.