What qualifies Police Officers to drive fast?

Petter Solberg

This question applies to Police Officers when they are in the line of duty.

Yesterday I noticed two state police cars turning very quickly from St. Andrews Church Rd onto 235 South. They both had a single hand positioned at the top of the steering wheel while performing and coming out of the turn.
This tells me that they are not instructed/qualified "Performance" drivers. So, what seperates their ability from a common driver? Why are they allowed to drive fast if they aren't qualified or instructed on how to do so?

I am a modestly taught driver in the skill of "High Performance Driving" and can tell ya that it takes much skill to safely drive an automobile fast. One hand on the top of the steering wheel is not the correct way to steer a car, especially when performing a fast turn.

Rob

Petter Solberg

You obviously don't understand the question. My question is:
What level of high performance driving instruction do local police officers have? By what I witnessed yesterday, I would say they have had no instruction. I am hoping that a Police Officer roaming these boards can answer this.

Originally posted by jazz lady
Because they are the 'po-po' and can. :duh:

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
:shrug: I heard they were issued a PS2 and this:
doublepack_l.gif
doublepack_r.gif

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Petter Solberg
You obviously don't understand the question. My question is:
What level of high performance driving instruction do local police officers have? By what I witnessed yesterday, I would say they have had no instruction. I am hoping that a Police Officer roaming these boards can answer this.
You obviously don't understand my sarcasm - directed at them, not you. I think most, if not all, the officers in this area have some very bad driving habits combined with the mentality they can drive fast no matter what, emergency or no, is a potentially very deadly combination.

Petter Solberg

Sorry, I took what ya said the wrong way.

Originally posted by jazz lady
You obviously don't understand my sarcasm - directed at them, not you. I think most, if not all, the officers in this area have some very bad driving habits combined with the mentality they can drive fast no matter what, emergency or no, is a potentially very deadly combination.

dustin

UAIOE
You could just call the MSP station and ask. :shrug:

Shoot if I had the time I'd stroll right in to the station in Leonardtown and ask them what the requirements are...

willie

Originally posted by dustin

Shoot if I had the time I'd stroll right in to the station in Leonardtown and ask them what the requirements are...
They don't take criticism very well.
128hanged.gif

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Originally posted by willie
128hanged.gif

that's what i was thinking ... they'd see his name on caller ID, and have a no-performance-driving po-po trail him to put him though 50 humiliating tests of his driver abilities. :lol:

Shakezula

Insert Lame Innuendo Here
nuh uh

Originally posted by dustin
You could just call the MSP station and ask. :shrug:

I had to call them once about an accident, something about a form an officer gave me to fill out when I was caught at the beginning of a 3-car-rear-end collision. When I called the office whoever answered the phone was completely rude to me, when all I was asking was a question. I am not sure how they would react to *your* question!! But good luck!

Toxick

Splat
Originally posted by willie
128hanged.gif

I'm leaving in a couple weeks.

Remind me, and the day before I'll leave, I'll go in and ask them. I'll be sure to coat my larynx with droll laden sarcasto-juice before I go in, and issue the finger as I go out.

Any officers reading this: it's just a joke, k?

dustin

UAIOE
Or just find some black and white at a gas station and ask him what the deal is... He's probably bored out of his skull anyways.

Elle

Happy Camper!
I would assume they would need at least basic EVOC training:shrug:

The objective of this course is to provide students with information on sensible and safe emergency vehicle driving procedures and collision avoidance and to develop basic skills in the operation of fire and rescue service apparatus.

Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to describe the major concepts of emergency vehicle driving including safety, legal issues, communications, vehicle inspection and preparation, physical forces affecting driving and the operation of an emergency vehicle; and demonstrate basic competency as a driver of an emergency vehicle.

Major topics covered in the course are safe driving and collision avoidance, Maryland motor vehicle statutes, route selection and communications, vehicle inspection and driving preparation, physical forces affecting driving, lights and sirens, basic control tasks, urban driving, negotiating intersections, turnarounds, following and passing vehicles, high-speed driving, dealing with adverse conditions and contingencies, and emergency parking. Methods of instruction include lecture, discussion, classroom exercises, audio/visual material, instructor evaluation, completion of exercises, homework, final written examination, and skills performance check off.

ACE Credit Recommendations:
The ACE/CREDIT recommendation for the course is in the lower division baccalaureate/associate degree category, 2 semester hours in Fire Science Technology (12/99).

Prerequisites:
Current valid Motor Vehicle License for the class of vehicle the student will be operating on the driving range. A letter from the chief of the department stating you are a current first line driver for your department.

Must attend sessions 3,8,9,10,11,12, and 13.
Student must supply emergency vehicle for practical sessions.

unixpirate

Pitty Party
I love this forum.. Kudos to you Pete, :clap: :clap: although I act like I know you by calling you Pete. Hope you don't mind cause I don't.

I have asked myself many times what allows the Po Lease (suppose to be funny, didn't know it was two syllables did ya?), to drive like they do. Flying through lights with siren going. I mean flying.. It amazes me to think what there thinking as they fly through an intersection and not as many accidents. Scary! :tantrum
The other ass kicker is them just plain flying down the road doing at least 20 miles over the speed limit. They came up behind you so you get out of the way, but if your doing the speed limit shouldn't they stay right with you?

I would also like to hear some feedback from someone about this that is in the law inforcement.
:confused:

Pushrod

Patriot
Because they are the elite citizens and therefor are better than the rest of us. Laws and penalties don't apply to them.

Cletus_Vandam

even I know the answer to this ONE!!!

ever hear the one about a male dog... You know the one.

Q: Why does a dog lick his....

A: Because he can.

I think the same answer applies to this question.

Let me try and shed some light on the training... All officers are required to take several courses, classes and training before being authorized to respond. EVOC was mentioned earlier, there are also accident investigation classes, defensive and offensive driver training, etc. The levels, types of classes etc. vary depending upon the department (County, State, Federal jurisdiction type of thing). Regardless of the training, everyone has developed habits-some good, some bad. What you saw was someone too relaxed while driving at an elevated speed. I wasn't there and didn't see, but I have certainly seen my share of these types of actions and none are correct when looking at how they were trained.

However, have you ever made a lane change w/o signaling, do you always come to a complete stop at all stops signs, ever drive over the posted speed limit? I think we are all quilty of driving carelessly at one time or another. Most times we all come away unscaved...

Like I said, not trying to bust your... (well, what a dog can lick) but I think driving is something that everyone can find fault in (at one time or another) regardless of how good a driver one believes he/she is.