Why you take your dog to a groomer instead of DIY

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Apollo goes to Shelley's Pet Boutique (https://www.facebook.com/Shelleys-Pet-Boutique-139601686087455/) and always looks so spiffy when he gets done, plus he loves Shelley and Dawn. I asked her to show me how to groom him for when we're on the road - I don't want to take him to some stranger because of that story about the groomer who lopped that dog's ear off and superglued it back on. :twitch:

So tonight I got to watch while she trimmed his hair and face, did his toes, etc. I was totally impressed! There's a lot more that goes into dog grooming than what you'd think, and I don't even have anything special done to Apollo, nor is he a behavior problem.

The biggest reason is that she knows how to make your dog sit still and behave without being mean to him or getting grouchy. The second biggest reason is that she's FAST. And the third reason is that she has all sorts of cool tools and they're all in top condition.

So if you ever get winchy about spending the money to take your dog to get his/her hairs did, it really is worth it because most people can't do it as efficiently or, frankly, that well at home.

ginwoman

I totally agree. You really need to know your stuff and Shelley does. I love Shelley and Dawn too.

Roman

I take my girls to Rita's Groomers in Prince Frederick. They get excited to go there. My deaf dog screams with delight when we pull in the parking lot. Rita and Coleen are the best.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Plus most groomers will express the anal glands for free which is definitely not something I'd want to do.

frequentflier

happy to be living
Apollo goes to Shelley's Pet Boutique (https://www.facebook.com/Shelleys-Pet-Boutique-139601686087455/) and always looks so spiffy when he gets done, plus he loves Shelley and Dawn. I asked her to show me how to groom him for when we're on the road - I don't want to take him to some stranger because of that story about the groomer who lopped that dog's ear off and superglued it back on. :twitch:

So tonight I got to watch while she trimmed his hair and face, did his toes, etc. I was totally impressed! There's a lot more that goes into dog grooming than what you'd think, and I don't even have anything special done to Apollo, nor is he a behavior problem.

The biggest reason is that she knows how to make your dog sit still and behave without being mean to him or getting grouchy. The second biggest reason is that she's FAST. And the third reason is that she has all sorts of cool tools and they're all in top condition.

So if you ever get winchy about spending the money to take your dog to get his/her hairs did, it really is worth it because most people can't do it as efficiently or, frankly, that well at home.

Poor Dexter, he always looks so embarrassed after I take scissors to him.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
I take Mags to Dang Dirty Dog in Hollywood. They're always super fast too. She's hardly ever there longer than an hour. I knew I'd found the right place too, when I warned them about the "Shiba Scream" the first time I took her, and their response was to shrug and laugh, saying they knew all about that shiba nonsense. :lol:

After they wash her in this fantastic oatmeal shampoo which has helped her skin conditions tremendously, I watch 2-3 girls team up and converge on her all at once to get her nails done before she really realizes what's happening. And Shibas do NOT let you touch their paws, so doing them myself without 3 other people to help, gets me nowhere. Her coat doesn't need any kind of trimming or cuts, but I swear I can't get close to brushing out her undercoat like they do. That's worth the $40-50 alone.

I could easily wash her myself, and if I need to I always use Peppers since those dog wash stations are so much better than my tub while Maggie is throwing a fit. But since she only needs a decent bath a couple times a year, taking her to the dog spa is totally worth it. I just called them yesterday to make my appt for her so she's super fresh before we head to my parents place for the holidays :yay:

If she needs a nail trim in between spa visits, I hit up petco. But I try to avoid weekends.