Contractor to Install Flush Lights in Rooms

NBF

In MD I guess there is no law that requires contractors to install ceiling lighting in each room. Seems the original owners would have had this custom home built with lighting installed in each room, but no!

Was wondering if anyone had the same experience and had lights installed later. If so, please name contractor and if you would hire them again. If you could provide cost it would be helpful if within the last few years.

NBF

vince77

In MD I guess there is no law that requires contractors to install ceiling lighting in each room. Seems the original owners would have had this custom home built with lighting installed in each room, but no!

Was wondering if anyone had the same experience and had lights installed later. If so, please name contractor and if you would hire them again. If you could provide cost it would be helpful if within the last few years.

NBF

Figure on about $200 per ceiling light

Installing the light fixture is easy; drill a hole with a 3" hole saw (preferably in-between the joists...:biggrin:) and put in an "old work" ceiling box.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_70983-223-B618RR-UPC_1z0xc7b__?productId=999911969&pl=1

If the box is going to support any weight (ceiling fan), you need something like one of these:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_73178-53911...tId=3318592&pl=1&Ntt=ceiling+fan+electric+box

The tougher part is getting it wired. If there is no ceiling box currently, there is probably no switch. That means having to drill holes down thru the ceiling on the inside of the wall and snake a wire down to a new switch. More a job for an electrician rather than a handyman, unless you get a handyman that is electric literate.

Chris0nllyn

Depending when the house was built, the "in" thing was switched receptacles.

Pretty easy job, so any electrician can do it.

NBF

Depending when the house was built, the "in" thing was switched receptacles.

Pretty easy job, so any electrician can do it.

Yes, you are right. I do have switches on the walls and a few outlets in each room. I'm wondering if the electrician will have a harder time with the first floor vice the second floor as the attic is above the second floor.

No names of contractors?

Thanks to all that have answered.

Chris0nllyn

Yes, you are right. I do have switches on the walls and a few outlets in each room. I'm wondering if the electrician will have a harder time with the first floor vice the second floor as the attic is above the second floor.

No names of contractors?

Thanks to all that have answered.

If you search "electrician" on here, you may find some threads discussing an electrician someone had good luck with.

Depending which way your floor joists run (and they type, solid or "webbed"), it could be a simple pull of wire. If they run opposite, it could mean a large piece of drywall will need to be cut out so they can drill through and run the wire.

No matter what happens, you'll need to patch and paint the drywall as well. I was able to re-wire my switched receptacles (the switch turns the plug on and off) and added a ceiling fan to 3 rooms (second floor, attic above) in a few hours.

Maybe a good handyman is a better option, as they can do both the wiring and patching.