‘Our Coal-Fired Power Plants Have to Begin to Phase Out’

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Kerry: ‘Our Coal-Fired Power Plants Have to Begin to Phase Out’

At an event hosted by the tech site Mashable along with the U.N. Foundation on Monday, Kerry said: “President Obama has put in place one of the most ambitious national climate action plans in the world. We’ve doubled our car efficiency and truck--We’re requiring our coal-fired power plants have to begin to phase out.”

Kerry made the statements while discussing the impact the private sector and the marketplace will have on carbon emissions.

“It’s the private sector, the next Elon Musk or Steve Jobs is going to find a way to do battery storage for alternative and renewable energy, or we’re going to find a way to burn energy, or maybe this dream of fusion is going to be accelerated and actually have a commercial viability,” Kerry said.

“I don’t know the answer, but I have absolute confidence in the ability of capital to move where the signal of the marketplace says ‘go’ after Paris.

“And if 184 plus nations sign on to a durable agreement with a review and accountability and transparency here in Paris, you watch the world begin to change. And already mayors all across the world are coming together to do things at the local level that they can order by administrative order. Already you’re seeing fleet purchases of automobiles change. Buildings codes are changing.

“President Obama has put in place one of the most ambitious national climate action plans in the world. We’ve doubled our car efficiency and truck – we’re requiring our coal-fired power plants have to begin to phase out.

“We have new standards for new power plants. We have an incredible array of steps we are taking to meet this challenge.”

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
1968 Malibu MPG 11-13 (SS 396)
2015 Malibu MPG 25-36 (2.5L I4)

Funny. I seriously doubt that Kerry meant that long of a time frame and, besides, your comparison had little to do with basic engine efficiency, which has changed little over the years although emissions certainly have changed.

But in keeping with that theme, shouldn't Barry also then give coal plants 40 years to evolve also?

Last edited:

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
When do we break ground on our next nuclear power plant here in ConUS? Because sunshine and unicorn farts aren't going to be able keep the DC spain machine going, much less any thing else.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Because sunshine and unicorn farts aren't going to be able keep the DC spain machine going, much less any thing else.

you will live in soviet style blocking housing, crammed around DC, and suffer brown outs, while our leaders live in Dacha's in what used to be the suburbs

Funny. I seriously doubt that Kerry meant that long of a time frame and, besides, your comparison had little to do with basic engine efficiency, which has changed little over the years although emissions certainly have changed.

But in keeping with that theme, shouldn't Barry also then give coal plants 40 years to evolve also?

You missed what I assumed was obvious sarcasm.