Donald Trump: Free speech foolish, shut down the internet

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Donald Trump: Free speech foolish, shut down the internet

Following the deadly terror attack in San Bernardino, Donald Trump commanded the media spotlight after releasing a statement that all Muslims should be banned from entering the U.S.

“Donald J. Trump is calling for a total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States until our country’s representatives can figure out what is going on,” a campaign press release said. In his latest media bonanza, Trump suggested Bill Gates close the internet “in some way,” saying people who ask about freedom of speech are foolish.

“We have to see Bill Gates and a lot of different people that really understand what’s happening. We have to talk to them maybe in certain areas, closing that internet up in some way. Somebody will say, ‘Oh, freedom of speech. Freedom of speech.’ These are foolish people. We have a lot of foolish people.”

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
And you an IT dude.

Not sure what Trump means exactly, but if we could somehow shut down the hackers and scammers, I'd be totally okay with that.

Oh, and Beck's headline is seriously misleading, to the point of it being a downright lie. It's not "freedom of speech" to use the internet with intent to cause harm. The people who are calling it that are indeed foolish.

BigBlue

And you an IT dude.

Not sure what Trump means exactly, but if we could somehow shut down the hackers and scammers, I'd be totally okay with that.

Oh, and Beck's headline is seriously misleading, to the point of it being a downright lie. It's not "freedom of speech" to use the internet with intent to cause harm. The people who are calling it that are indeed foolish.

As in ..............you can't scream "FIRE" in a movie theater and cause a riot , that is not considered "free speech",is that where you're headed?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
As in ..............you can't scream "FIRE" in a movie theater and cause a riot , that is not considered "free speech",is that where you're headed?

Nope. I was going more toward we lock our doors, we lock our cars, we can block people from calling us on our phones, so what's the problem with blocking bad guys on the internet?

Again, I'm not exactly sure what Trump is talking about, but my initial reaction is not outrage. It's like saying that me locking my door is restricting someone else's freedom of movement. That's indeed foolish.

TheLibertonian

Nope. I was going more toward we lock our doors, we lock our cars, we can block people from calling us on our phones, so what's the problem with blocking bad guys on the internet?

Again, I'm not exactly sure what Trump is talking about, but my initial reaction is not outrage. It's like saying that me locking my door is restricting someone else's freedom of movement. That's indeed foolish.

Consider the following.

Every time you grant the government a power, chances are that power will not be rescinded. It is very rare for governments to give up a legal power once they get it. Granting a government such a power doesn't merely give it to them now, but in 10, 30, 50 years.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
And you an IT dude.

I merely posted the article for fodder .... the article is about as outrageous as Trumps Speeches

while I generally don't trust SNOPES ....

http://www.snopes.com/trump-wants-shut-internet/

WHAT'S TRUE: Donald Trump proposed contacting Bill Gates to determine whether specific individuals or groups could be restricted from using the internet.

WHAT'S FALSE: Donald Trump proposed a "shutdown" or "ban" of the internet at large.

WHAT'S Undetermined: Precisely what Trump believed Gates could do, or what specifically Trump believed such a restriction might entail.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Again, I'm not exactly sure what Trump is talking about, but my initial reaction is not outrage.

Indeed, that is part of the problem, its a vague statement ... people are :cds: based on their own assumptions

it is great sport to watch heads explode ....

PsyOps

Pixelated
And you an IT dude.

This is what has people concerned: "Somebody will say, ‘Oh, freedom of speech. Freedom of speech.’ These are foolish people. We have a lot of foolish people.”

Being an IT guy myself I can tell it's virtually impossible to shut down any part of the 'internet' in order to root out people using it maliciously. It's a cat-and-mouse game. They catch them 'there' and they move somewhere else. They shut down a website and it pops up somewhere else under a different name and IP address. Hackers are always 20 steps ahead of the software developers in finding vulnerabilities in software. Where I work, we are constantly pushing out patches to close these vulnerabilities. The internet is so open that any sort of 'shutting it down' is impossible. Too much of what we do in business (private and government) would be impacted by shutting down anything.

Then there's the issue of free speech. TheLibertonian alluded to the slippery slope of justifying ‘dangerous behavior’ as a rationale for ‘shutting down’ parts of the internet; that we should be prepared to be shut down in that effort for the greater good of catching the bad guys. Or, even worse, that someone in power could us this power against people like you and your website; that they might view what’s being posted in this forum as dangerous speech.

These terrorists are going to work around anything that could possibly be ‘blocked’. They are smart. We better be smarter than to just say “screw it, I don’t give a damn what Americans say about freedom of speech, we’re shutting this or that down to stop the bad guys”. If Trump is even remotely serious about this (which I don’t think he is; I think he’s doing what he does best – get people all :jameo: ), then I view him as a very dangerous man.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
it is my understanding it took so long to get Bin Hidden, because he was using Couriers
because Islamists know the NSA / CIA [US Gov] records all international Cell Phone calls

you can hamper or limit communication, but you will never stop it
... there was an article recently the Gov. was paying people to hangout in World of Warcraft looking for 'communication'

Personally I think it is a waste of time, if you have already got a bug* on someones computer you can export the log files from the chat system,
if you don't have the guys PC bugged, unless you have bugs* on Blizzards Servers .... you are never going to catch 2 guys whispering or in a group having a NON public conversation ...

then there is the in game mail system ....
and there are plenty of lesser known multi-player games

it is not that difficult to setup a server for an hour to get messages out ...

*bug - using it as a generic for any software payload that could monitor a user PC

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Consider the following.

Every time you grant the government a power, chances are that power will not be rescinded. It is very rare for governments to give up a legal power once they get it. Granting a government such a power doesn't merely give it to them now, but in 10, 30, 50 years.

Not necessarily. Even Constitutional amendments can be and have been repealed.

Regardless, government is the only entity powerful enough to oversee some of the things we enjoy. Such as our military, our public education system, our highway system, and a number of other things. I get being anti-government because they surely abuse their power, but in some cases it's a necessary evil.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
you can hamper or limit communication, but you will never stop it

That's all you can do with any criminal activity. Murder, theft, and rape will never go away; we can only seek to limit it and punish it when it happens.