Is Christmas Biblical or Sacred Church Tradition?

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
I know as Christians we all hate the BS that Christmas has become.
But based on the Evangelical/Fundamentalist views on the Bible why do they celebrate Christmas. Nowhere have I read that Jesus wanted us to celebrate his birth. He wanted us to celebrate/commemorate/remember his death, but not necessarily his birth. Some actually say that Christmas is a pagan rite.

I feel it is a Sacred Catholic Church tradition in honoring our Savior's birth, handed down to Protestant Churches alike. So, if you are Bible only, you probably are sinning by celebrating Christmas......Shame on you.....

TheLibertonian

Winter soltice -> Saturninen or something liek that -> Christmas -> Christmas mass -> Christmas.

That's pretty much how it's gone.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Everything about Christmas, from the presents to Santa Claus (the Oak & Holly King, Odin, Frau Holda), to your Christmas tree, are based on pagan ceremonies. Back in the early days, when the church was out to win hearts and minds and souls for their church, they found it easier to make converts, if they could tie similar practices together in order to convince the unwashed masses to turn their backs on their pagan ways, and the easiest thing to do was to move Christ's birth and celebrate Christmas, which incorporates pagan rituals and rites from the Norse, Celts, Druids, Germans and even Egyptians and Greeks/Romans, while removing rituals such as sacrifices, blood letting, sexual rites, and worshiping other dieties, etc. The saving of souls justifies this.

Depending on which historian you believe, Jesus was born August 19, or August 21, or August 22, 7BC.

Last edited:

Amused_despair

But based on the Evangelical/Fundamentalist views on the Bible why do they celebrate Christmas. Nowhere have I read that Jesus wanted us to celebrate his birth. He wanted us to celebrate/commemorate/remember his death, but not necessarily his birth. Some actually say that Christmas is a pagan rite.

I feel it is a Sacred Catholic Church tradition in honoring our Savior's birth, handed down to Protestant Churches alike. So, if you are Bible only, you probably are sinning by celebrating Christmas......Shame on you.....

December 25 is actually the birthday of the bull god Mithra, worshipped in the Roman Empire and other areas of Europe around 0-200 or so AD.

PsyOps

Pixelated

Given what Christmas has become (almost nothing resembling a celebration of the birth of Christ), and you believe it was a tradition born from the 'Sacred Catholic Church', I think the CC has a lot of explaining to do. :sarcasm:

Amused_despair

Given what Christmas has become (almost nothing resembling a celebration of the birth of Christ), and you believe it was a tradition born from the 'Sacred Catholic Church', I think the CC has a lot of explaining to do. :sarcasm:

Actually the Church celebration of the religious holiday of Christmas is based on the Gospel telling of the Nativity, along with a few extras such as Advent just to give the non-Catholics something to complain about because Catholics are charitable like that. :) It is the whole celebration of Christmas that is based on pagan ideas (but aren't we pagans to the people who worshipped Odin, Mithra, Isis, Zeus, Morrigan, and such?).

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Any Christian tradition that does NOT violate the scriptures concerning the method of salvation, eternal destination, and biblical Christian living, is up for grabs and promotion/interpretation.

Merry Christmas! Just keep it in perspective, and not the consumer-oriented abortion it has turned into.

C

Chuckt

Jesus told His followers to follow Him and so we do.

In the Bible, the wise men and the angels show up to worship Jesus setting a precedent.

So this is how His angels do things as recorded in the Bible.

And Christmas is a vehicle to proclaim or herald Jesus and His gospel so I think this is the best thing envisioned.

I've written articles on what Christmas is about and I have defended it against so called Christians who do not believe Christmas or some elements of Christmas is Biblical.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
Any Christian tradition that does NOT violate the scriptures concerning the method of salvation, eternal destination, and biblical Christian living, is up for grabs and promotion/interpretation.

Merry Christmas! Just keep it in perspective, and not the consumer-oriented abortion it has turned into.

So Sacred Church tradition is OK.....God Bless

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
Jesus told His followers to follow Him and so we do.

In the Bible, the wise men and the angels show up to worship Jesus setting a precedent.

So this is how His angels do things as recorded in the Bible.

And Christmas is a vehicle to proclaim or herald Jesus and His gospel so I think this is the best thing envisioned.

I've written articles on what Christmas is about and I have defended it against so called Christians who do not believe Christmas or some elements of Christmas is Biblical.

Please post one of your articles......

C

Chuckt

Please post one of your articles......

I think of prophets who died in the Bible for doing something wrong and people who did things that weren't prescribed by God...

I think of the Jews who have God's words and fell into idolatry because of tradition:

John 4:20 Our fathers worshipped in this mountain; and ye say, that in Jerusalem is the place where men ought to worship.
John 4:21 Jesus saith unto her, Woman, believe me, the hour cometh, when ye shall neither in this mountain, nor yet at Jerusalem, worship the Father.
John 4:22 Ye worship ye know not what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews.

This woman looked to tradition and Jesus said that you don't know what you worship and that their unprescribed tradition is changing and worship the Father.

You think you're building a church or worshipping in the correct church? Take heed who built it:

1 Corinthians 3:10 According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon.

You see, there is no commandment or instruction that says to have Christmas except for one verse.

Your work or the work that built your church won't necessarily last God's examination:

1 Corinthians 3:15 If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.

Build it on the rock which is God's words:

Matthew 7:25 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.
Matthew 7:26 And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand:

Tradition can change with the times and is shifting sand.

b23hqb

PREMO Member

BD, believe it or not, there are some things we agree on - God the creator, the Trinity, the death, burial, and resurrection of the Lord, probably the 10 commandments, the Lord's Prayer - along with a number of the usual "traditions". As long as any of your sacred church traditions do not add to/delete from, or obfuscate the written scriptures, then we're good.

There are things we can disagree on that are not crystal clear in the scriptures - certain prophecies fulfilled or not, the various tribulations, other mysteries we can only guess at, etc.

The scriptures of the Bible mean what they say, and says what it means.

TheLibertonian

Let's be strict here. There is no scriptural backing for the celebration of Christmas, both the modern holiday nor the birth of Jesus.

Radiant1

Soul Probe
I could be wrong, but I *think* BirdDog's point is that if it were not for Sacred Tradition (big T) you would not have the tradition (little t) of the date of Christmas. So, by celebrating Christmas on December 25th, one, in essence, assents to Sacred Tradition. The same holds true for worship on Sunday. Interesting, no?

onel0126

Bead mumbler
I could be wrong, but I *think* BirdDog's point is that if it were not for Sacred Tradition (big T) you would not have the tradition (little t) of the date of Christmas. So, by celebrating Christmas on December 25th, one, in essence, assents to Sacred Tradition. The same holds true for worship on Sunday. Interesting, no?
And the same holds true for the annual date of Easter that all Protestants follow...

b23hqb

PREMO Member

I believe The earliest church by the believers met "on the first day of the week (Sunday)" way before any "catholic" showed up on the scene. They simply called themselves "Christians, believers, of this way - not catholic - until your church daddies started inventing and embellishing their own brand of Christ's teachings. Just keep patting yourselves on the back, you good rcc'ers. I don't care if you call it a bit T or a little t, as long as it does not infringe on any scriptural gospels, call it whatever you want.

I just call it Merry Christmas!

C

Chuckt

Let's be strict here. There is no scriptural backing for the celebration of Christmas, both the modern holiday nor the birth of Jesus.

Yes there is.

King James Bible
Not purloining, but shewing all good fidelity; that they may adorn the doctrine of God our Saviour in all things.
http://biblehub.com/titus/2-10.htm

If you're giving gifts and celebrating Christmas, you aren't stealing or purloining but you are adorning the doctrine of God.

C

Chuckt

I believe The earliest church by the believers met "on the first day of the week (Sunday)" way before any "catholic" showed up on the scene. They simply called themselves "Christians, believers, of this way - not catholic - until your church daddies started inventing and embellishing their own brand of Christ's teachings. Just keep patting yourselves on the back, you good rcc'ers. I don't care if you call it a bit T or a little t, as long as it does not infringe on any scriptural gospels, call it whatever you want.

They were called "The Way":

Acts 9:2 And desired of him letters to Damascus to the synagogues, that if he found any of this way, whether they were men or women, he might bring them bound unto Jerusalem.
Act 19:9 But when some became stubborn and continued in unbelief, speaking evil of the Way before the congregation, he withdrew from them and took the disciples with him, reasoning daily in the hall of Tyrannus.
Act 19:23 About that time there arose no little disturbance concerning the Way.
Act 24:14 But this I confess to you, that according to the Way, which they call a sect, I worship the God of our fathers, believing everything laid down by the Law and written in the Prophets,
Act 24:22 But Felix, having a rather accurate knowledge of the Way, put them off, saying, “When Lysias the tribune comes down, I will decide your case.”

John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

https://carm.org/early-christians-called

C

Chuckt

The burden of proof on you is if December 25th is the actual day. I believe the Orthodox practice Christmas two weeks later.

C

Chuckt

If they kept the tradition pure then Christians would be called "The Way".