Base commute today

edinsomd

Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed the commute today. I knew things were going to be fun when traffic stopped at Sanner's Lane on GMR. What a great idea closing Gate 3 was, just like last year!

/sarc

jrt_ms1995

Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed the commute today. I knew things were going to be fun when traffic stopped at Sanner's Lane on GMR. What a great idea closing Gate 3 was, just like last year!

/sarc

Accident on Great Mills (Checker's/Burger King) was the original cause of the problem.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Accident on Great Mills (Checker's/Burger King) was the original cause of the problem.

that would not have accounted for the log jam on 235.

Also, traffic was backed up tonight trying to get to Gates 2 and 1.

Might as well just get use to it, it's not going to change any more than going to one lane after 9 am.

glhs837

Power with Control
25 minutes from the church on Willows Road to the light at GMR. Another 3 minutes saw me through the gate though. What was fun was to watch all the "smart guys" try and find ways around it.

Goldenhawk

The reason for the delay is simple: Gate 3 is closed for the holidays. So Gate 1 and Gate 2 had 150% of normal traffic.

Grit your teeth and prepare to enjoy it for the next three weeks.

edinsomd

The reason for the delay is simple: Gate 3 is closed for the holidays. So Gate 1 and Gate 2 had 150% of normal traffic.

Grit your teeth and prepare to enjoy it for the next three weeks.

No, Gate 3 was closed BEFORE the holidays. The rest of the week will indeed suck. After Friday, no problems.

glhs837

Power with Control
Yeah, 10 days before the actual holiday might have been bit much is the point Eds making, and I agree with. Thursday might have been a better choice as the last day. I think the amount of non-security types taking holiday leave wont be significant til this Friday. So we have close to 100% of the base workers trying to squeeze through 66% of the gate space. Doesn't help that the frustration drives a lot more box blocking.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Fanning the flames of BRAC.

It's the freaking set up, the Navy Yard holds control of the base, NAVAIR and tenant commands are hostages.
Who's left if NAVAIR and the tenant commands get pulled out? Does Naval District Washington have a reason to keep the base open besides the Exchange and Commissary?
Ship off 20-30 K jobs and that should lighten the load for the commuters that are left.

KingFish

Nothing to see here
I usually come in gate one at 5 AM and I have noticed no difference in traffic. I hear about the back up from the employees. I am glad most people come in later. :coffee:

Radiant1

Soul Probe
25 minutes from the church on Willows Road to the light at GMR. Another 3 minutes saw me through the gate though. What was fun was to watch all the "smart guys" try and find ways around it.

It wasn't fun when the dillhole in the blue Chevy truck took the right onto Pegg Rd and then cut left to go the light...right in front of me...in my new car...forcing me to slam on the breaks to avoid hitting him...because he was too special to wait in the left turn lane like everyone else. :mad:

I usually come in gate one at 5 AM and I have noticed no difference in traffic. I hear about the back up from the employees. I am glad most people come in later. :coffee:

For the most part, I drive right up to the guard around 5:10-5:15 AM but yesterday and today the line was nearly backed up to the light and it took me an extra 10 minutes.

Goldenhawk

Y'all are cute. Yesterday I woke up about, oh, 7:45 and by the time I got to gate 2 at 8:25 there was one car in the northbound turn lane into gate 2.

Just getting up and around, 1st cup of coffee and a bagel. I am SO glad I don't ave to deal with that crap anymore.

bulldog

So, for those of you complaining, what would your solution be? Do you feel that those folks who work the gates do not deserve to take holiday leave just like the rest of the base population? They have a finite number of folks to do the job and each and every one of those folks have to be afforded the opportunity to take leave...just like the rest of you.
Your myopic, all about you attitudes are charming.
Don't like what's going on? Go to your chain of command and insist that they provide more support in the way of more bodies to the ASF (if you have active duty personnel).

Whitey

So, for those of you complaining, what would your solution be? Do you feel that those folks who work the gates do not deserve to take holiday leave just like the rest of the base population? They have a finite number of folks to do the job and each and every one of those folks have to be afforded the opportunity to take leave...just like the rest of you.
Don't like what's going on? Go to your chain of command and insist that they provide more support in the way of more bodies to the ASF (if you have active duty personnel).

They have enough people to man the Gates. most don't start Leave until next week.

Skipper made a bad call...if it's even hers to make. These days it was probably a GS who actually runs things over there.

vince77

off-site parking will alleviate these constant problems 12 months a year, bus people into the base.

bilbur

You are just trading one "all about you" attitude for another. If we look at it the other way I could say just because a handful of people want off for an extended holiday 1000's of people are inconvenienced for almost a month by increased gas consumption, having to use leave due to being stuck in traffic and not getting to work on time, 100's of equipment deliveries being late due to massive increases in travel time, etc... If it was just me that was inconvenienced than it would be selfish on my part but accommodating a dozen or so while inconveniencing 1000's seems selfish on their part. When I was in my early 20's I used to have to work on all the holidays. I guess we could have shut the hospital down just so a handful of people, me included, could spend time with our families but we figured that would be unfair to the 100's of people needing help and the few that would die without people there to take care of them. I understand your side of the argument but being selfish works both ways in the gate closure situation. Just like I did when I had to work at the hospital on all the holidays, I just deal with it and move on.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Just getting up and around, 1st cup of coffee and a bagel. I am SO glad I don't ave to deal with that crap anymore.

I saw the usual two cats on my daily 150-foot commute to the office. And fortunately for me, it had not started raining yet.