Bicyclist Killed on RT 235 near Chancellors Run Road

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I use to ride a bike occasionally. First I worked in Exploration park. I'd just ride down the sidewalks. The biggest danger was the low branches on some of the trees.

My ride on base was a bit more hazardous. No safe spots to ride when heading through the main gate.

BernieP

Resident PIA
There are two sides to every story, so I wouldn't be so quick to blame the crazy drivers. It was 5:50PM - dark, dark enough.
I've seen you boys crossing the road there, with their bikes, but not in the crosswalk. I watched 3 of them cross one day across the right turn lane, 3 lanes of traffic and the two left turn lanes, about 20 yards short of the intersection - sort of in line with the entrance to Sheetz.

I've seen the same down by San Souci.

At night, dark cloths, not lights and jay walking.

Oh, and there is a bike lane on 235, if you are riding a bike, you are considered a vehicle (hence share the road).
Sidewalks are for pedestrians. I was walking from Toyota and was run off the walk by a cycle ### and faggette

cheezgrits

Thought pirate
There are two sides to every story, so I wouldn't be so quick to blame the crazy drivers. It was 5:50PM - dark, dark enough.
I've seen you boys crossing the road there, with their bikes, but not in the crosswalk. I watched 3 of them cross one day across the right turn lane, 3 lanes of traffic and the two left turn lanes, about 20 yards short of the intersection - sort of in line with the entrance to Sheetz.

Oh, and there is a bike lane on 235, if you are riding a bike, you are considered a vehicle (hence share the road).
Sidewalks are for pedestrians. I was walking from Toyota and was run off the walk by a cycle ### and faggette

Hey Bernie, don't let the fact that someone died get in the way of your I hate cyclist attitude. We've had this discussion before. You are an ass.

PeoplesElbow

What about the felony of hit and run or does that have another side too?

inkah

I came upon some moron on Pegg Rd the other night, pitch dark, no lights - not even any reflectors. Nearly hit him myself. I followed behind him with my lights on him until he turned into his neighborhood.

I see way too many folks riding in this area at night with no lights. Many are employees of the Mexican restaurant on the corner of Pegg and 235 and I assume they are biking because they don't have a car.

So very very unsafe...

Was pretty sad to read the report last night.

inkah

Sidewalks are for pedestrians.

Sorry, Sparky. If I am riding on 235, it will darn sure be on the sidewalk. As will my kids. Your refusal to move right a couple inches to let a biker pass is ridiculous and inconsequential compared to the danger of losing a life.

I've done it MANY times and the walkers and I get along just fine. I call out "passing on the left" if I come up behind, ride in the grass if need be and always remember that the walker has the "right of way". But I will NOT ride on the road in the debris filled "bike lane".

H

Hodr

My thoughts as well. Just about every time I drive after dark I see several individuals walking the side of the roads wearing all-dark colors and think "what the hell man, do you want to get hit?".

But that section of 235 is pretty well lit, has a large shoulder/bike lane, and the fact that this person left the scene screams guilt. Just surprised that at 5:50PM there were no witnesses to immediately ID the vehicle.

Bottom line, leaving the scene is a crime in itself.

BernieP

Resident PIA

Sorry, didn't see that part. No, bad practices of the one does not excuse the other.

But I still standby the remark that side walks are for pedestrians, if you are not comfortable riding on 235 in the bike lane (which is marked), then you should not be on the road.
I know people who ride in and they use the road, hand signals. They use the pedestrian/bike path on the shoulder of Buse Rd - up to the BLDG 2272 - where there are no sidewalks or shoulders.
The roads on base are generally not biker friendly even though people do right and stay to the right. Mostly unfriendly because the marked paths just end and force the rider to move back into the traffic lane.
But the convention is bikes proceed with the traffic and vehicles are required to give way to cyclists.

idiganthro

My half-brother was killed a year ago today. Hit and run on a bicycle in San Antonio and left in the street. Has not been solved to date.
There are many possible scenarios involving poor driving on either driver or rider's part. The "running" and not stopping to call for or render aid can absolutely not be forgiven or excused.

Last edited:

littlelady

God bless the USA
My half-brother was killed a year ago today. Hit and run on a bicycle in San Antonio and left in the street. Has not been solved to date.
There are many possible scenarios involving poor driving on either driver or rider's part. The "running" and not stopping to call for or render aid can absolutely not be forgiven or excused.

Sorry for your loss, idiganthro. It must be very hard for you not to know who killed your brother. Prayers and thoughts to you from me.

inkah

how would that work? you would have to cross all the lanes of traffic twice to get there and back to where you are supposed to be

worked at IPT Bldg when I did it. Traffic is barely moving so I moved over after getting through the Gate 1 light and stayed far left till I got to my bldg.

Sometimes I go in Gate 2 and just stay on the sidewalk.

Midnightrider

worked at IPT Bldg when I did it. Traffic is barely moving so I moved over after getting through the Gate 1 light and stayed far left till I got to my bldg.

Sometimes I go in Gate 2 and just stay on the sidewalk.
i see, you ignore the rules of the road. :yay:

bilbur

According to SMNEWS net they got the vehicle involved. I would love to hear the drivers excuse for why they didn't stop. Can't imagine any reason why this is not vehicular manslaughter even if the person on the bicycle is at fault. By leaving the scene and not administering aid they guaranteed this guys demise.