Park Model homes (400sq ft) & So Md zoning

Hessian

Sometimes experience can add better clarity than trying to talk to a Bureaucrat.
So who has some experience in this?

IF a property owner gets a permit for septic & a well,...and then gets SMECO to extend power to a buildable lot, can the owner roll in a Park model home (ie for a Mother-in-law apt)?

I can understand areas that have a HOA code saying "No,...it is less than the minimum footprint." But if the lot is an approved building lot,...they can do a Park Model?

Follow up: If one owns a parcel that has an adjoining half acre...can they run their power/water over to a Park Model home and just get a permit for a septic field? (Again: think Elderly care home...one story, 400 sq ft).

Appreciate any insights you can offer...maybe even a FAQ discussion from a county zoning board.
(St Mary's & Calvert...different codes??)

glhs837

Power with Control
I think this is where you run into isssues

"ANSI 119.5 building code, which is administered and sanctioned by the RVIA (Recreational Vehicle Industry Association)." So, from a code perspective, it's the same as parking an RV on your property. And attaching that to septic..... stop in and ask, last time I was there they were very helpful.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB

"ANSI 119.5 building code, which is administered and sanctioned by the RVIA (Recreational Vehicle Industry Association)." So, from a code perspective, it's the same as parking an RV on your property. And attaching that to septic..... stop in and ask, last time I was there they were very helpful.

I went to the Park website and the pictures shown looked liked modular houses/pre-built (there is a difference between those and mobile homes, which are legal.

I could see a question arising if the zoning doesn't permit a mother in law unit on a lot. If it's a stand alone lot there likely wouldn't be an issue.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may...
Probably because he doesn't want to pay the hellacious fines he'd incur if it's not allowed.
If that is the case, then it is settled, we, as supposed citizens and property owners, in fact, do not own our property. If we did, then we could do with it as we saw fit, save harming or interfering with our neighbors.

nutz

Sometimes experience can add better clarity than trying to talk to a Bureaucrat.
So who has some experience in this?

IF a property owner gets a permit for septic & a well,...and then gets SMECO to extend power to a buildable lot, can the owner roll in a Park model home (ie for a Mother-in-law apt)?

I can understand areas that have a HOA code saying "No,...it is less than the minimum footprint." But if the lot is an approved building lot,...they can do a Park Model?

Follow up: If one owns a parcel that has an adjoining half acre...can they run their power/water over to a Park Model home and just get a permit for a septic field? (Again: think Elderly care home...one story, 400 sq ft).

Appreciate any insights you can offer...maybe even a FAQ discussion from a county zoning board.
(St Mary's & Calvert...different codes??)

Septic is designed according to the building. SMECO will run temporary power to a lot after you get an electrical permit for a building. Your particular zoning will determine if any mobile homes are currently allowed.

glhs837

Power with Control
I went to the Park website and the pictures shown looked liked modular houses/pre-built (there is a difference between those and mobile homes, which are legal.

I could see a question arising if the zoning doesn't permit a mother in law unit on a lot. If it's a stand alone lot there likely wouldn't be an issue.

I clipped that from their website. So, legally, its more akin to a towable trailer, not even a mobile home.

Hessian

No Dowhat,...I'm not going to beat up on a neighbor.(I really like my new neighbor!) It is more a consideration of options for an elderly relative...or even a young couple.

I like the diverse & creative floor plans that have emerged as "Park Models" and am hoping to make an informed decision if I need to go that route. I find the banter...helpful! I have a lingering worry that if I ask ONE person in planning/Zoning...it may not line up with the next inspector I consult.

So, if understand thus far,
A)I could pull a permit for a two bedroom "cottage"...have a septic system put in. And that is where THEY (the Dept of Health) end their role.
B) I could then have SMECO run a meter to my parcel...and poof: they are done.
C) I could have a well company pull a permit, install, and off they go 5000.00 later (after hooking it up to the power)
...and I can roll in a Park Model at my leisure. (again...no HOA community).

OR...when I try to attach these utilities ...will contractors/inspectors slam on the brakes?

Hessian

Septic is designed according to the building. SMECO will run temporary power to a lot after you get an electrical permit for a building. Your particular zoning will determine if any mobile homes are currently allowed.

ahh...here I see a possible hitch. No building permit....no meter. Hmmm. Thanks Nutz!

Hessian

glhs...stop in...where? Health dept? Planning & Zoning?...or ?

officeguy

ahh...here I see a possible hitch. No building permit....no meter. Hmmm. Thanks Nutz!

You can get a meter for structures like a lighted vehicle storage lot. Not sure you need a building permit to get a meter. What smeco needs however is a street address to connect to the account. If you have a lot that lacks road frontage, it gets really complicated.

officeguy

glhs...stop in...where? Health dept? Planning & Zoning?...or ?

I think you'll need several stops.

Ask the health department about the septic question. Has the lot been 'percd', is there already a septic easement in place ? All new septic systems have to be 'best available technology' which means a 2-tank setup with a nitrogen reduction system. That system needs power (some of them even need a phone line).

How do you get water into the lot ? I am not sure whether you are allowed to run water from one well to several lots (without going through a big production). Is there metcom water or would you have to drill a well too ?

Zoning and land-use is going to be able to answer the question whether a trailer is allowable as a dwelling.

All things considered, you are probably better off building a small permanent building like a pre-fab 2 bedroom connected to a larger septic. Trailers depreciate quickly compared with a regular dwelling.

nutz

No building permit, no septic. BUT, you have to also realize that the local jurisdictions don't do much for offenders. Usually a smal fine and then get an engineering stamp for compliance.

nutz

You can get a meter for structures like a lighted vehicle storage lot. Not sure you need a building permit to get a meter. What smeco needs however is a street address to connect to the account. If you have a lot that lacks road frontage, it gets really complicated.
You need an electrical permit to get a meter (even temp service). Depending on the use and jurisdiction, you need a building permit for any construction over 10'x10'.

nutz

No Dowhat,...I'm not going to beat up on a neighbor.(I really like my new neighbor!) It is more a consideration of options for an elderly relative...or even a young couple.

I like the diverse & creative floor plans that have emerged as "Park Models" and am hoping to make an informed decision if I need to go that route. I find the banter...helpful! I have a lingering worry that if I ask ONE person in planning/Zoning...it may not line up with the next inspector I consult.

So, if understand thus far,
A)I could pull a permit for a two bedroom "cottage"...have a septic system put in. And that is where THEY (the Dept of Health) end their role.
B) I could then have SMECO run a meter to my parcel...and poof: they are done.
C) I could have a well company pull a permit, install, and off they go 5000.00 later (after hooking it up to the power)
...and I can roll in a Park Model at my leisure. (again...no HOA community).

OR...when I try to attach these utilities ...will contractors/inspectors slam on the brakes?

A) as office guy said, BAT septics are now required (MDE) and has significantly increased the installation cost. You also have to have a maintenance contract before approval.
B)SMECO keeps a good eye on their equipment.
C) good luck finding a well driller that cheap.

You may be better off doing a residential addition with separate entrance.

Last edited:

bilbur

Just as an FYI, a local business in Hollywood wanted to expand their footprint. They knew they would never get permission because they didn't have the required parking for the extra square footage. What they did was over a weekend they got a bunch of guys together and built the addition making sure everything was to code. When the inspectors found out they put a "Do Not Occupy" sign on the new addition. This was a long time ago but I believe it took them over 6 months to approve the addition so it could be occupied. So in the end they got their addition that they wouldn't have gotten if they had of asked before putting it up. The moral of the story is sometimes it is better to act first and ask for forgiveness later. I am usually a person that is an advocate of following the rules but I am also an advocate of a person should be able to do whatever they want on their own land as long as it isn't hurting anyone else.

sm8

Just as an FYI, a local business in Hollywood wanted to expand their footprint. They knew they would never get permission because they didn't have the required parking for the extra square footage. What they did was over a weekend they got a bunch of guys together and built the addition making sure everything was to code. When the inspectors found out they put a "Do Not Occupy" sign on the new addition. This was a long time ago but I believe it took them over 6 months to approve the addition so it could be occupied. So in the end they got their addition that they wouldn't have gotten if they had of asked before putting it up. The moral of the story is sometimes it is better to act first and ask for forgiveness later. I am usually a person that is an advocate of following the rules but I am also an advocate of a person should be able to do whatever they want on their own land as long as it isn't hurting anyone else.

Times like this I really miss the "like" button.

So_what

Yes I'm an MPD, But who's

A business outside of Leonardtown did just that, built an addition over the weekend. They are now closed since they can't get a new occupancy permit :shrug: