Just about killed on the bridge tonight!

RetiredCPO

If it had not been for the quick thinking and outstanding maneuvers my wife executed while driving tonight on the bridge, we would have been in a very serious head on collision!
Some A-hole going northbound in rush hour traffic about 4:50 PM evidently thought taking their eyes of the road to do whatever was more important than driving. The older Ford Explorer (possibly brown) veered across into the southbound lane and did not notice until they hit and bounced off the opposite side barrier! Only by the grace of God my wife was able to maneuver around them by using the opposite lane as the person that was driving the Ford showed no signs of stopping. Only after we passed each other, UK style in opposite lanes, did the driver cross back into their lane and hit their brakes.
Not only would this had been a very bad head on collision, it took place at the top of the bridge and all we could think about as we gathered our composure was we could have also ended up going over the side.
What is it going to take for people to understand that all you should be doing while driving is DRIVING! Especially in rush hour traffic on a two lane bridge 140 feet in the air.
Unless this individual was having a medical emergency which was evident they weren't as they drove off fine, there is no excuse for this, my wife and I could be dead now all because some a-hole thought they had something more important to do other than driving!

I've vented now, thanks for listening.

RPMDAD

glad that you and your wife are ok. i hate that bridge, and a guy i work with was involved in a head on collision on that bridge, and everybody ended up in the hospital

R

rhenderson

Glad you survived! If this was during the rush hour you should also thank the next northbound driver. Whoever was following the northbound truck must have seen what was happening and stopped or slowed considerably or they would have hit you head on. You are also very fortunate that the truck did not have more space to get back to their side of the road or it would have hit you head on - and then blamed you for the accident because your vehicle would have been on the wrong side of the road!

ginwoman

So very glad for you that an accident did not happen. You guys must have had your guardian angels with you.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Defensive driving works! Good for your wife. Since it was so windy today, maybe, that old tall Explorer got pushed over into you lane? Stranger things have happened?

RetiredCPO

Glad you survived! If this was during the rush hour you should also thank the next northbound driver. Whoever was following the northbound truck must have seen what was happening and stopped or slowed considerably or they would have hit you head on. You are also very fortunate that the truck did not have more space to get back to their side of the road or it would have hit you head on - and then blamed you for the accident because your vehicle would have been on the wrong side of the road!

You're absolutely correct, we owe that driver a big thank you! The first vehicle in the northbound lane behind the Ford saw what was happening and stopped! My wife began to slow in her southbound lane, but when the person showed no sign of stopping or getting back into their lane, she floored it into the other lane to get by them without getting hit. And because the before mentioned driver behind them was paying attention to driving, she has enough room to get by and back into her lane.

glhs837

Power with Control
If I may ...

Defensive driving works! Good for your wife. Since it was so windy today, maybe, that old tall Explorer got pushed over into you lane? Stranger things have happened?

An attentive driver will steer to mitigate that. You should roll over before you let wind decide your course. Which of course you wont. People simply refuse to understand exactly how much their vehicles can do, and so we have far more crashes than we need to.

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
Good things happen to good people, glad it turned out GREAT ! YUp, i am vigilant driving over that bridge every day !!!!!!!

Stay off the dam cell phones people, I trully wish i could invent a sensor that would turn off cell phones when traveling > 5 MPH. Sorry Passenger, you can't talk either !

We survived in the 1960/70/80 without them ;-)))

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Returning from NH on the 26th, no incidents, no close calls until we got the Route 4 bridge.. the North bound SUV was on our side of the bridge. Not as bad as the above story, but his left tires were definitely on our side of the yellow line while I squeezed by hugging the Jersey Barrier..

Instead of StopLight cameras and Speed Cameras maybe cameras on the bridge, issuing tickets everytime somebody eases or veers into the oncoming lane.. MAYBE that will actually prevent an accident and maybe save a life.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Returning from NH on the 26th, no incidents, no close calls until we got the Route 4 bridge.. the North bound SUV was on our side of the bridge. Not as bad as the above story, but his left tires were definitely on our side of the yellow line while I squeezed by hugging the Jersey Barrier..

Instead of StopLight cameras and Speed Cameras maybe cameras on the bridge, issuing tickets everytime somebody eases or veers into the oncoming lane.. MAYBE that will actually prevent an accident and maybe save a life.

The bridge is inherently dangerous. Tickets aren't gonna change that.

I happen to love riding over stuff like that and pay MORE attention than normal and plenty of folks do as well but plenty of people are intimidated and/or don't do well with the way it feels.

glhs837

Power with Control
The bridge is inherently dangerous. Tickets aren't gonna change that.

I happen to love riding over stuff like that and pay MORE attention than normal and plenty of folks do as well but plenty of people are intimidated and/or don't do well with the way it feels.

One of my schools on my way to becoming an aircrewman in 84 was SERE in San Diego. Was blindly following the signs for NAS North Island. get onto the roadway, turns into a low bridge, next thing I know, I'm waaaaaayyyyy up in the air, being freakin amazed that such a bridge existed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Diego–Coronado_Bridge

Salvador

One Nation Under God
I saw a proposal about building a bridge to the Eastern Shore from here recently. Imagine that cluster####!