Doctors can report some mentally ill patients to FBI under n

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
New Gun Regulations Thread

Doctors can report some mentally ill patients to FBI under new gun control rule

Delivering on its promise to deliver "common sense" gun control, the Obama administration on Monday finalized a rule that enables health care providers to report the names of mentally ill patients to an FBI firearms background check system.

The action was one of a series of steps that President Barack Obama had called for in January 2013 in the wake of the Newtown, Conn., shootings to curb gun violence, but the rule was not published until today.

While the 1993 Brady law prohibits gun ownership by individuals who have been involuntarily committed, found incompetent to stand trial or otherwise deemed by a court to be a danger to themselves or others, federal health care privacy rules prohibited doctors and other providers from sharing information without the consent of their patients.

so now every mental case becomes a FEDERAL Case ...
... what violation of patient / doc Privilege is next

what process is in place for victims of mis-identified to get off the 'no fly' list and get their Firearms Returned

Last edited:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Obama Executive Order May Require Those Selling Even a Single Firearm to Become Licensed Dealers
Order also brings back plan to keep certain Social Security recipients from buying guns

The Obama administration announced during a conference call with reporters Monday evening that the president’s upcoming executive order may require somebody selling even a single firearm to obtain a Federal Firearms License.

During the call White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest, White House Senior Adviser Valerie Jarrett, and Attorney General Loretta Lynch explained the details of the order, which will be announced publicly by President Obama Tuesday at 11:40 a.m. The action, officials explained, would include guidance on how the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives will now determine who is “engaged in the business” of selling firearms under federal law and, therefore, who is required to obtain a license to sell firearms.

“ATF will make clear that whether you are ‘engaged in the business’ depends on the facts and circumstances,” Jarrett said. “On factors such as: whether you represent yourself as a dealer, such as making business cards or taking credit card statements. Whether you sell firearms shortly after they’re acquired or whether you buy or sell in the original packaging.”

“Numbers are relevant. The ATF and DOJ did not identify a magic number of weapons that makes you engaged in the business because that would limit their ability to bring prosecution.”

steppinthrax

Is this not a step in the direction we gun nuts have been arguing for, more focus on mental illness?

If we liberals (and other non-gun owners) even mention the word GUN, you lock and load in our direction. Anything Obama tries to do positively for gun control (without full removal) you guys will bitch on, or find some other reason to bitch.

Hank

my war
so now every mental case becomes a FEDERAL Case ...
... what violation of patient / doc Privilege is next

what process is in place for victims of mis-identified to get off the 'no fly' list and get their Firearms Returned

Oh Crap! You're ####ed! Better hide your guns!

Midnightrider

This would almost be funny, if you're like 8 years old. Just lookin' out for ya. :yay:
Its actually even funnier as an adult. Particularly when some loud mouth still lives with his mommy :yay:

Uhhh... Zero. And that is my whole life.

Unless coffee & beer is "mind altering".

How about you? How about members of your family? Tell the truth!

you can put me in that 'zero' category as well. Its always fun watching people defend allowing crazy people to buy guns.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Particularly when some loud mouth still lives with his mommy.

yeah and it is Awesome [pat on head, I know Midnight you though that was an insult]

... please tell the class how much better your life is
... please how much money do you make, how big is your car, your boat
... please regal of your life style of the rich and boorish

Midnightrider

yeah and it is Awesome [pat on head, I know Midnight you though that was an insult]

... please tell the class how much better your life is
... please how much money do you make, how big is your car, your boat
... please regal of your life style of the rich and boorish

It is so awesome that i dont have to live with my mommy :yay:

when you grow up you should try it :killingme

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

I am sorry you have such a meaningless and pathetic life, you have to belittle others in a vainglorious attempt to make yourself feel better ...
:yay: Rock On with Your Bad Self

Hijinx

As usual a story in the forum is waylaid by the usual people who go into insults and BS without speaking on the subject.

The subject by the way is how do we feel about going to a Doctor who does not keep his patients confidentiality to himself.

We can argue the pro's and cons, but this is the specifics of the issue.

Lets try to decide which doctors are qualified to speak about mental illness.
Your MD or a Psychologist?
What is your reasonable chance of being able to defend yourself from these charges?
If the Government takes the weapons from a person they deem to be irresponsible what is the compensation to the family or the person for the taking of their property or can they just take it without compensation. I believe that is called theft unless the government does it.

It would be good to discuss these things, but if the usual instigators of verbal (AKA written BS) want to ruin the thread that is ok too I suppose. It won't be the first one.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
If we liberals (and other non-gun owners) even mention the word GUN, you lock and load in our direction. Anything Obama tries to do positively for gun control (without full removal) you guys will bitch on, or find some other reason to bitch.

I'm, sorry. Let me say that again, as a gun nut; isn't this a step in the direction we've been arguing for? I say yes.

Hank

my war
I'm, sorry. Let me say that again, as a gun nut; isn't this a step in the direction we've been arguing for? I say yes.

And you know what, Larry... A lot of people on my Facebook feed are conveying the same sentiments as you and I applaud that! Gun owners that believe this is the right step!

Hijinx

Then you agree with the incremental steps being taken to take away the 2nd. Amendment, for we all realize that is the end game.