Real hypothetical question

Toxick

Splat
I know that if the President, say, chokes on a pretzel and dies, that the Vice-President would become president.

But what happens if a candidate exits this world?

Let's say John Kerry is campaigning in Kansas and a twister comes from out of nowhere and carries him off to the Great Beyond.

Does Edwards become the candidate?

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
Originally posted by Toxick
I know that if the President, say, chokes on a pretzel and dies, that the Vice-President would become president.

Let's say John Kerry is campaigning in Kansas and a twister comes from out of nowhere and carries him off to the Great Beyond.

The party can choose. It wouldn't automatically become Edwards, but in all likelyhood, that is who it would be.

Pete

Repete
Originally posted by Toxick

Oh great, now see what you have done. Now if Kerry is actually carried off by a twister while campaigning in the mid-west, everyone will point to this thread and claim a VRWC.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Re: Re: Real hypothetical question

Originally posted by Pete
Oh great, now see what you have done. Now if Kerry is actually carried off by a twister while campaigning in the mid-west, everyone will point to this thread and claim a VRWC.

:roflmao:

rraley

Now, I'm going on a whim here without any real research, but this is what I think happens if a presidential candidate dies during his run for office. Each state has a filing deadline for presidential candidates. If the Democratic candidate dies before that time, then the party can easily change the ticket that they file. Afterwards, however, I believe that the procedures vary from state to state. Remember Paul Wellstone dying about a week prior to the Senate election in Minnesota? In Minnesota, a major party is allowed to change their candidate when he or she dies, and the Senate race is counted on a supplemental ballot that has the replaced candidate and the other party's candidate. In Missouri, meanwhile, dead candidates may remain on the ballot (like when Mel Carnahan died in 2000 and he won). I am guessing that similiar things happen in all the states.

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
By the way, Toxic. What is a real hypothetical question? I have heard of real questions and hypothetical questions. :biggrin:

Toxick

Splat
Originally posted by FromTexas
By the way, Toxic. What is a real hypothetical question? I have heard of real questions and hypothetical questions. :biggrin:

I mean it's really hypothetical.

As opposed to, "Let's say, hypothetically, I have this friend who wants to chain their spouse in the basement and leave them for dead, would that be wrong, or should I put food down there?"