Intoxicated driver crashes into mall in Owings; Fire Ensues

Editor

somd.com Editor
Staff member
PREMO Member
Patron
This just in this morning...

On January 6, 2016 at 12:18am, CCSO units responded to a motor vehicle crash reported into a building involving fire. The building involved was the strip mall known as Bright Center West located at the intersection of S/B MD 4 at Chaneyville Rd. in Owings, Md. Upon arrival it was confirmed that both the vehicle involved and the strip mall which contained Floral Expressions, Owings Cleaners, Andy Nails, and Tax Depot were all on fire. The driver of the vehicle involved (Vincent Troy 32 of Upper Marlboro, Md.) was already out of the vehicle and being assisted by citizens. A check of the vehicle for other persons was negative and the scene was secured as EMS/FIRE handled their assignment fighting the fire.

During further investigation it was determined the driver, Vincent Troy, was suspected to be under the influence of an intoxicant and subsequently arrested for DUI/DWI by DFC Durner.

Cpl. Marty McCarroll managed the scene for the Calvert County Sheriff's Office and coordinated operations with Dunkirk Fire Chief Bill Rector.

A NIXLE notification was sent out from the CCSO notifying the public of the event and to expect delays in the area into the morning rush hour times.

Both County Roads and State Highway were notified to respond to the scene for both traffic road closures and to treat the roadways as they were iced over from the water used by the fire department to extinguish the fire.

The State Fire Marshal was notified and responded to the scene to conduct their investigation with EMS/FIRE.

A Calvert County building inspector was notified to respond and inspect the building for structural damage and occupancy restrictions.

SMECO was notified and responded to handle all electrical power connections/disconnections and inspect the damage to their utility pole.

Business owners were notified for Floral Expressions, Tax Depot, and Andy's Nails. The only business owner not notified was Owings Cleaners.

EMS/FIRE units responded to assist from multiple jurisdictions to include PG County, AA County, Charles Co

Attachments

• VINCENT TROY.JPG
    VINCENT TROY.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 292

Editor

somd.com Editor
Staff member
PREMO Member
Patron
Here is a photo and the report from the Fire Marshall regarding the incident. Estimated $750,000 in damages. 65 firefighters involved.

(Photo fixed...)

This guy has 108 records in the Md. Judiciary Database. See attached PDF.

Attachments

• NOI 1-6-16 Calvert Building Fire Owings.jpg
    NOI 1-6-16 Calvert Building Fire Owings.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 284
  • Bright Center West Fire.jpg
    Bright Center West Fire.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 225
  • Vincent-Troy.pdf
    76.9 KB · Views: 250

Grumpy

Fox5 had a live report from there at 630am showing a large dismantling machine tearing down whats left already.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
So drunk that he plowed into a shopping center and everything exploded. That's like something out of the Simpson's.

There's a small part of me that actually feels sorry for this guy. A really really small part, but a part nonetheless.

steppinthrax

This is complete bull####, you know this guy has absolutely no way to pay for this. He probably has the state min insurance. The landlord/owners will have to pay out of pocket and sue him. They will never get ####, hopefully their insurance pays for everything.

steppinthrax

So drunk that he plowed into a shopping center and everything exploded. That's like something out of the Simpson's.

There's a small part of me that actually feels sorry for this guy. A really really small part, but a part nonetheless.

No part of me feels sorry!

Grumpy

Willing to bet that his drinking wasn't the main cause, probably texting, drifted and lost control. Lately seen way too many accidents (head-ons, full speed rear-enders, etc) that just don't make sense to put all the blame on alcohol..Not condoning drinking/driving, mind you, just my opinion that inattention is to blame for a lot of these accidents.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Willing to bet that his drinking wasn't the main cause, probably texting, drifted and lost control. Lately seen way too many accidents (head-ons, full speed rear-enders, etc) that just don't make sense to put all the blame on alcohol..Not condoning drinking/driving, mind you, just my opinion that inattention is to blame for a lot of these accidents.

I was thinking maybe he passed out, but your scenario makes sense too.

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
Willing to bet that his drinking wasn't the main cause, probably texting, drifted and lost control. Lately seen way too many accidents (head-ons, full speed rear-enders, etc)

Not too long ago, I was coming toward Great Mills on Indian Bridge Road, right in front of that new housing development---where the guard rail is literally 6 inches from the edge of the roadway. Some clown in a pickup truck is coming right for me. I can see he is looking down and texting. He starts to drift into my lane for an imminent head-on. Of course I have no where to go and am driving the small Honda. Fortunately the asshat looked up in time and yanked the wheel back into his lane.

Grumpy

Not too long ago, I was coming toward Great Mills on Indian Bridge Road, right in front of that new housing development---where the guard rail is literally 6 inches from the edge of the roadway. Some clown in a pickup truck is coming right for me. I can see he is looking down and texting. He starts to drift into my lane for an imminent head-on. Of course I have no where to go and am driving the small Honda. Fortunately the asshat looked up in time and yanked the wheel back into his lane.

See it a lot, almost got into a head-on with a state trooper on 231 about 6 months ago. Don't know what he was doing but he was definitely looking down at the passenger seat (laptop?) Lot of people think its no big deal to text and drive (can't happen to me syndrome).

frequentflier

happy to be living
As a store front business owner, I would be plenty pissed if some drunk fidiot crashed into my place and essentially put me out of business. I don't have the answers...but I do hope he gets more than a slap on the wrist for this.

Escalade14

Go Rams!
With 108+ entries in the case search, you would think the courts would have him locked up for a long time without probation. But no, Maryland courts are like a recreational fishing trip - catch and release. No doubt many infractions were Nolle Prossed.