Regional
National
State
County
Local
Wife.....I didn't really mean that.....

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Are there laws that somehow allow agencies of the government to make their own laws and not be answerable to the people? Because I sure am seeing a lot of that.

SamSpade

Global laws, but only because the concept is absurd. It gives someone in another country power over me, and they usually don't have my best interest at all, nor do I have a say.

Local laws, like property owner's association (which I no longer am beholden to) laws, because they're often whimsical and are made by people without any good sense at all.

Seatbelt laws and any other law whose purpose is to to protect me - from myself.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Are there laws that somehow allow agencies of the government to make their own laws and not be answerable to the people? Because I sure am seeing a lot of that.

I think that would be "regulations", laws are supposed to be passed by a legislature, though the legislation could allow for an agency to enact rules and regulations.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I think that would be "regulations", laws are supposed to be passed by a legislature, though the legislation could allow for an agency to enact rules and regulations.

Thanks KK. :huggy: So I'm against any law that allows an agency to enact rules and regulations.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
State and county. Especially in regards to property rights, or lack thereof.

SquirrelBait

Look at her SMILE
"Free" health insurance or health insurance for life.
Those who get it, it is free for them but the rest or the US citizens NOT on welfare have to pay for it.

Passing laws to give yourself a raise. Then toss in the fact they do this while others don't get a raise and also furloughed.

7 day waiting period. I don't have an issue with GOOD back ground checks.

HQL as it stands. If the HQL was changed up to where you either had no waiting period or cheaper back grounds checks. Right now only thing it does is collect more money from citizens with no benefit in stopping crime.

Seat belts and helmet, I don't like being told what I MUST do, but age limit should be in place. 21 years old. We may have seen enough friends die to make and intelligent discussion as to wearing one or not.
I am by no means saying your stupid if you don't wear one.

3CATSAILOR

In Southern Maryland we have an exceptionally high rate of motorcycle accidents. It could be from the folks that are on motorcycles and act like idiots or, it could be from the people that are too busy texting and whatever else that causes their distraction not to see you and then hit you. Don't forget, if a car hits you, you will be on the losing end. Now, lets say you didn't have the helmet. At least you would make it easy for the police to decide you were dead at the scene. They still would have to call for the fire truck so they could wash what is left of your brains off the the pavement before they reopened the road. I refer to a separate thread where folks complained about a road being closed for motorcycle crash or crashes. Again, we have a lot of good safe M/C operators in Southern Maryland. However, texting, distracted driving is way too out of control. Simple put, our law enforcement is doing very little to address the problem. Sure, they have one or two operations here and there. But, look around! Every single time I see someone texting while driving. Very illegal. They do it anyhow.

bilbur

The laws of physics. I want to be able to travel interdimensionally and faster than the speed of light. It would also be cool if things could fall up and I was able to see in 4D.

PsyOps

Pixelated
However, texting, distracted driving is way too out of control. Simple put, our law enforcement is doing very little to address the problem. Sure, they have one or two operations here and there. But, look around! Every single time I see someone texting while driving. Very illegal. They do it anyhow.

Like speeding, there is only so much they can do. They can’t be everywhere all the time. We live in a *me* society. What *me* wants outweighs what you, and everyone around you, wants. Your safety is not of a priority to *me*. If people had the least bit of conscience and cared one bit about everyone else’s safety, there wouldn’t be a need for cops to address the problem. So, it’s not a cop problem, it’s a people problem.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Seatbelt laws and any other law whose purpose is to to protect me - from myself.

Could not agree more!

they aren't out to protect you, they are to protect others - like the taxpayers and others who pay for insurance.
Chances are if you ride without a helmet and get knocked off you motorcycle, you will end up with serious head injuries. The helmet is there to reduce those odds.
Same for seatbelts, the collision will still happen, but the risk of a disabling injury is reduced.
The state (both the Commonwealth and the Federal government) incur expenses for the care of people who become permanently disabled.
Insurance companies are for profit, so as their payouts go up, so do their premiums. If you're disabled, you aren't buying insurance for a vehicle, that means those buying insurance will have to pay the increased premiums to cover your loss.
So it's not that we all care about you, we care about saving our money.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
they aren't out to protect you, they are to protect others - like the taxpayers and others who pay for insurance.
Chances are if you ride without a helmet and get knocked off you motorcycle, you will end up with serious head injuries. The helmet is there to reduce those odds.
Same for seatbelts, the collision will still happen, but the risk of a disabling injury is reduced.
The state (both the Commonwealth and the Federal government) incur expenses for the care of people who become permanently disabled.
Insurance companies are for profit, so as their payouts go up, so do their premiums. If you're disabled, you aren't buying insurance for a vehicle, that means those buying insurance will have to pay the increased premiums to cover your loss.
So it's not that we all care about you, we care about saving our money.

Seatbelt laws and any other law whose purpose is to protect insurance company profits.
Is this better?

Insurance is legalized gambling, I see no reason that there should be a government imposed change in the odds of a payout.