Please Sign A Petition and Help My Neighborhood

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
It doesn't matter where you live. It doesn't matter if you are a registered voter. My neighborhood needs your help.

In order for the neighborhood I live in to survive, it needs attention, now. In order to survive, it needs your support. No money is needed, only your signature is requested. Only the time it takes to help share the petition.

I'm selfishly sharing this because I feel I need to ask for your help. My neighbors need your help, even those that don't know they do. I've been in tears all week. All that investment, all that effort, all that time and energy, and it can all be taken away from you by the swipe of somebody's pen. All you homeowners should understand that the investment in a home is much more than just a major purchase.

I'm unselfishly sharing this, because once this happens to my neighborhood, yours may be next.

If you want to do more, you can contact the St. Mary's County Commissioners, and ask them to not to support the Mattapany Rural Legacy Area Expansion for this neighborhood since it is not agricultural land.

Commissioner President James R. Guy 301-475-4200 ext. 1361 randy.guy@stmarysmd.com
Commissioner Michael L. Hewitt 301-475-4200 ext. 1355 mike.hewitt@stmarysmd.com
Commissioner Tom Jarboe 301-475-4200 ext. 1354 tom.jarboe@stmarysmd.com
Commissioner Todd B. Morgan 301-475-4200 ext. 1357 todd.morgan@stmarysmd.com
Commissioner John E. O'Connor 301-475-4200 ext. 1353 john.oconnor@stmarysmd.com
E-mail all Commissioners - Group E-Mail csmc@stmarysmd.com

Please sign the petition and share among your friends.
https://www.causes.com/campaigns/98881-help-save-the-st-inigoes-shores-neighborhood

Thank you so much for your time and effort.

Midnightrider

It doesn't matter where you live. It doesn't matter if you are a registered voter. My neighborhood needs your help.

In order for the neighborhood I live in to survive, it needs attention, now. In order to survive, it needs your support. No money is needed, only your signature is requested. Only the time it takes to help share the petition.

I'm selfishly sharing this because I feel I need to ask for your help. My neighbors need your help, even those that don't know they do. I've been in tears all week. All that investment, all that effort, all that time and energy, and it can all be taken away from you by the swipe of somebody's pen. All you homeowners should understand that the investment in a home is much more than just a major purchase.

I'm unselfishly sharing this, because once this happens to my neighborhood, yours may be next.

If you want to do more, you can contact the St. Mary's County Commissioners, and ask them to not to support the Mattapany Rural Legacy Area Expansion for this neighborhood since it is not agricultural land.

Commissioner President James R. Guy 301-475-4200 ext. 1361 randy.guy@stmarysmd.com
Commissioner Michael L. Hewitt 301-475-4200 ext. 1355 mike.hewitt@stmarysmd.com
Commissioner Tom Jarboe 301-475-4200 ext. 1354 tom.jarboe@stmarysmd.com
Commissioner Todd B. Morgan 301-475-4200 ext. 1357 todd.morgan@stmarysmd.com
Commissioner John E. O'Connor 301-475-4200 ext. 1353 john.oconnor@stmarysmd.com
E-mail all Commissioners - Group E-Mail csmc@stmarysmd.com

Please sign the petition and share among your friends.
https://www.causes.com/campaigns/98881-help-save-the-st-inigoes-shores-neighborhood

Thank you so much for your time and effort.
what exactly are the restrictions that are being placed on your properties?

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
what exactly are the restrictions that are being placed on your properties?

The biggest concern is that our property will be declared "Agricultural" not "Residential". Once that occurs, according to an agreement between the Navy and St. Mary's Co., the Navy will be able to fly unrestricted through / in the neighborhood, no matter time, day, situation, aircraft. So basically, a bunch of experimental drones can be swooping through a neighborhood and there's nothing we'll be able to so to stop that once it happens.

Additional restrictions to becoming agricultural:
Application of pesticides, herbicides and other chemicals
Restrictions on tilling and mowing, planting, trees, shrubs, and any other vegetation
Rest. on feeding , housing, breeding and boarding of animals
No commercial use allowed - we have several private home businesses in this neighborhood
No new structures will be permitted
Fencing, fences and gates will be needed to be maintained and constructed
Of particular concern is the requirement for septic systems - many of the homes in my neighborhood pre-date mound systems. So those that don't have them may be forced to get them
one hundred ft buffer of vegetation near some river - which I don't think's an issue
Must implement a forest stewardship plan
No display of signs (like political parties, private business, etc)
Height restriction of everything
Lighting equipment restrictions, including your floodlights to street lights
Nothing permitted that may produce smoke - bonfires, brush piles, back yard cookouts, etc
Soil conservation

There's more, but I just started looking into it this week and I have to puzzle everything out as I go. Perhaps someone who has agricultural knowledge on this forum can help out.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Also, as this was brought up elsewhere, I want to honest, I am not asking for a complete stoppage of the Mattapany Rural Legacy Area. I am only asking that an established neighborhood that this should not apply to, not be included. If it is included, it will set up a string of events that the neighborhood will not recover from.

Several people who own 15 acres or more may indeed wish to participate in this and that is perfectly within their rights to do so. However, a residential neighborhood made up of homes consisting of lots 1 acre or less, doesn't qualify as "agricultural" and shouldn't be decided to be as such.

Once it is, it won't be changed. Many of us are aware of how these things work. We've seen it in action across our country.

glhs837

Power with Control
I'm pretty sure that your 1/2 acre lot wont be required to act like a farm. That's like saying that because you are now in a RPD district now that they are going to bulldoze nine out of ten house so you meet the five acre requirement for the RPD density limits. Nor do I think the Navy is going to start hovering FireScouts over your house. The Navy understands the need to be good neighbor. And, if this is a backdoor AICUZ mechanism, it's to prevent growth from turning them into bad neighbors by allowing folks to come in and build condos on the approach path.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.1448509,-76.4255248,3613m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

See those large swaths of what is empty land straight out from the runways? That's what we are talking about, really, when you discuss AICUZ. Note none of them point towards your area. I think, unless they really mean to force you all to shop at Southern States for fencing, that this could be a positive effect on house values. If you want to live south of the base and want a close neighborhood, that's one of the nicest. This would cut down on new competitive subdivisions that might entice potential buyers.

Misfit

Lawful neutral
I save the bay…
I save the Louisiana wetlands, only because that’s where Swamp Thing lives…
and now I shall save miggy…

:signed:

My new house is in an Agricultural zone and I had to sign some paperwork when I bought it acknowledging that I understood that.

I haven’t had any issues so far except for the smell of cows but I LOVE COWS!

:dance:

tblwdc

The biggest concern is that our property will be declared "Agricultural" not "Residential". Once that occurs, according to an agreement between the Navy and St. Mary's Co., the Navy will be able to fly unrestricted through / in the neighborhood, no matter time, day, situation, aircraft. So basically, a bunch of experimental drones can be swooping through a neighborhood and there's nothing we'll be able to so to stop that once it happens.

Being that my income is directly related to the navy swooping through places, I am perfectly fine with this. Has anybody started a counter petition to support this measure?

We are zoned agricultural, and have never had these restrictions placed on us. Our neighborhood has at least one small business, lots of breeding/boarded animals, and no restrictions on planting outside of the critical zone, which has nothing to do w/zoning. We put up signs and have bonfires. I've seen all of these things across lots of agricultural areas. Where are you getting that these are restrictions that will be placed on you?

PeoplesElbow

Pretty sure how the county classifies it will not increase drone flights over your neighborhood.

Personally I would think that this would make your home values go up some.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...
Where is your unbridled patriotism? Don't you realize there are wars going on and testing must be done? That base was here long before your house was built. Don't like it? Move away.

Kidding ..... KIDDING .... just kidding. Figured better get that out of the way before nhboy or tommyjo brought it up. I support you. For all the right reasons. One of them being not dictated to by government. Also I wonder, where, those that decide these dictates, actually live and will they be disturbed by any new flight operations themselves?

Honestly, my experience has been that taxes are lower and there are fewer restrictions on areas that are zoned as agricultural vs. residential. Either that, or we've been doing it all wrong, by having bonfires and landscaping and running a business and constructing other buildings (all with the appropriate permits!). No one ever told us that we'd have to stop all of that...and we've never had a drone buzz our horses, either.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Navy drones and manned aircraft, fixed-wing and rotary, have been flying directly over our place for as long we've lived here. The drones don't "buzz" anyone or any thing;they operate at fairly high altitudes and you barely notice them. The manned aircraft..that's a different story, but we've not seen regular low-level manned flights over the island since the early days of F-35 shake down tests.

PeoplesElbow

Navy drones and manned aircraft, fixed-wing and rotary, have been flying directly over our place for as long we've lived here. The drones don't "buzz" anyone or any thing;they operate at fairly high altitudes and you barely notice them. The manned aircraft..that's a different story, but we've not seen regular low-level manned flights over the island since the early days of F-35 shake down tests.

The drones that are actually capable of "buzzing" someone have a very restricted area they can fly in per FAA regulations. Much more likely to get buzzed from a nosey neighbor and have them blame it on the Navy.

Furthermore these areas have absolutely nothing to do with county zoning.

3CATSAILOR

When is the public meeting to discuss this change? For any significant change such as this, there is supposed to be a public meeting.