Powerball

stgislander

PREMO Member
I heard a little tidbit this morning that only about 54-55% of all the possible combinations of numbers had been selected.

Somebody in Berlin, MD matched 5 for a cool $1M.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Well, the odds of winning are 1 in 292,201,338. Take roughly half of that, times the price of a single ticket.

Hmmm...So, it costs about $300,000,000 to win the lottery.

Wonder if the bank would float me $300 mil so I can rake in $1.5 bil next week?

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Wonder how much it would cost to have bought all the rest of the possible combinations? :lol:

With 292 million possible combinations, 46% not selected, leaves 134.32 million not selected, at $2 a pop, that would give you a cost of $268.64 million. Now the real question would be, who has the time and energy to fill out the cards to ensure that you have all of the selections covered? :biggrin:

With 292 million possible combinations, 46% not selected, leaves 134.32 million not selected, at $2 a pop, that would give you a cost of $268.64 million. Now the real question would be, who has the time and energy to fill out the cards to ensure that you have all of the selections covered? :biggrin:

I would not doubt there are organized factions that hire people to do just that.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Right but once a combination is gone, it's gone, right? So, you'd have to buy them ALL before a single one was sold to Jane or Joe?

Nope, everyone playing could have the same combination and split the jackpot.