Cost for puppies in classifieds

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Our first GSD was from a reputable breeder and we gladly paid the $1000+ for him and that included obedience training. Our current GSD is a rescue from http://www.magsr.org/ and I think we made the right decision on both dogs.

Blister

I really like the ads for mutts that have "rebranded" as Chi-Com-York-A-Doodles or some other made up name so some dummy will gladly pay $500 for a Heinz 57.

frequentflier

happy to be living
Recently noticed my wife has been browsing the puppies in the classifieds. Just had a quick question for the group. I have had dogs (usually one at a time) my entire life, and I believe every one of them has been a rescue so I never bought directly from a breeder.

But do the prices in the classifieds here seem realistic? $1-2k for a non-exotic breed (like Labs/Bulldogs/etc) just seems crazy to me. Do people really believe their animals are having $10-20k litters?

Supply and demand. And many people equate high price with good quality. "If I pay $1000 for a dog, he HAS got to be a great dog!" Not discounting the good breeders out there, many I see locally are back yard breeders that are not necessarily producing top of the line dogs.

The animal shelter probably has a lot of Christmas puppies for adoption right now. Or check out www.petfinder.com if you are looking for a new companion.

Also, Pepper's Pet Pantry will start hosting pet adoptions on the 2nd Saturday of every month starting in February!