Question for Mr. King

rraley

Ken, I saw on a thread that you said you are a registered Democrat. I am very interested by the amount of Democrats (especially in southern rural areas like this one) who are registered that way, but hardly ever vote for national Democrats (in fact, I wrote a paper on the subject when I took an independent study course at school). I interviewed some Democrats such as yourself, and I would like to ask you the same questions that I asked them.

1)How long have you been a Democrat?
2)Why did you register as a Democrat?
3)Do you consider yourself conservative, moderate, or liberal?
4)Did you once consider yourself another ideology from the one you consider yourself now?
5)When did you start to vote against national Democrats?
6)Why do you vote against national Democrats?

I would like to see what you have to say and see how it compares with the other 8 gentlemen I interviewed for my paper.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by rraley
1)How long have you been a Democrat?
2)Why did you register as a Democrat?
3)Do you consider yourself conservative, moderate, or liberal?
4)Did you once consider yourself another ideology from the one you consider yourself now?
5)When did you start to vote against national Democrats?
6)Why do you vote against national Democrats?

I would like to see what you have to say and see how it compares with the other 8 gentlemen I interviewed for my paper.
I've been a Democrat for 18 years now. Was initially an Independent while in the military and not in the state, switched to partake in primaries. I'm about as middle of the road as you can get and have always been that way. To date I have never voted for a Democratic Presidential candidate, for Congressional candidates, to my recollection, have always been Democrats.

My philosophy might be skewed to some peoples thinking but I want a President that looks out for the interest of the nation and other representatives to look out for the people's interest. I don't want my President to be worrying about how other nation's think or feel about us when contemplating our needs and protection.

rraley

Re: Re: Question for Mr. King

Originally posted by Ken King
I've been a Democrat for 18 years now. Was initially an Independent while in the military and not in the state, switched to partake in primaries. I'm about as middle of the road as you can get and have always been that way.

Where are you from, Ken, if you mind me asking? The primary answer though is quite normal. Of the eight that I spoke with earlier, they stated that they were Democrats for the same reason because long time ago when everyone here was a Democrat, the winner of that primary was the person who usually got the office.

Now I think that you are very thoughtful and have very intelligent standpoints on the issues, but could you explain to me how you are middle of the road (while you don't have harsh, conservative rhetoric and you don't take extremist views on issues, I just haven't seen you take too many liberal stands)?

As for your reason for voting against Democratic presidential candidates, I've never heard that one before. When I spoke with the other gentlemen, they mostly cited abortion (the biggest reason) with taxes a close second. -

Ken King

PREMO Member
Re: Re: Re: Question for Mr. King

Where are you from, Ken, if you mind me asking? The primary answer though is quite normal. Of the eight that I spoke with earlier, they stated that they were Democrats for the same reason because long time ago when everyone here was a Democrat, the winner of that primary was the person who usually got the office.

Now I think that you are very thoughtful and have very intelligent standpoints on the issues, but could you explain to me how you are middle of the road (while you don't have harsh, conservative rhetoric and you don't take extremist views on issues, I just haven't seen you take too many liberal stands)?

As for your reason for voting against Democratic presidential candidates, I've never heard that one before. When I spoke with the other gentlemen, they mostly cited abortion (the biggest reason) with taxes a close second. -
Well I’m from my Mom and Dad, of course. I was born at Bethesda Naval Hospital, spent most of my youth in St. Mary’s County, Maryland (less then 4 years out of state due to dad’s assignments in the Navy). I did a little over 12 years active duty Air Force and then returned to Maryland where I have been since returning in 1986.

I am pro-choice, think that there is a need for certain social programs when a need exists, and have been a loyal union member for 14 years including being on the Executive Board of AFGE Local 1603 for a period of about 5 years. If you haven’t noticed I support same-sex marriages and all forms of equality for our citizens. I am also pro-defense, I think the government at times is too intrusive, and that many people using our social systems are abusing them and could support themselves if they got off their butts. These are only a few I know but I don’t set my standing on any specific issue because of a party doctrine, I decide for myself.

rraley

Re: Re: Re: Re: Question for Mr. King

I am pro-choice, think that there is a need for certain social programs when a need exists, and have been a loyal union member for 14 years including being on the Executive Board of AFGE Local 1603 for a period of about 5 years. If you haven’t noticed I support same-sex marriages and all forms of equality for our citizens. I am also pro-defense, I think the government at times is too intrusive, and that many people using our social systems are abusing them and could support themselves if they got off their butts. These are only a few I know but I don’t set my standing on any specific issue because of a party doctrine, I decide for myself.

That is definitely the profile of a middle of the roader. I forgot about the gay marriage stance of yours (which is more liberal than mine). Thanks for answering my questions.

Pete

Repete
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Question for Mr. King

That is definitely the profile of a middle of the roader. I forgot about the gay marriage stance of yours (which is more liberal than mine). Thanks for answering my questions.
Believe it or not I believe the same things.

Ken King

PREMO Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Question for Mr. King

Okay, how about you? What is your story?

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
I tend to think of myself as conservative, but more liberal on civil rights and environmental issues. That being said... I'm against gay marriage but all for legal domestic partnerships. :wink:

I guess you could say I'm middle of the road or perhaps just barely right of center.

Ken King

PREMO Member
Originally posted by sleuth
That being said... I'm against gay marriage but all for legal domestic partnerships. :wink:
What is the difference, other then what it would be called?

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
What is the difference, other then what it would be called?

I view marriage as a religious institution to be performed by the church, not a legal one.

I also think the government should get out of the business of marriage licenses and only issue domestic partnership licenses for taxes, benefits, etc. Then, if the church wants to recognize a domestic partnership as a marriage, it's up to them.

To me, that would uphold the sanctity of "marriage", from my religious (Christian) viewpoint.

That said, I recognize that churches would spring up overnight to perform marriage ceremonies between gays and lesbians. That's fine with me, because my church doesn't have to recognize it. :ohwell:

rraley

Well, I am only 17 years old, but I have loved politics ever since I was as young as five (of course at that time I just repeated whatever mom and dad said). After years of history and politics reading (I read all my sisters' AP government books from high school when I was in the 5th grade), I have come to my own opinions that are between my parents (dad's a conservative, yellow dog Democrat while mom is more liberal, even though she voted for Reagan in 84 and Bush in 88). My political philosophy is based on listening to the other side,compromising when needed, and the belief that the average family like mine deserves help from the government when needed.

As for my political philosophy, you can be the judge. I support environmental policies that protect our natural resources and ensure that the next generation gets to see them. I support a Health Care policy that makes it easier for middle class families to afford insurance (I oppose tort reform because I do not believe that it works and because I believe that it infringes upon the people's right to take out lawsuits). I support more federal funding for education so that we can have updated schools, higher teacher salaries, more textbooks, more upper-level courses, and more after-school programs to keep at-risk children off the streets and in the classroom (I oppose vouchers). I support Affirmative Action programs in college admissions because I value diversity in race, experience, and geographical location. I support welfare reform that offers a safety net, not a lifestyle and one that is fair to people that honestly need help.

I oppose gay marriage, but support civil unions. I oppose most gun control regulations (believe that the waiting period for a gun should be cut down and that the assualt weapon ban should be reworked so that hunters' rights are not infringed upon). I support a Balanced Budget Amendment and believe that BOTH tax cuts and spending increases should be balanced out. I support the death penalty for the worst criminals and mandatory minimums for drug prossession while also beliving that drug policy should focus more on rehabilitation than punishment. I support interventionist multilateralism.

That's my stand on most of the issues...tell me what you think I am. I think it's pretty down the middle.

Spoiled

I view marriage as a religious institution to be performed by the church, not a legal one.

I also think the government should get out of the business of marriage licenses and only issue domestic partnership licenses for taxes, benefits, etc. Then, if the church wants to recognize a domestic partnership as a marriage, it's up to them.

To me, that would uphold the sanctity of "marriage", from my religious (Christian) viewpoint.

That said, I recognize that churches would spring up overnight to perform marriage ceremonies between gays and lesbians. :ohwell:
:yeahthat: :yeahthat: :yeahthat:

Ken King

PREMO Member
Well, I am only 17 years old, but I have loved politics ever since I was as young as five (of course at that time I just repeated whatever mom and dad said). After years of history and politics reading (I read all my sisters' AP government books from high school when I was in the 5th grade), I have come to my own opinions that are between my parents (dad's a conservative, yellow dog Democrat while mom is more liberal, even though she voted for Reagan in 84 and Bush in 88). My political philosophy is based on listening to the other side,compromising when needed, and the belief that the average family like mine deserves help from the government when needed.

As for my political philosophy, you can be the judge. I support environmental policies that protect our natural resources and ensure that the next generation gets to see them. I support a Health Care policy that makes it easier for middle class families to afford insurance (I oppose tort reform because I do not believe that it works and because I believe that it infringes upon the people's right to take out lawsuits). I support more federal funding for education so that we can have updated schools, higher teacher salaries, more textbooks, more upper-level courses, and more after-school programs to keep at-risk children off the streets and in the classroom (I oppose vouchers). I support Affirmative Action programs in college admissions because I value diversity in race, experience, and geographical location. I support welfare reform that offers a safety net, not a lifestyle and one that is fair to people that honestly need help.

I oppose gay marriage, but support civil unions. I oppose most gun control regulations (believe that the waiting period for a gun should be cut down and that the assualt weapon ban should be reworked so that hunters' rights are not infringed upon). I support a Balanced Budget Amendment and believe that BOTH tax cuts and spending increases should be balanced out. I support the death penalty for the worst criminals and mandatory minimums for drug prossession while also beliving that drug policy should focus more on rehabilitation than punishment. I support interventionist multilateralism.

That's my stand on most of the issues...tell me what you think I am. I think it's pretty down the middle.
I would say that you are just a little left of center but by no means out on the fringe. Thanks for the input.

rraley

I would say that you are just a little left of center but by no means out on the fringe. Thanks for the input.

Of course, I am a Democrat after all :wink:

Ken King

PREMO Member

That said, I recognize that churches would spring up overnight to perform marriage ceremonies between gays and lesbians. That's fine with me, because my church doesn't have to recognize it. :ohwell:
Okay, I can understand and accept that. I guess that my view is that since the states have been in the business of issuing the licenses (whether endorsed by a religious figure or a magistrate) that the term has lost any true religious meaning for me. Probably also has to do with my disillusionment with the churches as a whole. The vows that my wife and I exchanged before God, as we know him, were administered by a non-denominational minister upon Catholic Church property in front of 500+ heathens during a philanthropic fundraising event for the benefit of local charities.

grandpa

rraley

You seem to be someone that has his head screwed on right. , I may not believe in all the things that you go for, but I applaud your intrest in the political process. I wish there were more like you on both sides of the aisle, it would make a better nation.

C

czygvtwkr

Well this thread was dedicated to Ken but I will chime in also.

I was a registered democrat in WV and when I moved to Maryland I declined to affiliate with a political party. My dad was a democrat his whole life and I agreeded with his views. In WV the democratic party atleast makes the guise of being for the working man instead of 1000's of special interest groups. My dad is also very pro union (worked for Sweeny of the AFLCIO at one point) and I am also pro union, except when they get involved in politics.

In my first election I voted for Bill Clinton. NAFTA came along and I decided that Bill Clinton wasn't who I was going to vote for in the next election. My first year of college was also 1992 and that is where I saw the true definition of "Liberal" and decided those nut jobs were not for me. I saw the religious nutjobs in the republican party and decided that its not for me either.

Too bad that there is no "central" party that uses common sense instead of trying to cater to a group of people.