Another bad accident at moakley street and route 5

3CATSAILOR

Around 3:00pm yesterday there was another bad accident. A vehicle was flipped over on its side and still in the road at Moakley Street. Another had the front end torn off. Ironically yesterday was the same day for a SHA meeting at the Leonardtown Firehouse to address what to do about this intersection that has so many accidents. The conclusion SHA has is to add turn lanes, leaving two north bound and two sound lanes in tact.

Although I didn't hear a mention of a traffic light, it seems pretty evident a light will be needed. Either way, the project extends out to at least 2018 since property will have to be acquired. I suspect it will go further due to some litigation. Therefore, 2020 is probably more realistic. And therefore we should expect more serious accidents during this delay.

The honest answer is in the morning and afternoon when traffic is heavy, it is much too dangerous for traffic to turn on to the road from Moakley or the hospital entrance. Traffic coming over the hill is traveling too fast, even though the speed has been reduced through this area. Police have enforced radar in spotty attempts. However, this area of the road is very difficult to pull cars over since there are not any shoulders. Therefore, I recommend taking the back road to Hollywood-Leonardtown Road. This road has its own congestion. But, At least you can see the traffic that is traveling somewhat slower and with no hills involved.

luvmygdaughters

That's because the idiots that drive that stretch pay no attention to the 40 mph speed limit posted. Also, if you're driving straight thru (not making any left turns) your ass should stay in the right lane between the hours of 7 Am - 9 AM and 3 pm thru 6 pm. That may cut down on the accidents at that intersection. Just wait until the housing development gets finished. Talk about a traffic nightmare. Also, when I moved here, the speed limit on that stretch of Rt. 5 was 30 MPH, since they couldn't enforce that, it was changed to 40.

glhs837

Power with Control
I think it's more due to people getting frustrated at not finding a hole to take a left turn out of Moakley and trying to get out fast. Taking a left out of Moakley during rush hour is a losing bet. I'll just take a right and go down til I either find a safe place to take a left, or hit the light and pull a U-turn. Another issue is folks trying to take a left from 5 onto one of the side streets into northern L-town. Those people cause people behind them to jerk into the right lane, where people are slowing to take rights in Salsas or Moakley. Speed limits are never changed due to inability to enforce them. They are usually only changed due to public pressure (when they go lower) or a study that shows what people are really travelling (supposed to be set to what the 85th percentile travels).

Moakley should be restricted to right turns at certain hours. Left turns from 5 north should be also.

luvmygdaughters

I think it's more due to people getting frustrated at not finding a hole to take a left turn out of Moakley and trying to get out fast. Taking a left out of Moakley during rush hour is a losing bet. I'll just take a right and go down til I either find a safe place to take a left, or hit the light and pull a U-turn. Another issue is folks trying to take a left from 5 onto one of the side streets into northern L-town. Those people cause people behind them to jerk into the right lane, where people are slowing to take rights in Salsas or Moakley. Speed limits are never changed due to inability to enforce them. They are usually only changed due to public pressure (when they go lower) or a study that shows what people are really travelling (supposed to be set to what the 85th percentile travels).

Moakley should be restricted to right turns at certain hours. Left turns from 5 north should be also.

That's what I said, the left lane should be used for turning only during certain hours. When I leave the parking lot where Salsa's and Ledo's is, I would ideally make a left, but that aint happening during rush hour. I make a right, cut thru the hospital parking lot and make a left on 245. Safest way to do it. Also the people who want to make a left off of Lawrence Avenue on to N/B 5 are nuts. Why not just go to the light at the Burchmart and make your left. That should be right turn only.

That's what I said, the left lane should be used for turning only during certain hours. When I leave the parking lot where Salsa's and Ledo's is, I would ideally make a left, but that aint happening during rush hour. I make a right, cut thru the hospital parking lot and make a left on 245. Safest way to do it. Also the people who want to make a left off of Lawrence Avenue on to N/B 5 are nuts. Why not just go to the light at the Burchmart and make your left. That should be right turn only.
I hate when rules have to be laid down because some people are stupid. The shortest (or fastest) distance between two points is not always a straight line when it comes to roads. There are many times I turn right and find a convenient way to turn around rather than turning left across traffic.

The ones that really irk me are people that pull out from the gas station on the corner of 5 and 243 and try to cut across all lanes of Rt 5 traffic to get into the left (northbound) turn lane for 243. WHY don't they just pull out from the gas station on the 243 side? It would be SO much easier.

And if they really had to put a light on 5 near Moakley, I think a better place is the hospital exit. There's more traffic there anyway, and you can cut thru from Moakley to the hospital exit.

nutz

WHY don't they just pull out from the gas station on the 243 side? It would be SO much easier.
Do you really want them to inconvenience themselves? Its easier if everyone else realizes they are in a hurry (or just selfish) and just moves out of their way.

glhs837

Power with Control
Do you really want them to inconvenience themselves? Its easier if everyone else realizes they are in a hurry (or just selfish) and just moves out of their way.

Really, some people don't get how important these gas station puller-outers really are..... :)

BernieP

Resident PIA
That's because the idiots that drive that stretch pay no attention to the 40 mph speed limit posted. Also, if you're driving straight thru (not making any left turns) your ass should stay in the right lane between the hours of 7 Am - 9 AM and 3 pm thru 6 pm. That may cut down on the accidents at that intersection. Just wait until the housing development gets finished. Talk about a traffic nightmare. Also, when I moved here, the speed limit on that stretch of Rt. 5 was 30 MPH, since they couldn't enforce that, it was changed to 40.

it's a catch 22, if you are in the right lane you are behind all the people who have to stop to make sharp rights all along the stretch of road. If you are in the left lane you probably run into (no pun intended) fewer stops for left turns.
It's one area where speed probably does have a direct correlation as people simply can't react quick enough to either situation.
The answer is probably a light at Moakly street and have the new housing development exit there. I believe they already cut through to the development. It also gives the hospital an exit with light.

I know widening the road and putting a center turn lane has been discussed, but there is a lot of people that would be affected by that. Lots of rights of way to take, utility poles to move.

luvmygdaughters

it's a catch 22, if you are in the right lane you are behind all the people who have to stop to make sharp rights all along the stretch of road. If you are in the left lane you probably run into (no pun intended) fewer stops for left turns.
It's one area where speed probably does have a direct correlation as people simply can't react quick enough to either situation.
The answer is probably a light at Moakly street and have the new housing development exit there. I believe they already cut through to the development. It also gives the hospital an exit with light.

I know widening the road and putting a center turn lane has been discussed, but there is a lot of people that would be affected by that. Lots of rights of way to take, utility poles to move.

I saw in the County Times, SHA has posted a notice to anyone who has relatives interred at the St. Pauls Cemetery on Rt. 5, the graves may have to be reinterred at a different location because of widening that road. SOunds like it is in the works for a center turn lane.

CrashTest

Taking a left out of Moakley during rush hour is a losing bet. I'll just take a right and go down til I either find a safe place to take a left, or hit the light and pull a U-turn.

Hell - I have to do that sometimes now pulling out of my road in Wildewood.

I saw in the County Times, SHA has posted a notice to anyone who has relatives interred at the St. Pauls Cemetery on Rt. 5, the graves may have to be reinterred at a different location because of widening that road. SOunds like it is in the works for a center turn lane.
Who pays for that...:confused:

Agee

:poltergeist: you moved the headstones, but you didn't move the bodies :yikes:

Who pays for that...:confused:

you and I...

BernieP

Resident PIA
:poltergeist: you moved the headstones, but you didn't move the bodies :yikes:

you and I...

after watching how they cut corners on the 235 widening it would not surprise me if they did that :)

Wait, I forgot, they'll have to move the bodies where all the poles are set, heaven forbid they bury the lines and improve line of sight for those trying to exit.