How is the new clear your sidewalk law working out?

3CATSAILOR

Our Commissioners were proud of themselves when they created the clear your local sidewalk law. Of course they call it something else. But, it amounts to the same thing. I wonder how it is working out for them? Are citizens complying with the law? If not, is the County enforcing it and following through as they said they would do.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Pretty sure this law was aimed at commercial property owners on Great Mills Road.

it was and I'm sure they have all complied with a WTF am I supposed to put the snow that your road crews rolled up on to the sidewalk?

Sucks to be them.

3CATSAILOR

it was and I'm sure they have all complied with a WTF am I supposed to put the snow that your road crews rolled up on to the sidewalk?

Sucks to be them.

And don't forget our Commissioners who call themselves Republicans but act more like Democrats are proud of this law.

BigDogT

So what happens when there is an accident or injury while the adjacent property owner is clearing the sidewalks from State or County-owned property??? Sounds like a huge liability on the part of the State and County...

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

I would tell the county to go pound sand.

13th Amendment to the US Constitution: Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

No matter how you look at it, the county is forcing you to do something, without compensation, and with the threat of a fine, and more, for not complying.

glhs837

Power with Control
Ha ha; read the law again........ carefully.

I did, and I stand by my statement. If any homeowner is fined for this I will be highly surprised. It came about because of Great Mills Road, and if anyone is fined, it will be them.

3CATSAILOR

If I may ...

I would tell the county to go pound sand.

13th Amendment to the US Constitution: Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

No matter how you look at it, the county is forcing you to do something, without compensation, and with the threat of a fine, and more, for not complying.

LightRoasted,

Your post is outstanding! You are exactly correct. Don't forget Leonardtown has a similar law which they have had for some time. Leonardtown is not a Lexington Park. For one, they are not an incorporated town. I wish they were. 2) They have many businesses right along sidewalks, whereas, it is in their own interest to keep the walks clear. In Lexington Park you can have private property with a nearby sidewalk. And the County forces you to keep it clear. The law is likely NOT to be challenged in Leonardtown since they have some vested interest in keeping their local businesses open. In Lexington Park, I have no doubt it will be at some point. However, for a court case to stand, you will have to show you incurred damages. If you clear the snow, the snow melts on to the sidewalk that you cleared and then becomes ice. Someone then slips on the ice before you had a chance to put down salt, wa-la, you have an incurred damage and a potentially significant law suite depending upon the injury. Or, if the person has a heart attack clearing the snow based on an illegal law that our County assumes is legal. You then have another law suit.

Remember, every single law is legal until it is challenged and overturn. Of course the sidewalk clearing law is ILLEGAL. I told the Commissioners this before it become law. They did it anyhow. I don't know what kind of legal counsel our Commissioners are obtaining. Are they told the truth or what the County lawyer thinks the Commissioners want to hear? You decide. If I am a County Commissioner I want the truth of what the laws of our State and Country say I can and can't do. I do not want to set the County up for litigation during or after I am a Commissioner. And this is exactly what will occur.

PeoplesElbow

Not sure how the law is really any different than having to have a perc or clean up health hazards. Communities have laws where people have to pick up their dog #### when walking their dogs.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...
LightRoasted,

Your post is outstanding! You are exactly correct. Don't forget Leonardtown has a similar law which they have had for some time. Leonardtown is not a Lexington Park. For one, they are not an incorporated town. I wish they were. 2) They have many businesses right along sidewalks, whereas, it is in their own interest to keep the walks clear. In Lexington Park you can have private property with a nearby sidewalk. And the County forces you to keep it clear. The law is likely NOT to be challenged in Leonardtown since they have some vested interest in keeping their local businesses open. In Lexington Park, I have no doubt it will be at some point. However, for a court case to stand, you will have to show you incurred damages. If you clear the snow, the snow melts on to the sidewalk that you cleared and then becomes ice. Someone then slips on the ice before you had a chance to put down salt, wa-la, you have an incurred damage and a potentially significant law suite depending upon the injury. Or, if the person has a heart attack clearing the snow based on an illegal law that our County assumes is legal. You then have another law suit.

Remember, every single law is legal until it is challenged and overturn. Of course the sidewalk clearing law is ILLEGAL. I told the Commissioners this before it become law. They did it anyhow. I don't know what kind of legal counsel our Commissioners are obtaining. Are they told the truth or what the County lawyer thinks the Commissioners want to hear? You decide. If I am a County Commissioner I want the truth of what the laws of our State and Country say I can and can't do. I do not want to set the County up for litigation during or after I am a Commissioner. And this is exactly what will occur.
Why thank you. I think the standing would arise from the imposition of a fine. Also, I hate governments that operate under the color of law.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...
Not sure how the law is really any different than having to have a perc or clean up health hazards. Communities have laws where people have to pick up their dog #### when walking their dogs.
You are referring to man made or caused events. Dog #### doesn't just fall from the heavens, you know. It's not some natural meteorological event. Those causing certain events to occur, yes, should be made to clean it up.

PeoplesElbow

If I may ...You are referring to man made or caused events. Dog #### doesn't just fall from the heavens, you know. It's not some natural meteorological event. Those causing certain events to occur, yes, should be made to clean it up.

I'm just saying the "illegal servitude" argument against it is probably not valid. If you want to talk about natural events how about property owners having to cut overgrown property? Plants growing is most certainly an act of nature.

I'm not for this law, I just think that it has precedent that shows it is not an illegal law.

This law is already in place in Frederick County and has been for some time. My sis has seen folks in her neighborhood receive fines for not shoveling.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
This law is already in place in Frederick County and has been for some time. My sis has seen folks in her neighborhood receive fines for not shoveling.

This is the only area I have ever heard of not having this law.

Yeah, there's an awful lot of stupid going around in this thread.

"Involuntary servitude" my ass.

Governments always operate "under the cover of law". That's what they are.