Need To Turn Tags In

officeguy

Make sure to keep insurance active for a couple of days past the date on your receipt. It's $150 fine for the first day if they screw up the data entry.

DEEKAYPEE8569

Make sure to keep insurance active for a couple of days past the date on your receipt. It's $150 fine for the first day if they screw up the data entry.
....and save your receipt

Here's the thing.....I sold the car to my Brother who lives in Tennessee. He and SIL came up before Thanksgiving and drove it home with my tags. Since Tennessee's rules and regs are easier; according to "J," re-registering the car was a lot easier. A few weeks later, when I went to TN for Christmas, I brought the tags home. Between having to go to work; and the recently lousy weather, I haven't had a chance to turn them in.
The car is no longer registered nor insured in my name, so I'm essentially still carrying car insurance on license plates. IF I can get off work early one afternoon, I'll go turn the tags in. :shrug:

vince77

Here's the thing.....I sold the car to my Brother who lives in Tennessee. He and SIL came up before Thanksgiving and drove it home with my tags. Since Tennessee's rules and regs are easier; according to "J," re-registering the car was a lot easier. A few weeks later, when I went to TN for Christmas, I brought the tags home. Between having to go to work; and the recently lousy weather, I haven't had a chance to turn them in.
The car is no longer registered nor insured in my name, so I'm essentially still carrying car insurance on license plates. IF I can get off work early one afternoon, I'll go turn the tags in. :shrug:

Turned tags in a couple months ago in Waldorf, took 5 minutes, fill out a one page form, wrap a rubber band around tags and form, drop in slot. No human contact necessary.

Last edited:
Can I get a refund of my registration fee if the license plates are not expired?

You may be eligible for a refund if your license plate expiration date is more than 12 months away. Ask the MVA customer service agent about a refund when you return the license plates. Otherwise you will need to complete the MVA form titled Application for Registration Plate Refund and include it with the license plates you are returning.
http://www.mva.maryland.gov/about-mva/info/27300/27300-04T.htm

and remember to return your registration card also.

How should I return my license plates?

You can return license plates in any of the following ways:
•Return them in person to any MVA branch office, including express offices.
•Return them to any MVA authorized tag and title service.
•Drop them in one of the MVA license plate return drop boxes. Currently, drop boxes with 24 hour access are located at the Baltimore City, Columbia, Gaithersburg, Glen Burnie, and Salisbury offices. Drop boxes are available during normal business hours at the Essex office.
•Mail them to the Glen Burnie MVA office. Sending them by certified mail with return receipt requested is recommended.

Note: When you return the license plates, always include your registration card.

WARNING: Do not cancel your insurance until you are sure that the MVA has received your license plates. Failure to do so could result in a large fine.

Last edited:

DEEKAYPEE8569

Can I get a refund of my registration fee if the license plates are not expired?

You may be eligible for a refund if your license plate expiration date is more than 12 months away. Ask the MVA customer service agent about a refund when you return the license plates. Otherwise you will need to complete the MVA form titled Application for Registration Plate Refund and include it with the license plates you are returning.
http://www.mva.maryland.gov/about-mva/info/27300/27300-04T.htm

and remember to return your registration card also.

How should I return my license plates?

You can return license plates in any of the following ways:
•Return them in person to any MVA branch office, including express offices.
•Return them to any MVA authorized tag and title service.
•Drop them in one of the MVA license plate return drop boxes. Currently, drop boxes with 24 hour access are located at the Baltimore City, Columbia, Gaithersburg, Glen Burnie, and Salisbury offices. Drop boxes are available during normal business hours at the Essex office.
•Mail them to the Glen Burnie MVA office. Sending them by certified mail with return receipt requested is recommended.

Note: When you return the license plates, always include your registration card.

WARNING: Do not cancel your insurance until you are sure that the MVA has received your license plates. Failure to do so could result in a large fine.

IRT post#3; Direct Express; now that's just TOO easy; and they're open til 6. Problem solved.....

officeguy

You may end up getting a hefty ticket from the MVA for having an 'uninsured vehicle'. $150 for day 1-30 and $7 for each day thereafter. They dont care that your brother registered and insured the car in TN, they only care that you had a set of plates but no insurance that corresponded to those plates. Turn them in in person, get a receipt, wait if they start to bug you. Just like the Nice bridge charges you $6 to leave the state, it is a final 'fluck you' from the state of MD to anyone who manages to leave.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
You may end up getting a hefty ticket from the MVA for having an 'uninsured vehicle'. $150 for day 1-30 and $7 for each day thereafter. They dont care that your brother registered and insured the car in TN, they only care that you had a set of plates but no insurance that corresponded to those plates. Turn them in in person, get a receipt, wait if they start to bug you. Just like the Nice bridge charges you $6 to leave the state, it is a final 'fluck you' from the state of MD to anyone who manages to leave.
He said he is still carrying insurance on that vehicle even though the car is tagged and insured by his brother.

DEEKAYPEE8569

Yet another way for the state to pick your pocket. :burning: Thing about that is, I do still have insurance that corresponds to those plates.....for a car that I no longer own; and they (My insurance company) won't cancel said insurance til I bring them a receipt for the turned in tags. So I'm not worried about fines. Speaking of my insurance company.....I have a bill for coverage on the 2012 that's due in a week. I'll have the tags turned in before then.

officeguy

Yet another way for the state to pick your pocket. :burning: Thing about that is, I do still have insurance that corresponds to those plates.....for a car that I no longer own; and they (My insurance company) won't cancel said insurance til I bring them a receipt for the turned in tags. So I'm not worried about fines. Speaking of my insurance company.....I have a bill for coverage on the 2012 that's due in a week. I'll have the tags turned in before then.

Well, your insurance companies stubbornness protected you from a fine. I have not had any issues with waiting in Loveville. I would not want to rely on a tag agent or the postal service to get the plates back to the MVA. Cancel the insurance effective at least 2-3 days later.

It would have probably been easier for him to obtain temporary or even permanent TN tags to come and pick up the car.

vince77

Not picking on you, but when you let your brother drive away with your tags, you created this aggravation. This tag turn in/insurance procedure has been place for a long time.

DEEKAYPEE8569

Not picking on you, but when you let your brother drive away with your tags, you created this aggravation.
True. :shrug: Water under the bridge now.

This tag turn in/insurance procedure has been place for a long time.
I did not know that. Obviously. Maryland has SO many hoops to have to jump through for things like this. J told me that TN is WAAAAY simpler. So I researched it; and it is, by leaps and bounds.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
True. :shrug: Water under the bridge now.

I did not know that. Obviously. Maryland has SO many hoops to have to jump through for things like this.

?? Hoops to jump through? Maryland just has a very firm and verifiable requirement for insurance coverage. No insurance...no tags/registration. It is true that other states are more lax....I didn't have to worry about returning the Virginia tags or registration off the Cherokee I recently acquired from family member in Virginia. In fact, they are keeping the tags and putting on the garage wall because they were personalized... Can't do that here in MD unfortunately.

DEEKAYPEE8569

?? Hoops to jump through? Maryland just has a very firm and verifiable requirement for insurance coverage. No insurance...no tags/registration. It is true that other states are more lax....I didn't have to worry about returning the Virginia tags or registration off the Cherokee I recently acquired from family member in Virginia. In fact, they are keeping the tags and putting on the garage wall because they were personalized... Can't do that here in MD unfortunately.

I know what I meant; just poorly expressed it.