So who watched Kerry's speech last night

Pete

Repete
What did you think? I thought he did a great job, good message, good delivery, not too vague yet not too specific. I like that he was straight forward and said that the higher income people are going to get screwed if he wins. I liked the plea to be civil and the patriotic stuff.

However

I thought that his idea that he is going to provide low cost healthcare to the middle class is goofy, the government does not provide healthcare, they just fund it. Every President always vows to crack down on Medicaid fraud but never does. Bush recently announced a cut in the amount that the gov will pay for in office cancer drugs and that is the first I have ever seen and it is not much.

I am sick of Kerry parading around like SGT York. He did 4 months in Vietnam for pizz sakes30 years ago, hell Walter Cronkite has more time "in country" than he does. I am not disallowing his service but he is making a $1 million dollar case out of a dollars worth of evidence. Stop saluting, stop reporting for duty, stop making movies about it, stop, STOP STOP. A real hero is humble, or at least ACTS humble while others talk you up. He is just plain silly and it makes me want to hurl.

"I will build a stronger military" Yet he has voted AGAINST every weapons program.

In his intro he skipped entirely 20 years of yawnfest in the Senate.

So in a nutshell he is going to ,

Beef up the military by adding 40,000
Add new weapons systems
provide low cost healthcare
prescription drugs
fund head start, early start
fund after school programs
give tax breaks to business that do not move jobs overseas

and much much more..........all by CUTTING middle class taxes and taxing the crap out of the rich, BTW you are rich if you make over $200,000 a year.

Somehow it seems to me that he is trying to stuff 100lbs of crap into a 5lb

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
I loved his plan for healthcare. :rolleyes:

First he says he's going to stop the outsourcing of jobs.
Then he says that every American has the right to healthcare. (aka socialized medicine) Then in the same breath he says that seniors should be able to buy their medicines cheaply in Canada.

So what he's saying is that he's going to stop the outsourcing of jobs by buying our medicine from other countries. :confused: Wouldn't that effectively mean that he's going to stop outsourcing by outsourcing medicine?

He's going to force every medical professional to provide treatment whether they want to or not, for however much money he's willing to pay them. That'd be interesting. Tell that to all the kids in med school who are $100K in debt from student loans right now. Tell them when they graduate they'll have to work on the cheap.

If he wants to make medicine more affordable, why doesn't he try convincing a bunch of kids to go into medicine and work for free. BECAUSE THAT'S UNAMERICAN, STUPID!!!! :burning:

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Originally posted by Pete

"I will build a stronger military" Yet he has voted AGAINST every weapons program.

I caught that too. :ohwell:

So in a nutshell he is going to ,

fund head start, early start
fund after school programs

So in effect, he's offering to let the government raise your kids. Well thanks John for allowing me to shirk my responsibility as a parent. :rolleyes:

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'

and much much more..........all by CUTTING middle class taxes and taxing the crap out of the rich, BTW you are rich if you make over $200,000 a year.

I don't understand how guys like Affleck and DiCaprio can sit in that audience and cheer that John Kerry is going to take more of their money. I mean, these guys definitely fall in the $200K+ tax bracket. :shrug:

Why is it that Hollywood is so liberal when the liberals are out to get them? :confused:

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
What did you think? I thought he did a great job, good message, good delivery, not too vague yet not too specific. I like that he was straight forward and said that the higher income people are going to get screwed if he wins. I liked the plea to be civil and the patriotic stuff.

I agree with you on this. It was a much better delivery than I expected. Although, what was the bit with the American Flag? He spent 2 solid minutes on it and didn't say a thing worth saying.

I didn't like the plea to be civil. He acted like he was taking the high road when it's the Democrats who have in fact been Bush-bashing, and I have yet to see Bush make a negative comment on Kerry's intelligence and character. Kinda hypocritical to me.

As for the rest of the patriotic stuff... I liked it too. Even the bit about the flag, even though it didn't fit in the speech.

Pete

Repete
Re: Re: So who watched Kerry's speech last night

Originally posted by sleuth
I don't understand how guys like Affleck and DiCaprio can sit in that audience and cheer that John Kerry is going to take more of their money. I mean, these guys definitely fall in the $200K+ tax bracket. :shrug:

Why is it that Hollywood is so liberal when the liberals are out to get them? :confused:
guilt

I liked the "losers row" Mondale and Gray Davis

Pete

Repete
Re: Re: So who watched Kerry's speech last night

I agree with you on this. It was a much better delivery than I expected. Although, what was the bit with the American Flag? He spent 2 solid minutes on it and didn't say a thing worth saying.

I didn't like the plea to be civil. He acted like he was taking the high road when it's the Democrats who have in fact been Bush-bashing, and I have yet to see Bush make a negative comment on Kerry's intelligence and character. Kinda hypocritical to me.

As for the rest of the patriotic stuff... I liked it too. Even the bit about the flag, even though it didn't fit in the speech.
Yea, he called Bush a liar, and that he was going to return trust and integrity to the White House, THEN plead to be civil. :duh:

Last edited:

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Re: Re: Re: So who watched Kerry's speech last night

Yea, he called Bush a liar, and that he was going to return trust and integrity to the White House, THEN plead to be civil. :duh:

return 'integrity' to the white house ... that the last dumocrat prez destroyed. :rolleyes:

I started to watch it, and fell asleep within 5 minutes. :ohwell:

Thx for the summary. :yay:

Shakezula

Insert Lame Innuendo Here

So what he's saying is that he's going to stop the outsourcing of jobs by buying our medicine from other countries. :confused: Wouldn't that effectively mean that he's going to stop outsourcing by outsourcing medicine?

I caught this too, and thought the exact same thing. His sentence (if we're talking about the same one) was strange. He said something to the effect of "... Like in Canada!"

Was he saying- we can buy medicine from places, such as canada

or was he saying- we should have a similar healthcare program, to canada's

??

rraley

I thought that Kerry delivered wonderfully last night; he far exceeded my expectations (maybe that's why he seemed to do so well; no one thought he would).

First of all, while Senator Kerry voted against funding for many weapons programs, he didn't vote against "every" one as was suggested. Remember, he was representing Massachusetts, a state which believes that our military should function with sticks, so Kerry's record from twenty years ago was conservative compared to many Massachusetts residents' desires. Recently, though, he has voted for the largest defense budgets in the history of this nation; the times changed, we were attacked, and the time to cut back on weapons has passed.

About the "cutting middle class taxes" from Kerry...that was a misrepresentation of his proposal. You see, since Kerry supports keeping the Bush tax cuts in place for the middle class, he can say that he has proposed cutting taxes for 98% of Americans. Basically, he's using Bush's proposal for his own benefit. Is he stretching it? You better believe it, but it is a good policy to keep those tax cuts in place. He does support rolling back the taxes for the richest Americans and I think that we should and to say that he is gonna tax the crap out of them is a misnomer. During the Clinton years, taxes were as high as the ones that Kerry proposes (they were even higher than under Reagan and Bush I), yet the economy still grew at the fastest rate in history. We have to realize that there is a large deficit and the only way to cut it is to cut spending (something that the GOP Congress has refused to do), or reinstall the taxes that the rich used to pay. Senator Kerry picked the latter as well as restarting PAYGO in budgetary matters.

About the prescription drug deal and reimportation from Canada...Senator Kerry supports it so that consumers get the lowest prices for drugs that are over priced here in America. He does not propose universal, single-payer health care or "socialized medicine" as you may call it, like they have in Canada. To stop the increase of Health Care costs, he has proposed taking catastrophic cases out of the system, which anaylsts say will cut Health Care costs by about 10-15%.

I loved to hear the analysis afterwards...some were saying that Kerry may be on the verge of taking national security away from the GOP like Clinton did on welfare reform.

Pete

Repete
Originally posted by rraley
I thought that Kerry delivered wonderfully last night; he far exceeded my expectations (maybe that's why he seemed to do so well; no one thought he would).

First of all, while Senator Kerry voted against funding for many weapons programs, he didn't vote against "every" one as was suggested. Remember, he was representing Massachusetts, a state which believes that our military should function with sticks, so Kerry's record from twenty years ago was conservative compared to many Massachusetts residents' desires. Recently, though, he has voted for the largest defense budgets in the history of this nation; the times changed, we were attacked, and the time to cut back on weapons has passed.
This is what short sightedness does for you. You cannot just go to Weaponssystem-mart and pick up some stuff off the self. Anything he funds if elected will take 5 years or more to develop. That is why we need to continuously pursue development to stay modern. All those programs he voted against are the ones that would be in place now or coming online if they had passed.

About the "cutting middle class taxes" from Kerry...that was a misrepresentation of his proposal. You see, since Kerry supports keeping the Bush tax cuts in place for the middle class, he can say that he has proposed cutting taxes for 98% of Americans. Basically, he's using Bush's proposal for his own benefit. Is he stretching it?
Not what he said last night. He said he was going to roll back the taxes on the wealthy, and actually "cut" taxes on the middle class. "Cut" in my mind means reducing them from where they are right now. NOT keeping the tax cut the President already gave us.

You better believe it, but it is a good policy to keep those tax cuts in place.
:shocked: a Dem applauding a tax cut?

He does support rolling back the taxes for the richest Americans and I think that we should and to say that he is gonna tax the crap out of them is a misnomer.
Sure was talking about a bunch of new stuff he was going to fund and the only taxes he said he was raising were the ones for $200,000 and over. :ohwell:

I loved to hear the analysis afterwards...some were saying that Kerry may be on the verge of taking national security away from the GOP like Clinton did on welfare reform.
What I heard was he gave a good speech, he totally avoided mentioning his lack luster senate career and that Clinton actually vetoed Welfare reform 2 times before the GOP lead congress got it through.

Steve

Enjoying life!
Originally posted by rraley
He does support rolling back the taxes for the richest Americans and I think that we should...

Can you elaborate on why this should be done? The argument that "the rich can afford increases in tax" is hardly a supportable argument. In fact, it is blatant income redistribution and incentivizes laziness. Hard work deserves higher pay, but what good is working beyond a certain threshold if the gains are taken through taxation?

I would love to hear a convincing defense for the higher taxes...

Pete

Repete
I have a question for the libs who support progressive taxes.

Since the higher income people pay more per capita in taxes both in total and by % and you think that is ok, do you support them getting special privledge from the government for paying more? After all it is not exactly fair that a "wealthy" person pay 1000% more for the exact same service as some one who gets EIC.

How about the upper tax brackets get:

Head of line privledge and free admission at all government facilities, national parks, museums, MVA, and so on.

Special freeways or lanes so they do not have to sit in traffic.

Special busses or train cars on public transportation.

Free licenses and vehicle registrations.

Seperate schools for their kids.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Originally posted by Steve
Can you elaborate on why this should be done? The argument that "the rich can afford increases in tax" is hardly a supportable argument. In fact, it is blatant income redistribution and incentivizes laziness. Hard work deserves higher pay, but what good is working beyond a certain threshold if the gains are taken through taxation?

I would love to hear a convincing defense for the higher taxes...

:yeahthat:
Kerry said he wants everyone to get ahead...
And he also said he wants to tax the richest Americans...
So basically, he wants everyone to get ahead to the point where he can knock'em back down with new taxes, at which point they are no longer "getting ahead". :ohwell:

Steve

Enjoying life!
I have a question for the libs who support progressive taxes.

Since the higher income people pay more per capita in taxes both in total and by % and you think that is ok, do you support them getting special privledge from the government for paying more? After all it is not exactly fair that a "wealthy" person pay 1000% more for the exact same service as some one who gets EIC.

How about the upper tax brackets get:

Head of line privledge and free admission at all government facilities, national parks, museums, MVA, and so on.

Special freeways or lanes so they do not have to sit in traffic.

Special busses or train cars on public transportation.

Free licenses and vehicle registrations.

Seperate schools for their kids.

:clap: Can I write you in when I vote in November?

Steve

Enjoying life!
certainly my man, I may even have a cabinet position for you............Mr Secretary.

I like the sound of that! :biggrin:

But don't you think your incentives for the rich would create a class system, further dividing our already fracturing society? :confused:

Pete

Repete
Originally posted by Steve
I like the sound of that! :biggrin:

But don't you think your incentives for the rich would create a class system, further dividing our already fracturing society? :confused:
We are a class driven society anyway so WTH :shrug: Listen to the Dems talk for any longer than 2 minutes and they start on the "evil rich" the "wealthiest 2%" so if you are going to be classed anyway might as well get compensation for paying more.

Steve

Enjoying life!
We are a class driven society anyway so WTH :shrug: Listen to the Dems talk for any longer than 2 minutes and they start on the "evil rich" the "wealthiest 2%" so if you are going to be classed anyway might as well get compensation for paying more.

Oh, okay. Since you put it that way. :yay: