Best option(s) for having an elderly dog put down at home rather than vet?

The "end of life with dignity" currently being discussed for humans has me wondering what my options are for my elderly dogs?

I have a 15 year old and a soon to be 16 year old who are both elderly and okay for now, but are both well past the average life expectancy for their breed.

I expect that when they do reach "the end" point they will go down hill fast. I despise the thought of having to make a vet appointment and take them to a clinical environment they ABSOLUTELY HATE. Do I have any options for calling any "traveling vet" that will come to our home?

I'd rather ask now when I have time to investigate options rather than be in the stresses of the end times.

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
sorry i hear this, it is hard, we've done it twice.

I worked with three notch, I went there and heald them both, not fun, BUT better then seeing them suffer. You'll know when it's time.... Ask them or any Vet, i'd imagine they provide this service.

ginwoman

I use Three Notch and I took my Golden to them to have it done. We hated doing it. They would have come to the house and done it. Its just that if you do that you are at the mercy of when they can come out so it kind of leaves you hanging. That's how I felt anyhow. It would have cost $200 (I think is what they told me) to come out and there was no charge to bring her there. I'm kind of in that boat again with my almost 16 year old poodle.

You are wise to think about this now.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I think your dogs, or at least that one, are too mean to die. But yes, the mobile vet Roman recommended is terrific and a nice way to let them go with as little trauma as possible.

When Apollo goes I'm going to build a funeral pyre and throw myself on it.

I think your dogs, or at least that one, are too mean to die. But yes, the mobile vet Roman recommended is terrific and a nice way to let them go with as little trauma as possible.

When Apollo goes I'm going to build a funeral pyre and throw myself on it.
She is the absolute most sweetest, loving dog I believe I've ever known... and I grew up in a family that fostered dogs and were active members of the what was then "St. Mary's county humane society"... she just doesn't like new people, or new things, or bicycles, or motorcycles, or a trash bag left at the end of the walkway that doesn't belong there, or... etc. etc. :lol: Other than that she sings and dances and talks and cuddles and kisses, etc. :dance:

When it came to that, Three Notch came to the house. I felt it was a bit more private than having to cry your way thru a waiting room full of people.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
When it came to that, Three Notch came to the house. I felt it was a bit more private than having to cry your way thru a waiting room full of people.

I hear ya. Done that twice myself from Three Notch over the years...:frown:

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
All Kinds came to our house for our last Pup that we said good bye to.
Autumn & Adam came out together.
I would rather have it done at home now, our Pup was more relaxed while laying in her own bed.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
A friend of mine just took her pet rat to the vet to put it down.

I soooooo wanted to ask her why she did that, when she could have just given him some rat poison. But I didn't.

ginwoman

I totally agree. I've seen people go thru with their pets crying and shaking and I can't handle it. And I was in the waiting room myself last April and they didn't offer me to come thru the back door or anything. We sat in the waiting room with our dog just like everyone else. I didn't think that was right. (Three Notch Vet) but normally I am very happy with them.

I'm getting ready to have to deal with this real soon and think I may contact the Mobile Vet service. Don't know yet. :( I just know I don't want to have to take my dog because he gets so upset at the vet anymore.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
Most Vets will take you through the employee exit.

Not the emergency vet in Calvert Co. I had to stand at the counter, crying and snot running down my face to pay and leave through the front door. I sent my 10 yr. old daughter to the car. It was awful.

ginwoman

Sorry you had that awful experience getbent

QUOTE=getbent;5627773]Not the emergency vet in Calvert Co. I had to stand at the counter, crying and snot running down my face to pay and leave through the front door. I sent my 10 yr. old daughter to the car. It was awful.[/QUOTE]

Roman

Not the emergency vet in Calvert Co. I had to stand at the counter, crying and snot running down my face to pay and leave through the front door. I sent my 10 yr. old daughter to the car. It was awful.
Gosh, I am very sorry you had to go through that. You would think every Vet would have a back door for situations such as that. Solomon's Clinic was very good about that when it happened to us in 2010.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Have any of you shot your pet?

Why would you say such an awful thing? Just wondering. Sometimes I don't get what you call humor.

Anyway, we had our first dog, Cookie, put down at PF Animal Hospital. They, actually, have a room to put you in when saying good bye to your furry lovie, and are very caring about the animal and the owner's trauma of it all. They ask if you want to be there when the injection is done. With Cookie it was sudden. One minute she had just been outside, and next minute she couldn't walk and was dragging herself across the floor. So, we threw her in the car and rushed her to PF. It was a whirlwind and very sad. The second time it was time, I called Dr. Darnell to come to our home, so it would not be so traumatizing. Oreo had all of a sudden started bleeding from her mouth. I knew that was not good. It is always sad because we know that our pets depend on us. Info below about Dr. Darnell. Hang in pet lovers. We love them, but know when it is time. :huggy:

One more thing: When Dr. Darnell came to the house to put our lab, Oreo, down, she asked me what Oreo's favorite food was. I told her chicken. She had me hand feed her chicken once the injection was done. Oreo left this world eating her favorite thing with me holding her head in my arms. It is sad, I know, and it is hard to be at the spot in the kitchen where she passed, but I know she was happy. Hope this helps.

http://darnellsmobilevet.com/

Please support your local animal shelter. That is where Cookie and Oreo came from. Thanks. We had both dogs for 14 years.

Last edited: