Cutting the cord ...... Need some guidance/feedback.

Hannibal

The family and I are counting down the days until our new house is finally built and ready to be occupied. In the coming weeks, we need to start making arrangements for the various utility hookups and switchovers. This has brought us to the conversation of cable TV and whether we want to do it. I've previously had Direct TV for TV (and was fine with them) and I know we will be more or less limited to Comcast for internet (which we will need).

We've talked in the past about "cutting the cord" and I am fine with such an idea. We don't watch all that much TV and our kids can easily access their shows via Amazon Prime or the Fire Stick. As for the wife and I, we can also get the majority of our shows via Prime or Netflix or something like Hulu (whatever smart TV/app is necessary).

That all being said, if it was that simple, I think this would be a no-brainer. I've never "enjoyed" paying $175/mos for TV when we really only watch a handful of shows. But the problem comes with sports ..........

I am a huge Nats/Caps/Redskins fan and would need to have access to their games. The Skins shouldn't matter as they are covered on the local channels (I know I'd need a separate antennae) but what about the others? Can I access the other games by some manner?

What I am looking for is some guidance from someone who has done this successfully. If possible, I'd like to keep the ability to watch those games (typically on CSN) ...........

Can someone point out what they've done and what has worked out for them?

Thanks in advance.

H

Hodr

I'm not the biggest sports fan, so I haven't made use of this service, but lots of people seem to be happy with Sling.com. The basic package for $20/mo comes with ESPN/ESPN2, and for $5 more for the "sports package" you get like 10 or 15 additional sports channels.

calvcopf

The family and I are counting down the days until our new house is finally built and ready to be occupied. In the coming weeks, we need to start making arrangements for the various utility hookups and switchovers. This has brought us to the conversation of cable TV and whether we want to do it. I've previously had Direct TV for TV (and was fine with them) and I know we will be more or less limited to Comcast for internet (which we will need).

We've talked in the past about "cutting the cord" and I am fine with such an idea. We don't watch all that much TV and our kids can easily access their shows via Amazon Prime or the Fire Stick. As for the wife and I, we can also get the majority of our shows via Prime or Netflix or something like Hulu (whatever smart TV/app is necessary).

That all being said, if it was that simple, I think this would be a no-brainer. I've never "enjoyed" paying $175/mos for TV when we really only watch a handful of shows. But the problem comes with sports ..........

I am a huge Nats/Caps/Redskins fan and would need to have access to their games. The Skins shouldn't matter as they are covered on the local channels (I know I'd need a separate antennae) but what about the others? Can I access the other games by some manner?

What I am looking for is some guidance from someone who has done this successfully. If possible, I'd like to keep the ability to watch those games (typically on CSN) ...........

Thanks in advance.

Just call DISH or DirectTv. It so hit or miss to try to constantly search for what you want to watch by streaming and I haven't found a way to get the Nats games. Cord cutting sounds good until you realize just how much of a pain in the ass it is when you just want to turn on the TV and watch your shows.

steppinthrax

Thanks in advance.

I cut the cord 4 years ago and I can say it's the best decision ever made. I have comcast, I dropped the tv and everything (keeping just the high speed). My bill went from 152 a month to around 76 a month. I use Netflix and have Amazon Prime. There are a whole slew of free channels on Roku, you just need to look. Then you have Hulu and a whole bunch of other channels. I'm sure there are ESPN channels etc. Also we watch a lot of movies via YouTube and Break on the Roku. It's awesome!!! You can get local channels by getting a HD antenna and that should take care of that!

vince77

They're all the same, they all use the same business model ....low introductory packages followed by jacking them up when the deal expires. If you want to watch the Caps/Nats, I don't see a viable alternative to cable.

Ginger0314

We have Comcast Internet(not by choice but that is all that is available) have Roku, Amazon Prime, Netflix, Hulu, and Sling which has ESPN/ESPN2 and an HD Antennae. Still more tv than anyone can watch

BernieP

Resident PIA
If you have Comcast for internet you should have the bandwidth to stream pretty much anything.
Most of the leagues offer packages now designed for people who stream. I know the NHL equivalent to Center Ice is Game Center.
With Comcast and their relationship with the NHL I can't promise every feed you get will be the Caps announcers.
You can watch almost every network show via stream, except CBS which apparently you need their App - we stream with our phone then ChromeCast to the tv.
That might be a hang up, not every site allows that.
Check out the smart TV's, they have the ability to access directly over the internet, sort of like cable TV only it's internet TV

edreedisgod20

You won't be able to watch the Capitals live using Gamecenter if you live in their local broadcast area, they'll be blacked out. Gamecenter does post the full game replays two days later if you don't mind watching knowing the result. Gamecenter and the MLB/NBA equivalent services are for out of market fans or fans of the sport who want to watch a bunch of games, not fans of local teams who want to cord cut.

Smith

Comcast does offer a package called "Blast! Plus" which includes high-speed internet (I average 86Mbps) and Digital Economy TV service for $90.95. You won't be able to find it listed on their website through any of the regular links because they push hard for the big bundles, but it is available. The channels include all the local channels and some of the cable-only channels: Food Network, but no HGTV; Discovery, but no TLC; etc. (No ESPN, CSN, or NFL either)

steppinthrax

Comcast does offer a package called "Blast! Plus" which includes high-speed internet (I average 86Mbps) and Digital Economy TV service for $90.95. You won't be able to find it listed on their website through any of the regular links because they push hard for the big bundles, but it is available. The channels include all the local channels and some of the cable-only channels: Food Network, but no HGTV; Discovery, but no TLC; etc. (No ESPN, CSN, or NFL either)

They tried to get me into the blast plus. It was 20 more than what I was paying and it included 1 year of free HBO. You need to use an extra box for this. Honestly, no one will every watch the TV service and their boxes switch channels too slow. I can see us forgetting the HBO and being charged an extra 15 bucks overtop of the 90!!!!