So my wife goes to renew her MD Driver's License

steppinthrax

She needed to bring her (didn't know)....

1. Original SS Card
2. Naturalization documents
3. U.S. Passport (maybe)

Not quite sure why they need the original SS card. We just recently lost it in transit. I was standing in line for 3 hours getting a replacement for her!!!!

What is this for, stopping illegals from driving???

BernieP

Resident PIA

1. Original SS Card
3. U.S. Passport (maybe)

Not quite sure why they need the original SS card. We just recently lost it in transit. I was standing in line for 3 hours getting a replacement for her!!!!

Probably, but they were getting licenses in MD because a clerk overlooked those requirements - deliberately
IMHO, the Passport should be proof enough.
SSN should NEVER NEVER be used for anything but social security / taxes. Many years ago that was pretty much the law, it was not an national ID number, which it has now become.
An ID number that links you bank account, credit cards, all you financials and your employment. It's a quick way for someone to steal your identity, and it's left up to the sloppiest people in the world to protect the data - the government.

steppinthrax

Probably, but they were getting licenses in MD because a clerk overlooked those requirements - deliberately
IMHO, the Passport should be proof enough.
SSN should NEVER NEVER be used for anything but social security / taxes. Many years ago that was pretty much the law, it was not an national ID number, which it has now become.
An ID number that links you bank account, credit cards, all you financials and your employment. It's a quick way for someone to steal your identity, and it's left up to the sloppiest people in the world to protect the data - the government.

I had contacted the MVA, they had indicated they will only accept a pay-stub or W-2 with a SSN on it or a SSN card, so....

A UNITED STATES PASSPORT IS...

1. PROOF OF US CITIZENSHIP
2. PROOF OF AGE
3. PROOF BY PICTURE

What the #### else do you need?

Last edited:

tommyjo

1. Original SS Card
3. U.S. Passport (maybe)

According to the MVA website, none of those documents are required to renew a MD driver's license.

They are needed if you are applying for a new license or your license has been expired for over a year.

http://www.mva.maryland.gov/drivers/apply/renewing-your-license-info.htm

http://license.mva.maryland.gov/CheckList/default.aspx

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
According to the MVA website, none of those documents are required to renew a MD driver's license.

They are needed if you are applying for a new license or your license has been expired for over a year.

http://www.mva.maryland.gov/drivers/apply/renewing-your-license-info.htm

http://license.mva.maryland.gov/CheckList/default.aspx

Yeah, I renewed mine in June and didn't need anything except my soon to be expired license.

As a naturalized citizen the wife might have been impacted by this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/REAL_ID_Act

GopherM

Darwin was right
After moving to Georgia last year we had to bring:
1. Photo ID (official state for FED issued)
2. Passport
3. Any official document with SSN (card, tax return, etc)
4. Proof of residence (closing documents on the house, utility bill, etc)

Fortunately we had been briefed on what we would need to have with us so it was a quick and polite visit.

acommondisaster

So, if you're 40 or under, you can renew via mail, online every other renewal or kiosk. You don't need any of those things - you may need your glasses prescription if you wear corrective lenses and I think if your address has changed you can only do it by kiosk.

Sounds like there were some outlying issues you haven't mentioned - like lost license, unpaid fines or some kind of flag on your license.

alicejohn

The federal government is in the process of implementing certain requirements for state ID cards like driver’s licenses: http://www.dhs.gov/secure-drivers-licenses. From the REAL ID Act (passed in 2005):

“(c) Minimum Issuance Standards-
(1) IN GENERAL- To meet the requirements of this section, a State shall require, at a minimum, presentation and verification of the following information before issuing a driver's license or identification card to a person:
(A) A photo identity document, except that a non-photo identity document is acceptable if it includes both the person's full legal name and date of birth.
(B) Documentation showing the person's date of birth.
(C) Proof of the person's social security account number or verification that the person is not eligible for a social security account number.
(D) Documentation showing the person's name and address of principal residence. “

The deadline for states to issue compliant licenses has passed. Recent news articles about the issue say only 22 states are issuing compliant drivers licenses (including MD). All but five states (Illinois, Minnesota, Missouri, New Mexico, and Washington) have been granted extensions to be compliant. As of Jan 10, 2016, the federal government will not accept the driver’s license from non-compliant states as a valid ID (for example, boarding an aircraft, access to a federal facility, etc).

GregV814

1. Original SS Card
3. U.S. Passport (maybe)

aren't you the man that was upset that your wife was harassed due to her culture and race??? Geeze you guys are terminal victims right???

3CATSAILOR

1. Original SS Card
3. U.S. Passport (maybe)

I would research this further to determine if this is an actual requirement. Your SSN is considered as Personally Identifiable Information. Thus, your identify can be stolen if this information gets in the wrong hands - Besides the Chinese of course who has every Federal employee's information they want. Did you see any signs saying this is required? Is your wife a foreign national? Did you confirm this requirement from a supervisor? What will they do with the information once they obtain it? How do they store the information? Is it on a secured server? More secured than Hillary Clinton's I hope? Let me be clear - even if it IS a requirement, I still question why they require it when they never have before. I have never heard of the State using a full SSN when they know it is protected PII. I bet their servers are not very well protected. Thus, from what you describe there could be a potentially very serious situation looming.

Erk

It's always seemed nuts to me that a valid Passport is not enough ID for anybody. All the other forms of ID are required to get the passport. It would seem then that the Passport is the capstone document, and should be sufficient.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Every time I keep seeing this thread title, "So my wife goes to renew her MD Driver's License", it seems like the beginning of a joke and I'm waiting for the punch line. Maybe something like this .... So my wife goes to renew her MD Driver's License ... but is denied because of the resent accident when she drove her shopping cart into the fruit stand destroying the cantaloupe. Or, So my wife goes to renew her MD Driver's License .... but leaves because she didn't study for the eye test. Or, So my wife goes to renew her MD Driver's License .... but was denied because she went to a Virginia DMV office. What's yours?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
It's always seemed nuts to me that a valid Passport is not enough ID for anybody. All the other forms of ID are required to get the passport. It would seem then that the Passport is the capstone document, and should be sufficient.

Exactly. I never understood that either.

Yet they will accept things like an apartment rental contract for proof of state residency...something that takes 10 minutes to create using a form downloaded from the internets.

steppinthrax

Exactly. I never understood that either.

Yet they will accept things like an apartment rental contract for proof of state residency...something that takes 10 minutes to create using a form downloaded from the internets.

Correct,,,

A US Passport is pretty strong and hard to obtain. You send original docs (2 or so) to the DoS. The fed gov validates this....

steppinthrax

If I may ...

Every time I keep seeing this thread title, "So my wife goes to renew her MD Driver's License", it seems like the beginning of a joke and I'm waiting for the punch line. Maybe something like this .... So my wife goes to renew her MD Driver's License ... but is denied because of the resent accident when she drove her shopping cart into the fruit stand destroying the cantaloupe. Or, So my wife goes to renew her MD Driver's License .... but leaves because she didn't study for the eye test. Or, So my wife goes to renew her MD Driver's License .... but was denied because she went to a Virginia DMV office. What's yours?

No joke, true story?