Clinton calls Flint water crisis 'immoral' in break from NH

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Clinton calls Flint water crisis 'immoral' in break from NH
FLINT, Mich. (AP) — Taking a detour from New Hampshire's campaign trail, Hillary Clinton said Sunday that a water crisis in a Michigan city was "immoral" and demanded that Congress approve $200 million in emergency aid to address the community's battle with lead-contaminated water.

The Democratic presidential hopeful made a quick visit to Flint, Michigan, an unusual stop for a candidate trailing in polls against rival Bernie Sanders in the first primary state. Clinton hopes to use a narrower-than-expected loss in Tuesday's primary as a springboard into contests later this month in Nevada and South Carolina.

Clinton said she was making a "personal commitment" to help Flint in a message delivered not only to the congregants at a local Baptist church but also a more heavily-minority electorate in Southern contests that could help her build a foundation for a delegate-by-delegate drive toward the nomination.

"This is not merely unacceptable or wrong, though it is both. What happened in Flint is immoral," Clinton said at House of Prayer Missionary Church. She added: "I will fight for you in Flint no matter how long it takes."

Aides said Clinton was invited by Flint Mayor Karen Weaver to address the crisis of lead-poisoned water, a case that she has cited in Iowa and New Hampshire as an example of racial and economic injustice. It's an issue that resonates among Democrats, particularly African-American voters who play a major role in later contests in South Carolina and a swath of "Super Tuesday" states on March 1.

I am sure the Clinton SuperFund can cover this

Hijinx

I am sure the Clinton SuperFund can cover this

Ya gotta admit that for Hillary to call something immoral after all the immoral things she and Bubba have done takes a lot of Chutzpah.

Firing the whole staff of the WH travel staff so they could hire their friends.
Her suspected relations with Huma Abedin----her "friend", with Muslim roots
Her covering for Bubba in the WH scandals
The Arkansas prison blood sales to Canada.

Just to skim the surface.

I suppose in an election year she can get away with anything. It appears she gets away with anything, election years or not.

TheLibertonian

Well, she's right. it is immoral and unethical. That doesn't mean she isn't unethical herself. I doubt it's based on race as much as rich vs. poor.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Well, she's right. it is immoral and unethical. That doesn't mean she isn't unethical herself. I doubt it's based on race as much as rich vs. poor.

Well, let's see. How long has Flint been controlled by Dems. There is your answer. Oh, and yeah, Hillary is unethical. :killingme:

The hypocrisy is overwhelming. :faint:

Last edited:

tommyjo

Well, let's see. How long has Flint been controlled by Dems. There is your answer. Oh, and yeah, Hillary is unethical. :killingme:

The hypocrisy is overwhelming. :faint:

Two series of questions for our informed voter who only expresses her humble opinions:

1. Why did Flint switch from getting its water from Detroit to the Flint river? Who was the person who signed the agreement to switch the water supply? How did that person get his job?

2. When did the governor of Michigan first learn of the problem? What did he/his administration do about it? What party is the governor affiliate with?

I'm not going to give you the links...go look it up yourself...maybe you will actually learn something.

Hijinx

So yr saying only the rich people get the good water? ;-p

Must have something to do with the way they run the water mains.
Must have taken a lot of planning to run the good water to the rich and the bad water to the poor.

TheLibertonian

Don't they all use the same water?

Do you think if this kind of thing happened in a high income neighborhood, it would have been this quite for this long? Or do you think it would have immediately hit national news, steps would have been taken immediately to fix the problem, etc.

This_person

Do you think if this kind of thing happened in a high income neighborhood, it would have been this quite for this long? Or do you think it would have immediately hit national news, steps would have been taken immediately to fix the problem, etc.

I think if this had been an affluent city the city would not have been managed into such a financial hole that an inexperienced city manager would have been needed to find ways to reduce costs to bail out a city held hostage by public-sector unions. I mean, the overwhelmingly Democrat city management knew about the river water, and approved. They knew about the state take-over, and while they didn't like it, they approved.

Flint city elected officials said:
City Councilman Joshua Freeman said he would prefer not to have a state takeover, but maybe it’s time for the state to intervene.

“If it takes something that drastic to right our ship and set a path for the future maybe that’s something that needs to happen,” said Freeman, chairman of the council’s finance committee. “It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to look at our numbers and figure out we’re not in a good spot.”

Councilman Scott Kincaid said he doesn’t believe that a consent agreement with the state would be enough to address the city’s financial problems.

Kincaid and Freeman said Walling’s administration hasn’t done enough to avoid state intervention. Walling’s budget was based on reaching agreements on contract concessions with each of the city’s four public safety unions, which hasn’t been done, they said, and the city’s projected deficit continues to grow.

When you vote for people who will allow the unions to bankrupt the city, drastic and sometimes unfortunate decisions will end up being made to try and rectify the situation.