Reverting back to Maiden name

nobody really

I need a nap
I'm reverting back to my maiden name. The name change wasn't in the divorce decree. the SSA website said I need the divorce decree and birth certificate showing my original name, it didn't say "it needs to be stated in the divorce decree". I go to the SSA office, and they said it has to be stated in the divorce decree. She told me I have to go through the courts to have it changed now, have it published, blah blah blah....When I went to MVA, they said, just bring in the divorce decree, and birth certificate.

Anyone have any experience with this? Does it need to be in the divorce decree? I'm on the phone now with SSA. Says I have a 55 minute wait. I don't understand why I have to go through the court to go back to my birth name, just want to drop asswipes name.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Why do they have to make everything difficult?? This is why I kept my married name - because I didn't want to deal with changing it back. Pains in the butt.

It makes sense that it has to be in the divorce decree in order to make it a legal name change. If someone wakes up one day and decides they want to change their name they have to petition the court.

nobody really

I need a nap
It makes sense that it has to be in the divorce decree in order to make it a legal name change. If someone wakes up one day and decides they want to change their name they have to petition the court.

I get that. But to go back to the name on my birth certificate, after a divorce, I shouldn't have to beg the friggin courts. I didn't think about putting it in the divorce decree. I didn't realize, that after battling property, etc, I'd have to make that a stipulation that I get my birth name back.

BigBlue

Why do they have to make everything difficult?? This is why I kept my married name - because I didn't want to deal with changing it back. Pains in the butt.

LOL, Ok question ,if you knew you were going to have to change it back becuase you knew you were getting a divorce when you got married? Why get married?:whistle::popcorn:

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
If it is not ordered in your divorce decree by the judge, you will need to go to court to have your name changed in Maryland. Go to Maryland.gov and search it. There is a process to have ot changed (the action is listed for a period of time in local paper, etc.)When I got mine changed it was $$ also. I want to say $200-400.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I get that. But to go back to the name on my birth certificate, after a divorce, I shouldn't have to beg the friggin courts. I didn't think about putting it in the divorce decree. I didn't realize, that after battling property, etc, I'd have to make that a stipulation that I get my birth name back.

You do in Maryland, at least. I went thru it. :yay: Just can't remember the nitty gritty details

NextJen

Raisin cane
I remember my attorney specifically telling me that if I was thinking of changing my name back to my maiden name, it's best to do it at the time the divorce is going through. He said it is a hassle if you want to do it later. This pretty much confirms kwillia's comment.....I assume that putting it in the divorce decree is just being able to skip the step of petitioning the court later.

steppinthrax

If it is not ordered in your divorce decree by the judge, you will need to go to court to have your name changed in Maryland. Go to Maryland.gov and search it. There is a process to have ot changed (the action is listed for a period of time in local paper, etc.)When I got mine changed it was $$ also. I want to say $200-400.

My wife recently changed her name (from nick to actual). I believe it was $135 for the application and around 30 - 60 for the name change publication. In CC you must meet a judge. I tried to get around it, but you must see a judge and just ask some questions as to why you are changing your name etc... I also filing a motion to expedite the adult name change. Her process then took 1.5 months.

The whole can originally take a few months. There is a min 30 days for the publication to stay active, so people can contest the change.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
This is why I never changed my maiden name to my husbands last name. I figured when we got divorced, it'd be a hell of a lot easier to not have to change drivers license, SSN, etc.

Smart thinker, I am. :smort:

steppinthrax

Wow, her name is now Actual? That's pretty cool. :yay:

LOL,

After she obtained her Naturalization, she decided to change her name to her "nickname" and my last. It was her decision and she realized later that it wasn't a good idea. She changed it back to her actual name (original name)...

Misfit

Lawful neutral
My sister-in-laws maiden name was Cocaine.

Her brother is a history teacher in a PA public school.

Mr. Cocaine :coffee:

officeguy

The whole can originally take a few months. There is a min 30 days for the publication to stay active, so people can contest the change.

Not so much to contest the change than an opportunity for any creditors to receive notice and for any party in legal proceedings to update their filings.