Halfway house in your neighborhood?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
http://m.charlescountymd.gov/public-notices/7-pm-public-hearing-special-exception-halfway-house

A resident of the neighborhood in question sent us the following:

"A recent issue has arisen in the neighborhood of Bel Alton Estates, in Charles County. A man has purchased a home in the neighborhood and has petitioned the Board of Appeals for Charles County with the request to rent the home to the Jude House, Inc. While rehabilitation for drug addicts is a wonderful thing and encouraged by many of the neighborhood residents, it is strongly felt that a residential neighborhood is not the place for it. I write to you in an effort to try to gain more attention to this matter and inform the community. It appears that this deal was trying to be completed” under wraps” and many residents only learned of this after seeing a post through the community page on Facebook, while half of the neighborhood does not pass the house ( and posted sign) on their daily travels. Thank you for your time and I hope you will be able to bring a lot more attention to this issue and enlighten the community with more facts.
Attached is the link to the public notice of the Special Exception for a Halfway House. "

So...the link is FYI so you all who live in that area know what's going on, but also for discussion.

In my old neighborhood we had a women's halfway house and there was constant crap going on. It was far enough away from me that I wasn't affected, but the folks who lived right there said it was just nonstop with the shady guys hanging around, drugs, fights, trash being thrown in the streets, and general ghettoization.

If these homes were more careful about who they admit, it would be fine. I'm all for someone getting a fresh start and turning their life around. The problem is the ones who don't want to have a better life or are so sucked into garbage that they can't make the transition - they make it suck for everyone and give these homes a bad reputation.