Happy Fat Tuesday!

GregV814

in the era of political correctness and the efforts to remove any religious symbolism, is Fat Tuesday really in vogue???? What about "nutritional value excess danger second day of the calendar weekday"....

cheezgrits

Thought pirate
Got to live in New Orleans for 10 years. Everyone needs to go see the Mardis Gras once in their lives.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Got to live in New Orleans for 10 years. Everyone needs to go see the Mardis Gras once in their lives.

I was born and raised in NOLA. Mardi Gras used to be great, but it is pretty dangerous, anymore. My dad and brothers were in a Krewe for a few years, but that halted when my parents decided that we were not allowed to go anymore. It is a shame that it came to that. Did y'all know that MG, actually, started in Mobile AL?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mardi_Gras_in_Mobile,_Alabama

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

I have been to NO a number of times and always enjoyed myself, but one place you will never catch me is there during Mardi Gras. That's right up there with Times Square on New Year's Eve - not gonna happen.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
I have been to NO a number of times and always enjoyed myself, but one place you will never catch me is there during Mardi Gras. That's right up there with Times Square on New Year's Eve - not gonna happen.

:yeahthat: I went to NOLA for a bachelorette party a couple years back. It happened to fall around St. Patty's Day so we got to see plenty of parades and parties but without all the mess and ridiculous crowds. Plus finding a safe and nice hotel close to Bourbon was 10x easier. As was booking ghost tours and finding restaurants to accommodate a large group. It's definitely on the list to re-visit for sure, but next time will be a longer and more relaxing stay.

And I've lived an hour outside of NYC for almost 10 yrs. 95% of those NYE crowds are from everywhere BUT the New England/NY/NJ area. Nopenopenope.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I've been to NOLA a couple of times. My mother lived in Mobile, AL for about 15 years, so we would go over for a weekend. The worst that ever happened was a mounted LEO asked me to stop letting his horse drink out of my Hurricane cup. :lol:

littlelady

God bless the USA
I've been to NOLA a couple of times. My mother lived in Mobile, AL for about 15 years, so we would go over for a weekend. The worst that ever happened was a mounted LEO asked me to stop letting his horse drink out of my Hurricane cup. :lol:

Well, that's weird. The reason my parents stopped doing Mardi Gras (in the 70's when I was on HS) is that the police ignored people smoking marijuana and other things, plus, you could walk through the crowds and get stabbed just because people did that. My daughter insisted that she had her bachelorette in NOLA against my better judgment. She wanted to go where I was born. It wasn't during MG, and thankfully nothing bad happened. But, they did have some brushes with some sincere nutjobs while they were there. New Orleans is beautiful and historic, and my original home, but very corrupt and dangerous. I would not recommend to anyone to go/move there by choice. I have seen it all there.

Last edited:

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member

Small world! My grandparents lived in Mobile, AL for years. They lived in a house on Airport Blvd. for a time back in the late 60's and we lived with them for about 3 months before my dad's orders to Italy. I have a lot of relatives still in that area and also Pensacola, FL (a lot of my grandmother's family are from that area).

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Small world! My grandparents lived in Mobile, AL for years. They lived in a house on Airport Blvd. for a time back in the late 60's and we lived with them for about 3 months before my dad's orders to Italy. I have a lot of relatives still in that area and also Pensacola, FL (a lot of my grandmother's family are from that area).

My stepfather was from Montgomery. They ended up in mobile for his job before they moved up here.

cheezgrits

Thought pirate
Well, that's weird. The reason my parents stopped doing Mardi Gras (in the 70's when I was on HS) is that the police ignored people smoking marijuana and other things, plus, you could walk through the crowds and get stabbed just because people did that. My daughter insisted that she had her bachelorette in NOLA against my better judgment. She wanted to go where I was born. It wasn't during MG, and thankfully nothing bad happened. But, they did have some brushes with some sincere nutjobs while they were there. New Orleans is beautiful and historic, and my original home, but very corrupt and dangerous. I would not recommend to anyone to go/move there by choice. I have seen it all there.

When's the last time you were there? I was just there last year for Mardi Gras and trust me, NO is not, nor ever been, any more dangerous than any other city if you let your guard down, lose situational awareness or just plain start crap with someone. Yes, there are some freaks and "unusual" characters and even some of questionable morals and motives, but have you ever been on Great Mills Road?

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
When's the last time you were there? I was just there last year for Mardi Gras and trust me, NO is not, nor ever been, any more dangerous than any other city if you let your guard down, lose situational awareness or just plain start crap with someone. Yes, there are some freaks and "unusual" characters and even some of questionable morals and motives, but have you ever been on Great Mills Road?

My aunt and uncle live in Slidell, my uncle was born and raised in NO and was a professional firefighter his whole adult life. He knows the city like the back of his hand. Foxhound and I were there in late March last year - just for a long weekend, but we had a blast visiting all the touristy places. Lots of people watching. On saturday, we parked at one of the Firehouses for the day and just walked, walked, walked all day, tasting food here and there, had dinner and then went down to Bourbon Street to check out the night. Nighttime on Bourbon Street is a study in freakshow watching, for sure, but we never felt threatened. Fun times. :lol:

littlelady

God bless the USA

My aunt and uncle live in Slidell, my uncle was born and raised in NO and was a professional firefighter his whole adult life. He knows the city like the back of his hand. Foxhound and I were there in late March last year - just for a long weekend, but we had a blast visiting all the touristy places. Lots of people watching. On saturday, we parked at one of the Firehouses for the day and just walked, walked, walked all day, tasting food here and there, had dinner and then went down to Bourbon Street to check out the night. Nighttime on Bourbon Street is a study in freakshow watching, for sure, but we never felt threatened. Fun times. :lol:

Well, I was speaking, specifically, about Mardi Gras since that is what this thread is about. I was born and raised there, so I think I know the low down. Yes, NOLA is a wonderful place to visit any other time than Mardi Gras. I was in high school when my parents disallowed us to go again because of the danger. And, as I mentioned, my father and bros were part of a Krewe that they gave up. I swore I would never raise my children there, and I didn't. There are wonderful places in LA that are great places to live. I know people from Slidell, Covington, Marrero, Gretna, Algiers, Laplace, Shreveport, Belle Chase, and beyond; and all the places in between. I will always think of NOLA as home, but yes it is dangerous and very corrupt. My daughter had her bachelorette there because she wanted to see where her mom came from; much to my chagrin. But, yes, they had a wonderful time with a few weirdo incidents. But, it wasn't Mardi Gras, which was the topic of this thread. Sorry, but as far as I know, I am the expert on NO, except maybe BOP.