Dick paid 1.51 for gas - wants to raise the GAS TAX

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Sen. Durbin: ‘I Paid $1.51 A Gallon’ – ‘We’re Missing An Opportunity’ To Hike Gas Tax

(CNSNews.com) - Sen. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) says, current gas prices have gone down and the government is “missing an opportunity” to increase the gas tax.

At a press conference in Chicago on Friday Durbin said, “Two weeks ago I paid $1.51 a gallon for gasoline in downstate Illinois. Clearly, the price of gasoline has gone down dramatically, as has the price of a barrel of oil –which I think is below $30.”

“I think we’re missing an opportunity here – a 5-cent increase in the federal gas tax can really fund an infrastructure program that can help create new jobs in this economy and help businesses. Now is the time to do it.”

Rommey

Sen. Durbin: ‘I Paid $1.51 A Gallon’ – ‘We’re Missing An Opportunity’ To Hike Gas Tax

(CNSNews.com) - Sen. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) says, current gas prices have gone down and the government is “missing an opportunity” to increase the gas tax.

At a press conference in Chicago on Friday Durbin said, “Two weeks ago I paid $1.51 a gallon for gasoline in downstate Illinois. Clearly, the price of gasoline has gone down dramatically, as has the price of a barrel of oil –which I think is below $30.”

“I think we’re missing an opportunity here – a 5-cent increase in the federal gas tax can really fund an infrastructure program that can help create new jobs in this economy and help businesses. Now is the time to do it.”
Just what does the price of gas have to do with when you decide to raise the tax? Is $1.51 the line? Does Dickie think that if gas goes back up to $2 that the tax should go down?

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Just what does the price of gas have to do with when you decide to raise the tax? Is $1.51 the line? Does Dickie think that if gas goes back up to $2 that the tax should go down?

It's easier to hide a tax increase when the price is low.

limblips

PREMO Member
Why didn't Lil Dickie lower the gas tax when the price was over $4.00? When it goes back up, and it will, at what upper price will his "low gas price" tax go away?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
If I had to guess ... it is psychology

Americans got used to paying a higher price, now we can sock them with a higher tax .... it will all look the same

tommyjo

Gee...of course it is more psychologically palatable to raise the gas tax while prices are low. It is also easier on budgets to raise taxes when prices are or low or when income are high. Why does it take a rocket scientist to figure that out?

Just 1 year ago, Congress could not figure out how to fund highway construction because the gas tax isn't enough to cover current highway expenses. But why would anyone remember that? http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2015/01/28/roy-blunt-highway-funding-congress/22479423/#

I bet the same people who complain about a 5 cent gas tax increase are the same people who complain the most about potholes and the lousy state of local roads! It costs money to build roads...its cost money to repair the roads we already have. If we were driving fewer cars on fewer roads, then reductions in gas taxes might make sense. Anyone think that is what is happening in this country?

glhs837

Power with Control
Tommy, it wasn't because the gas tax wasn't enough, it's because they RAIDED THE DAMN COFFERS OF EVERY PENNY!!!!!! Both on a state level and on the federal. Like a guy who spends his rent money on booze then cant figure why he's getting evicted.

Rommey

Tommy, it wasn't because the gas tax wasn't enough, it's because they RAIDED THE DAMN COFFERS OF EVERY PENNY!!!!!! Both on a state level and on the federal. Like a guy who spends his rent money on booze then cant figure why he's getting evicted.
Add to the fact that they are pushing for vehicles with higher MPG which means, theoretically, that more people are buying buying less gas to drive the same miles.

Hijinx

Add to the fact that they are pushing for vehicles with higher MPG which means, theoretically, that more people are buying buying less gas to drive the same miles.

The real problem is being ignored here----or overlooked.
Read this line.

We are missing an opportunity.
This is all Democrats think about opportunities to raise taxes.
Like a nickel tax on a paper bag.

We would have enough money to fix the roads if they stopped taking money from the roads and putting it elsewhere.
Remember O'Malley's raids on every fund we had in Maryland? He depleted every one.

Just like they cry about Social security and then steal Billions of dollars from it and spend it somewhere else.
Oh Well : With the Feds they just print more money anyway.

Grumpy

Gee...of course it is more psychologically palatable to raise the gas tax while prices are low. It is also easier on budgets to raise taxes when prices are or low or when income are high. Why does it take a rocket scientist to figure that out?

Wish these rockets scientists would figure out how to work within a budget.

glhs837

Power with Control
The real problem is being ignored here----or overlooked.
Read this line.

We are missing an opportunity.
This is all Democrats think about opportunities to raise taxes.
Like a nickel tax on a paper bag.

We would have enough money to fix the roads if they stopped taking money from the roads and putting it elsewhere.
Remember O'Malley's raids on every fund we had in Maryland? He depleted every one.

Just like they cry about Social security and then steal Billions of dollars from it and spend it somewhere else.
Oh Well : With the Feds they just print more money anyway.

Be fair now, Rs have been just as complicit in raiding the funds, again, both nationally and locally. It's ever so much easier to reach for the stash than admit they DONT HAVE ENOUGH MONEY to buy the things they want!!!!! If revenue drops, you have one choice. Spend less.

Hijinx

Be fair now, Rs have been just as complicit in raiding the funds, again, both nationally and locally. It's ever so much easier to reach for the stash than admit they DONT HAVE ENOUGH MONEY to buy the things they want!!!!! If revenue drops, you have one choice. Spend less.

I thim Mr. Hogan is doing a pretty good job, although it pisses me off to have to still pay $6.00 to cross the Morgantown Bridge, but he has been trying to work within a budget. But yes< Republicans are good at finding taxes also.

glhs837

Power with Control
Don't think there's anything left for Hogan to raid, not saying he would. Earlich and Owe'Money left that cupboard bare.