Feds sue Ferguson to force police reform

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Feds sue Ferguson to force police reform

WASHINGTON -- The Justice Department is suing the city of Ferguson in an attempt to forcibly overhaul the city’s troubled police and court operations, Attorney General Loretta Lynch said Wednesday.

The decision comes hours after city leaders sought to revise a long- negotiated settlement, citing prohibitive costs of executing such a deal.

“There is no cost for constitutional policing,'' Lynch said late Wednesday.

"Painstaking negotiations lasted more than 26 weeks as we sought to remedy literally years of systematic deficiencies,'' she said of the government's action, which followed a public announcement last month of a tentative agreement that the attorney general described as "both fair and cost-effective . . . Last night, the City Council rejected the consent decree approved by their own negotiators; their decision leaves us no further choice.''

Lynch said the residents of Ferguson have been waiting "decades for justice,'' having endured civil rights breaches that established a pattern and practice of racially biased policing

a reminder of what was going on ... even if you filter out most of the bias in the report:

Many Conservatives are Blowing it on the Ferguson DOJ Report
Their reaction is neither fair, accurate, nor good for America.

I took the time over the weekend to read the entirety of the 102-page Department of Justice report on the Ferguson PD (“FPD”). I cannot recommend highly enough that you do the same. During the course of this reading, I intentionally read it with as jaundiced of an eye towards the Department of Justice as possible. I intentionally disregarded all commentary regarding what the DOJ investigators reported that they saw, and also all of their reported interviews of the citizens of Ferguson and FPD officers. I decided to say to myself, let’s assume that everything DOJ says is a lie, and also that everyone who was willing to talk to the DOJ during the course of their investigation either lied or shaded the truth. What remained astounded me.

Even if you read only the parts of the Ferguson DOJ report that come directly from the files of the FPD (which is to say, files that would be most favorable to the Department), the report paints an incredibly damning picture of the Ferguson Police Department. No conservative on earth should feel comfortable with the way the Ferguson PD has been operating for years, even according to their own documents.

The reflexive defense of the FPD by conservatives tends to come from two sources: the first is the belief among many conservatives that Officer Darren Wilson was telling the truth and that the witnesses and friends of Michael Brown were lying – and thus by extension, the DOJ is perceived to be taking the “Michael Brown side” and therefore is not credible. However, this particular source of distrust makes no sense as the DOJ likewise did not charge Officer Wilson in connection with the Michael Brown shooting. Thus, insofar as the credibility of a person is judged by whether they believe the spurious “hands up, don’t shoot” narrative, the DOJ comes down on the side of conservatives.

Freefaller

A very simple solution. I wish ALL police in Ferguson would show up one day, turn in all their equipment and resign effective that day. I wonder what would happen to the businesses then?

TheLibertonian

That's been my standing for awhile. Yes, evidence points to Michael Brown having been a bad person and a bully. However, that doesn't mean the FPD isn't also operating badly.

It's something I've spoken hotly about with some friends of mine; not all martyrs or victims are innocent. Sometimes bad guys do the right thing for the right reason, but they're still bad guys.

The following state can exist: Michael Brown's death, while tragic, was probably justified

and

The Ferguson police department is operating a corrupt system based on racial and economic discrimination.

Both of these statements can be true at the same time.

Hijinx

Ferguson pretty much inspired the Black Lives Matter program.
Now the person shot in Ferguson had assaulted an officer of the law , and was trying to take his weapon.
After this person made an ass of himself at a local store.
After investigation no one could find any evidence to the contrary.
Even the Feds under Loretta Lynch could not dig up evidence to hang this officer as they wished to do.
Still an officer lost his job, because he could not work under the circumstances brought forth by a racist segment in Ferguson.

So now they file a law suit against the entire force.The agreement asked for higher salaries for police officers,hiring a monitor, (I doubt a white monitor would be acceptable) Of course the requisite Diversity classes,and buying software, and hiring staff to analyze records on arrests, use of force and other police matters..
In other words the staff would be hired to supply the monitor with all of the juicy details. Pimps.

Every officer in Ferguson would be working----looking over their shoulder every moment.A real morale booster.

Lets review this
Black man shot
Black lives matter.
Hands up don't shoot. ( a lie that has been spread, shown to be false, and then spread further).
Investigation by FBI under the auspices of Black Attorney General.
Appointed by Black President.

Certainly a fair and non-biased agreement forced upon a small town. (Does this need a sarcasm tag?)

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Ferguson pretty much inspired the Black Lives Matter program.

did you read the Red State review of the DOJ Report
.... it was Orwellian what was going on in Ferguson ...

I blame most of it on the citizens ...
Blacks are a majority in Ferguson, they could have voted in a new city administration and changed the system .....

Hijinx

did you read the Red State review of the DOJ Report
.... it was Orwellian what was going on in Ferguson ...

I blame most of it on the citizens ...
Blacks are a majority in Ferguson, they could have voted in a new city administration and changed the system .....

IMO the Administration of Barrack Hussein Obama has been Orwellian since its. inception

BOP

The bottom line, which I think most of us understand, is that this regime, and leftists in general, want to federalize all police departments.

Midnightrider

The bottom line, which I think most of us understand, is that this regime, and leftists in general, want to federalize all police departments.

well he better get on that, he only has 10 1/2 months left. WHat took him so long? why didn't Obama do this in his first term when he had the favorable congress?

Hijinx

What is really insane is that this administration is so fired up on Ferguson, where one thug was killed, and they have so far done nothing about a security leak that is far beyond anything previous, by ignoring Hillary Clinton using her personal email server, and 4 deaths because of he incompetence.