5 Dogs left outside in 11 degree weather today

W

wopazia

Three Notch Road about 1/2 MILE SOUTH from "Carroll's John Deer Equipment"(17723 Three Notch Road, Dameron, MD 20628--same side of road)

5 dogs tied up outside today in 11 degree weather. Banged on tan colored trailer door, no answer. Left msg with police. Does anyone know if the Senate bill got passed a few days ago?

The Maryland Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee is scheduled to consider a bill on Wednesday, February 4, that would amend the state’s tethering laws and ban dogs from being left tethered outdoors in extreme cold and winter conditions. However, as introduced it prohibits any dog from being tethered outside unattended for an hour when the temperature falls below 32 degrees.Those who reside or participate in outdoor winter dog events in Maryland are strongly encouraged to contact the committee and express your concerns with how this will impact safe, humane dog events. Scroll down for committee contact information.Summary:
The AKC strongly believes that no dog should ever be kept in a situation that endangers its health, well being, or safety.
Senate Bill 26, however, could directly impact field trials, sledding or other winter dog sports, and other winter activities in which dogs can be routinely tethered outside for an hour unattended when the temperature is below 32 degrees.
Many breeds thrive in cold temperatures, and keeping them humanely tethered outside, even unattended, does not harm the animal. The bill is also unclear if this would apply if the dog is provided proper protection from the elements.

** I don't live in that area, if anyone does if you won't mind keeping an eye open and trying to get those dogs some help?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Maybe you should mind your own business. Since you don't live in the area you have no idea how long the dogs have been out. Besides it wasn't 11 degrees today, maybe somewhere around 26 or so. So tell us. Since you obviously got out of your car to "Bang on tan colored trailer door", what condition did the animals condition appear to be in? Well fed and cared for? Or skin and bones? In either case, you are probably lucky you didn't get shot for trespassing in god's part of the country. And stay out of the affairs of other people.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
In either case, you are probably lucky you didn't get shot for trespassing in god's part of the country. And stay out of the affairs of other people.

I keep wondering when that's going to happen - some animal nutter will rush to "rescue" someone's pet and get shot for trespassing.

For the record, my Apollo is a 17 lb Schnoodle with a fairly recent hair cut. He would stay outside in this crap all day if I'd let him. He is comfortable and enjoying his walk LONG after I'm freezing and trying to hurry him along. My point being that just because we humans are freezing our butts off doesn't mean the dogs and cats are. I remember well trying to get Gidget and Kiki Stinkertoes to come in the house because I thought it was too cold, and they were quite content to sit out on the deck in 10* weather.

Inkd

There have been dogs outside that trailer since I moved to Ridge in 2006. Never been a problem with the weather before, including the back to back blizzards in 2010. You should probably count yourself as lucky that no one was home when you went to that door.

Tito

Donkey Smell
I keep wondering when that's going to happen - some animal nutter will rush to "rescue" someone's pet and get shot for trespassing.

For the record, my Apollo is a 17 lb Schnoodle with a fairly recent hair cut. He would stay outside in this crap all day if I'd let him. He is comfortable and enjoying his walk LONG after I'm freezing and trying to hurry him along. My point being that just because we humans are freezing our butts off doesn't mean the dogs and cats are. I remember well trying to get Gidget and Kiki Stinkertoes to come in the house because I thought it was too cold, and they were quite content to sit out on the deck in 10* weather.

Dogs that size are obviously not so bright.

W

wopazia

If I may ...

Maybe you should mind your own business. Since you don't live in the area you have no idea how long the dogs have been out. Besides it wasn't 11 degrees today, maybe somewhere around 26 or so. So tell us. Since you obviously got out of your car to "Bang on tan colored trailer door", what condition did the animals condition appear to be in? Well fed and cared for? Or skin and bones? In either case, you are probably lucky you didn't get shot for trespassing in god's part of the country. And stay out of the affairs of other people.

Southern Maryland's finest. On my LEXUS it read 11 degrees.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Wopazia, I think it was nice, and strong of you to try to check on them. One never knows circumstances. Good job. :smile:

We just had to have our labradoodle shaved because of matting changing from her puppy coat to her adult coat. I keep her hoody fleece on her, even in the house.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Out of curiosity, it they'd answered the door what were you going to do?

What if they didn't answer the door? We read stories all the time that animals are abandoned when people move. Isn't it better to check, and be sure? As far as trespassing mentioned by others, does that mean the UPS, FedEx, USPS, solicitors, religious, or campaign peeps, etc. can be charged with trespassing? Just asking.

As far as what I would do, I would ask if they were aware how cold it was outside? Maybe, that would get their attention to let their pets in.

Edit: vrai, you are obsessed with your dog, Apollo. Admit it. Maybe, at some point in the future, some nice person might try to help him if circumstances were that he got lost, something happened to you, or whatever. Just a thought.

Last edited:

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Mountainlion.jpg

littlelady

God bless the USA

Roll your eyes all you want. I don't get the joke when this thread is about animals being left outside in frigid temperatures. I guess you wouldn't try to help an animal in distress. That is ok. That must be you. No worries. Thanks for the reply!

BlueOx77

The LEXUS part was a joke....but it was 11 degrees.

Nowhere anywhere in the Southern Maryland region saw a low of 11 degrees as of Saturday morning. Regardless of the low temperature, did you see a massive die-off of wildlife along the roadsides today? Animals, both wild and domestic, can cope with this kind of cold.