Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canary Owners

Quote Originally Posted by Blister View Post
    Wild Bobwhite quail have all but disappeared from most of Md. as per the Audubon Society

The wild version of the bird is a scarce commodity on the Eastern Shore, where pricey put-and-take shooting of pen-reared quail on private game farms is the norm.

The reason becomes obvious when you drive down any two-lane road in Caroline County. Fields of soybeans, wheat, and corn stretch from the highway shoulder to the horizon with not a brushy fencerow in sight. The desolation is broken only by grain storage bins and white chicken houses, each as long as a football field and filled with thousands of broilers destined for the Perdue plant farther down the Delmarva Peninsula. In essence, most of Maryland’s wild quail coveys, along with songbirds that also depend on native grasslands and what scientists call “early successional habitat”—herbaceous annual and perennial plants—have been traded for shrink-wrapped quarters, breasts, and legs.

Indeed, the once-ubiquitous northern bobwhite, the best known of North America’s six native quail species, is in deep trouble across its Southeast stronghold. From the Chesapeake shore to the oak savannas of Texas, quail counts have been in free fall since the annual Breeding Bird Survey was launched in 1966. Maryland’s bobwhite population, for example, has plunged 90 percent. No wonder, then, that this game bird recently landed at the very top of National Audubon’s Common Birds in Decline report, which estimates the national population plunge at 82 percent over the past 41 years.

http://archive.audubonmagazine.org/birds/birds0903.html
    Thanks. I read something similar to that after I posted. It's really too bad - that's a pleasant sound that I remember from nearly every place I've ever lived. My parents had chickens and I distinctly remember a quail with little ones trailing behind her in their yard. Cute as buttons.

Quote Originally Posted by Roman View Post
    Petey is a male, and the only time I see that he can be aggressive is when he sees his reflection in something. He's great with the Chickens, and I've noticed that he lets them eat first. Quite the gentleman. How's your Father's Petey doing so far?
    I was over there on Tuesday and he was trilling up a storm. I really want one for myself now! Does your Petey display a lot? Display - is that the right word?

Petey is very proud of his beautiful butt feathers, and displays them frequently. He shakes them too, making a ruffling sound. He showed up here near 4 years ago as a baby. He didn't have his fancy tail yet. He came with two pea hens, but they disappeared. Petey stayed, and lives with our chickens. Life is short Dixie, get yourself a Canary, and enjoy him.
    You have become responsible forever, for what you have tamed. "Antoine de Saint Exupery"

Quote Originally Posted by Roman View Post
    Petey is very proud of his beautiful butt feathers, and displays them frequently. He shakes them too, making a ruffling sound.
    Typical Male...

Canaries are cool BTW

sorry for the highjack, couldn't help me-self...
    Earth: 30% Land, 70% Race Course... ___/) ____/)

"Be civil to all; sociable to many; familiar with few; friend to one; enemy to none"... Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Airgasm View Post
    Typical Male...

Canaries are cool BTW

sorry for the highjack, couldn't help me-self...
    You're more than welcome to chime in!
    You have become responsible forever, for what you have tamed. "Antoine de Saint Exupery"

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.