Friday Zogby poll

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
A new Zogby poll out Friday shows the Kerry-Edwards ticket steady with 48 percent of likely voters. The same poll from July 7-9, listed Kerry-Edwards with 48 percent of the vote, three weeks before the convention. Political analysts say since 1964, the typical post-convention boost has given candidates a six-percent increase at the polls.

C

czygvtwkr

Does anyone besides me think polls are a bad idea?

I think they can affect elections, just like early "prediction" coverage on election day.

BuddyLee

Football addict
Originally posted by czygvtwkr

I think they can affect elections, just like early "prediction" coverage on election day.

Methinks you are correct sir!

I still think this election will be a close one. I hear the pollsters are mainly polling those who voted in the 2000 election and that a hell of a lot more voters are coming out this year to vote for either candidate. Could go any which way...

C

czygvtwkr

Man I see alot of fighting over uncounted votes.

States often have 100's of thousands of ballots that get rejected for one reason or another.

Why in the heck would someone mark both canidates on their ballot?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Well...

...if used the way they have grown to be; in lieu of news, then, yes, they are a bad idea.

If used honestly, well, like this:

Tonight on CNN:

X people think this.
Y people think that.
X plus Y people think polls are a stupid way to do the news.

...then I'd be OK with them!

I mean, the best one going (meaning the worst) is 'approval' polls.

Q: Do you approve of the job Z is doing?
A: No.

What's that mean? He should do MORE of what he is doing? Less? You'll never approve? You'll vote for him anyway? You'll vote for him if...?

Approval polls are usually used to try and say "The dis-approval means..." whatever it is that the expert guest of the moment is trying to say.

It's lazy journalism and their use is based on the misconception that we are a democracy. I also think the hyper use of polls by todays media are a large reason so many don't care.

Of course, we could do a poll to test that...