College Campuses, the left, and censorship

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
:frown: While political correctness on campus may be old news, as a soon-to-be college freshman, I find stories like these disturbing. I am aware that I am embarking on what many consider to be literally a "liberalizing" experience, one that produces young adults more inclined to agree with Democratic policies than Republican ones. But there are also critics who claim campuses have become leftist propaganda machines that restrict free speech, marginalize conservatism and censor honest political debate who have plenty of evidence to support that view.

But wait a minute here: Wasn't it the University of Colorado that came under fire for luring would-be athletes to the campus with sex, drugs, alchohol, and "loose women"?

Isn't that the Democratic Way? Maybe it
was Bill Clinton who re-invented college recruitng, and transformed it into a thriving business.

Hide that blue dress, dear.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
You should read the Campus Clubs list for NYU - looks like a Leftist's wet dream. We're just thankful that our kid isn't remotely interested in politics and she's past the point where she could be "indoctrinated" into any kind of alien thinking. But we tease her all the time that she'll come home for Christmas a militant lesbian flag-burner. :lol:

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Originally posted by vraiblonde
You should read the Campus Clubs list for NYU - looks like a Leftist's wet dream. We're just thankful that our kid isn't remotely interested in politics and she's past the point where she could be "indoctrinated" into any kind of alien thinking.

But we tease her all the time that she'll come home for Christmas a militant lesbian flag-burner. :lol:

Soooo, which side of the family does she most emulate?

C

czygvtwkr

When I was getting ready to go to college 12 years ago the college sent some literature to my parents and in it was a list of organizations on campus.

One of those organizations was Gay and Lesbian Mountaineers, now take in mind this is WV and my parents nor I had ever met a gay person (to our knowledge) before. My dad was like "where the hell are we sending you". The college was only 40 miles away LOL. WVU's young democrats organization is rated second only to Harvard's in membership so I hear.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Originally posted by czygvtwkr
One of those organizations was Gay and Lesbian Mountaineers, now take in mind this is WV and my parents nor I had ever met a gay person (to our knowledge) before.
:confused: Now, in my narrow little mind, the thought of Gay and
Lesbian Mountaineers just don't quite fit.

I suppose it takes all kinds, but the image of some hulking gal in a plaid wool shirt and jeans, wearing hiking boots does not "get it" for me. You know what I'm sayin'?

Whatever floats your boat, as they say.

Maybe I need to get out more often.:cool:

C

cmdrfunk

Originally posted by czygvtwkr
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,127629,00.html

I thought this was quite interesting, and quite appropriate.

'I imagine what it would be like to be a student at the University of Connecticut, where "inconsiderate jokes," "stereotyping," and even "inappropriately directed laughter" have been banned.'

Woo boy. I'd never last. In protest, I think I'd ban not having organized puking in front of the president's office.

Freedom of speech only applies to regulation by the government. If the government isn't doing doing the censorship, then it's fine (also why i think the FCC is a load of crap.)

That's why people can get banned from this message board and no one can do anything about it legally.

C

cmdrfunk

Originally posted by penncam
:frown: While political correctness on campus may be old news, as a soon-to-be college freshman, I find stories like these disturbing. I am aware that I am embarking on what many consider to be literally a "liberalizing" experience, one that produces young adults more inclined to agree with Democratic policies than Republican ones. But there are also critics who claim campuses have become leftist propaganda machines that restrict free speech, marginalize conservatism and censor honest political debate who have plenty of evidence to support that view.

Universities are businesses, and it does not suit businesses to have the public thinking for themselves rather than being mindless consumers who consume the latest pop music and Average Joe television shows despite it all being complete horse-puckey. Music and tv aren't created with the "let's make some good sh_t" mentality. It's made with the "let's make this popular through artificial means and they'll lick it up no matter how much garbage it is."

They want you to consume what they decide that you should be consuming. The days of rational thought and wise economic decisions are so yesteryear.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Re: Re: College Campuses, the left, and censorship

Originally posted by cmdrfunk
That's why people can get banned from this message board and no one can do anything about it legally.

:cool: As I understand it, this board is a public forum that you are invited to join if you wish.

When you log on with a screen name password and e-mail address you agree to keep it civil, keep profanity to a minimum, and agree to sell your first born male child to the highest bidder.

So, what's wrong with that?

SmallTown

Football season!
We're just thankful that our kid isn't remotely interested in politics and she's past the point where she could be "indoctrinated" into any kind of alien thinking.

You know all of those kids that are in those clubs? Their parents said the exact same thing :cheesy:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by cmdrfunk
Two differences:

#1, we're a completely and totally private business - not one penny of your tax dollars goes to fund this forum. Colleges receive federal funding and therefore have different rules they must follow.

#2, we ban people for breaking our established rules, much like a restaurant might kick you out for dancing naked on the tables. Never once have we banned someone for having a different political or religious belief. Professors, on the other hand, are failing or downgrading students for having different beliefs than them.

I see your point but you're comparing apples and oranges.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by SmallTown
You know all of those kids that are in those clubs? Their parents said the exact same thing :cheesy:
I actually wouldn't mind if Kyle expanded her horizons a bit. That's why we want her to go to college in the first place, to learn different ways to think. But if she got a failing grade for not falling lockstep into her professor's political or religious beliefs, I'd be talking to a lawyer.

SmallTown

Football season!
I actually wouldn't mind if Kyle expanded her horizons a bit. That's why we want her to go to college in the first place, to learn different ways to think. But if she got a failing grade for not falling lockstep into her professor's political or religious beliefs, I'd be talking to a lawyer.

Well, for what it's worth, I never came across that during my time in college so hopefully she won't either.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Well, for what it's worth, I never came across that during my time in college
I don't know anyone who has and I'd be curious, with all the college grads on here, if anyone else did either.

I think they make this crap up to get the rabble roused.

SmallTown

Football season!
I don't know anyone who has and I'd be curious, with all the college grads on here, if anyone else did either.

I think they make this crap up to get the rabble roused.

I guess it depends on the school. Obviously if you went to Liberty University (Jerry Fallwells school) I can see this happening.

And besides from things like poly sci and religion classes, I'm not sure how a student's differing views would be brought up.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I guess it depends on the school. Obviously if you went to Liberty University (Jerry Fallwells school) I can see this happening.
Yeah, but at a college that doesn't have certain religious or political criteria stated up front? And if they do, and you don't agree with the agenda, you simply don't go to that school, right?