Mental Disorder: Mother not responsible for death of 3 year-old

Editor

somd.com Editor
Staff member
PREMO Member
Patron
Today in Charles County Circuit Court, Romechia Marie Simms entered a guilty plea to Involuntary Manslaughter for the May 22, 2015 death of her 3-year-old son Ji'Aire Lee. On that date, police found Simms in a park in La Plata pushing her dead son in a swing. Simms was reportedly in the park for 2 days and her son had been dead for some hours prior to their discovery. An autopsy showed that Ji'Aire died from hypothermia and dehydration.

After accepting Simms's plea, Judge H. James West then went on to determine that Simms was Not Criminally Responsible for her son's death. This decision was based on the expert opinion of three doctors -- one appointed by the Court -- all of whom concluded Simms suffered from a mental disorder at the time of the crime which prevented her from appreciating the criminality of her behavior and conforming her conduct to the requirements of the law. The Court also determined, again based on the unanimous opinion of the three experts, that Simms, at this time, is not a danger to herself or to others. By virtue of the Not Criminally Responsible verdict, Simms ordinarily would have been committed to the health department for placement in a mental health institution. But due to the finding of not being dangerous and the agreement of the parties, the Court was able to release Simms from that commitment under certain conditions. The Court did in fact decide to release her from the commitment and the Court issued an Order of Conditional Release which essentially imposed conditions on Simms regarding her treatment and monitoring by the Health Department. Simms, who was not in custody because she had posted bond months ago, was free to leave the Courthouse with the directive to abide by her conditions of release.

Tony Covington, the State's Attorney for Charles County, agreed with the conclusions of the experts. He indicated, while he might not like the expert conclusions, he had no evidence to controvert them. Mr. Covington also agreed that the Court made the appropriate findings and rulings given the law that applies to these types of cases. Mr. Covington, however, did express his frustration over this tragic loss of life. Covington said, "Ji'Aire Lee should still be alive today. He is not here with us because his mother, who knew she had a mental illness, did not remain vigilant in her own mental health treatment. As a direct result of that she slipped back into the illness that eventually caused her to be unable to care for her child. And Ji'Aire died because of that neglect. While we can search for others that may have failed Ji'Aire, ultimately it boils down to Romechia's failure to maintain her mental health regimen. My heart goes out to this family, but I have to be honest about it: Ji'Aire Lee's death was preventable."

officeguy

Are they gonna lock up the family court judge in DC who put the kid in her hands rather than with the dad who had filed for full custody?

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Are they gonna lock up the family court judge in DC who put the kid in her hands rather than with the dad who had filed for full custody?

They should.

I don't really understand the whole "not responsible because they're mental" thing. So what? They should still be locked up, and frankly I'd strap them to the chair. I don't think you should be able to just kill people and walk away scot free because you're mentally ill.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...
They should.

I don't really understand the whole "not responsible because they're mental" thing. So what? They should still be locked up, and frankly I'd strap them to the chair. I don't think you should be able to just kill people and walk away scot free because you're mentally ill.
It's a black thang, you wouldn't understand. It seems that black lives matter except when black lives don't matter.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Well, this is just crazy. :rolleyes:

I sure hope she adheres to the "conditions of her release", whatever those are. Next thing you know, she'll be procreating and this will happen all over again.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If I may ...It's a black thang, you wouldn't understand. It seems that black lives matter except when black lives don't matter.

That girl who (most likely) killed her two little kids in Montgomery County is white. Lily white Casey Anthony got off free and clear for killing her daughter.

Clearly it's not a black thing.

Spook

When is the march? Is there going to be looting? Burning of local businesses? What time is Reverend Al coming to town?
Sooo many questions...

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...
That girl who (most likely) killed her two little kids in Montgomery County is white. Lily white Casey Anthony got off free and clear for killing her daughter.

Clearly it's not a black thing.
Okay, you got me. But it sounded good. Them white people are just plain crazy as well I reckon. Kids, let this be a lesson for you .... The saying is true, your parents brought you into this world, and they can take you from this world, and apparently get off scott free. So you damn well better start behaving.

luvmygdaughters

The Court also determined, again based on the unanimous opinion of the three experts, that Simms, at this time, is not a danger to herself or to others.

How in the hell can they say she is not a danger to others? She was evidently a big danger to her son...Idiots!!!!

pelers

The Court also determined, again based on the unanimous opinion of the three experts, that Simms, at this time, is not a danger to herself or to others.

How in the hell can they say she is not a danger to others? She was evidently a big danger to her son...Idiots!!!!

The only person she was a danger to she's already killed. So obviously it's no problem letting her go free, right?

Vince

So, bottom line, stupid judge lets mentally ill girl off for murdering her child. Stupid judge lets mentally ill girl off with no institution time so this girl is free to get pregnant again and have another child to kill. Yep, makes sense to me. :banghead:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

Okay, good - so I'm not crazy and indeed it is the "experts" that have some problems. :whew:

luvmygdaughters

Unless one of the conditions of her release was to get her tubes tied or have a hysterectomy to prevent future pregnancies, the so called "experts" need their head examined.

mitzi

"At this time" probably meaning she's on her medication. What's going to happen when she stops taking it AGAIN and she's delusional and out of touch with reality. Probably not safe even to be with her mother. Her mother won't have any control over her, just like before. You can't force someone to take their meds.

DannyMotorcycle

"At this time" probably meaning she's on her medication. What's going to happen when she stops taking it AGAIN and she's delusional and out of touch with reality. Probably not safe even to be with her mother. Her mother won't have any control over her, just like before. You can't force someone to take their meds.

Perhaps part of the condition of her release is that her mother oversees she takes her meds and
if she doesn't her mother is to call the gov't back in to take control of her. she is released upon
condition she's medicated. Some of you are rather heartless and seem to undervalue the depth
of mental illness. Believe me i'm far from a bleeding heart liberal (*spit*) and there all kinds of people
in this world that need to be put down.. but if someone is supervising her it's probably better
that she is in the care of her mother than taking up a room that is much more expensive to
society. The child died, that's unfortunate, but it's no reason to be emotional and un thinking of
the most logical solution. Usually when the prosecution, judge, and defense all agree, it's probably
the right thing.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Perhaps part of the condition of her release is that her mother oversees she takes her meds and
if she doesn't her mother is to call the gov't back in to take control of her. she is released upon
condition she's medicated. Some of you are rather heartless and seem to undervalue the depth
of mental illness. Believe me i'm far from a bleeding heart liberal (*spit*) and there all kinds of people
in this world that need to be put down.. but if someone is supervising her it's probably better
that she is in the care of her mother than taking up a room that is much more expensive to
society. The child died, that's unfortunate, but it's no reason to be emotional and un thinking of
the most logical solution.
Usually when the prosecution, judge, and defense all agree, it's probably
the right thing.

Well, of course not. No one should be emotional over a mother not only letting her child die, but being the CAUSE and REASON for it. :rolleyes:

Holy macarena.

Her mother enabled her in the past, so putting her "in charge of" her daughter now is like trying to pick up molasses with your fingers.

pelers

the most logical solution. Usually when the prosecution, judge, and defense all agree, it's probably
the right thing.

Have you ever dealt closely with someone with a severe mental illness before? Keeping them on meds is an uphill struggle, even if they are cooperative. I am very uncomfortable that this woman has gotten away with the murder of her own child, somebody who looked to her protection and safety. The courts obviously didn't make the best decision previously when they awarded her custody, why do you think this time their decision is any better?