Gas fire place repair needed

Hessian

Who can recommend a propane fireplace repairman?
Southern Calvert...Weekend or late afternoon appointment.

imaref

Are you having trouble with the flame going out when the fireplace is on? If so, turn off the fireplace and turn off the pilot light, then wait 1 hour for the fireplace to cool down. Remove the glass and clean both sides of the glass. I use a mini shop vac to clean the soot off of the logs first, then place them in a paper bag. Next I clean all of the soot from everywhere inside the firebox, paying special attention to the gas holes under where the logs normally sit. Use a can of compressed air to thoroughly clean the mechanical parts of the pilot light (don't be stingy!). Wait about 20 minutes (because the compressed air cools the metal pieces), then put the logs back in and replace the glass. DO NOT use any of those small packets of stuff that they give you to spread around the gas holes that burn and make the flame prettier (they burn and leave behind crap that clogs up the gas holes). I do this twice a year--once at the beginning of the heating season, and once about halfway through the heating season. It's a dirty job so cover carpet/wood flooring in front of the fireplace with an old sheet while doing the cleaning.

Hessian

imaref....the symptom is that the pilot dies moments after igniting the main venting. It is an open system that instantly puffs out after a few moments. Reading on line, it looks like one of THREE issues. None of which I can address personally.

I agree a cleaning is overdue!

imaref

imaref....the symptom is that the pilot dies moments after igniting the main venting. It is an open system that instantly puffs out after a few moments. Reading on line, it looks like one of THREE issues. None of which I can address personally.

I agree a cleaning is overdue!

My main flames would "puff out" but the pilot light would stay lit. If your pilot light won't stay on at all it's either so dirty that the gas is getting blocked, or you might need a new part (thermocouple, etc.). Post back once you have someone come to look at it--I'm curious (and like to learn things for future reference).