Two More Heroin Overdoses Reported in Leonardtown

glhs837

Power with Control
But jeebus, shooting up WHILE driving? Holy crap, that's just over the top nuts....

"Earlier today police responded to a motor vehicle accident on Point Lookout Road in Loveville and found an unresponsive male passed out in an automobile with a hypodermic needle next to him."

Hank

my war
But jeebus, shooting up WHILE driving? Holy crap, that's just over the top nuts....

"Earlier today police responded to a motor vehicle accident on Point Lookout Road in Loveville and found an unresponsive male passed out in an automobile with a hypodermic needle next to him."

The car seems to be a popular choice for shooting up. I recall several local stories of someone dying in a car from an overdose.

glhs837

Power with Control
The car seems to be a popular choice for shooting up. I recall several local stories of someone dying in a car from an overdose.

Well, I get that, you can park somewhere and the odds of shooting up in privacy seems pretty good. But while driving? Form what I see in movies, it's a fairly involved process, seems you might just crash from distraction before getting the crap in your vein.

Hank

my war
Well, I get that, you can park somewhere and the odds of shooting up in privacy seems pretty good. But while driving? Form what I see in movies, it's a fairly involved process, seems you might just crash from distraction before getting the crap in your vein.

I'm telling you, these zombies are crazy!

luvmygdaughters

Just out of curiosity, this Narcon that is used to bring overdose victims around, is that expensive? I know it sounds cold, but dayum, if you're stupid enough to put a needle in your arm, to shoot yourself up with something that could quite possibly kill you, why should I have to pay (with taxes) to bring your dumbass around.

Hank

my war
Just out of curiosity, this Narcon that is used to bring overdose victims around, is that expensive? I know it sounds cold, but dayum, if you're stupid enough to put a needle in your arm, to shoot yourself up with something that could quite possibly kill you, why should I have to pay (with taxes) to bring your dumbass around.

And then they go right back to using...

inkah

I've wondered the same type of thing. I mean, spare no expense to save a life and all that, but is Narcon really saving lives? It does seem a bit futile...

inkah

I had a family member die this past year from OD. We spent years/decades trying to "help". To the extreme detriment of many. Sure, the addict stayed alive and the memory gems, albeit hard to find, are there. But I wrestle with whether or not it was worth it. If it had worked, sure. But in the end we all failed, I guess.

It seems for all the loved ones there were, none could get on the same page with how to help. I wonder if we shouldn't have let go earlier and whether or not that would have saved some of us from so much collateral damage.

Its a horrible thing. People in the early stages of turning a blind eye and hoping it gets better or isn't as bad as it seems...whew...I feel for them...

Chris0nllyn

Imagine if we treated it like a medical issue and had safe places for them to use?

While it's stupid to use heroin, it's even more stupid to do it and drive. But it comes down to why they do that. Because they have no where else to do it, so they put everyone else's lives in danger by doing it and driving around.

EDIT: Portugal, that has a similar program I mentioned above has a drug overdose rate of 3 drug overdose deaths for every 1,000,000 citizens. The average of the EU is 17.3 per million citizens.

Last edited:

Chris0nllyn

I've wondered the same type of thing. I mean, spare no expense to save a life and all that, but is Narcon really saving lives? It does seem a bit futile...

Narcan prices differ by state but, a few examples include:

Massachusetts - In 2008, Narcan was $22 per kit. It's now $42.
Wisconsin - In 2014, Narcan was $7 a bottle. It's now $98 per bottle.
Ohio - In 3 weeks, the cost went from $27 per dose to $42 per dose.

inkah

Narcan prices differ by state but, a few examples include:

Massachusetts - In 2008, Narcan was $22 per kit. It's now $42.
Wisconsin - In 2014, Narcan was $7 a bottle. It's now $98 per bottle.
Ohio - In 3 weeks, the cost went from $27 per dose to $42 per dose.

Ah the BIG PHARM business of "saving lives"

luvmygdaughters

Imagine if we treated it like a medical issue and had safe places for them to use?

While it's stupid to use heroin, it's even more stupid to do it and drive. But it comes down to why they do that. Because they have no where else to do it, so they put everyone else's lives in danger by doing it and driving around.

:confused: Medical issue? Its really not a medical issue, its an illegal drug issue. If you gave them someplace to shoot up, I don't believe for a minute that it would stop those who shoot up while driving, parking, breaking into vacant homes and buildings, etc. They are...whats the word...ADDICTS!!. They will use whenever and wherever they can, no thought to anyone else's safety or well being.

Chris0nllyn

:confused: Medical issue? Its really not a medical issue, its an illegal drug issue. If you gave them someplace to shoot up, I don't believe for a minute that it would stop those who shoot up while driving, parking, breaking into vacant homes and buildings, etc. They are...whats the word...ADDICTS!!. They will use whenever and wherever they can, no thought to anyone else's safety or well being.

Of course it's a position not many people agree with, but when addicts share needles and spread diseases such as HIV/AIDS, Hep C, etc. then I'd argue it is, in fact, a medical issue.

When they drive and nod out and cause crashes, it's a public safety issue.

I edited my last post to add an example.

Portugal gives addicts a safe place to shoot up, and clean utensils and has a drug overdose rate of 3 drug overdose deaths for every 1,000,000 citizens. The average of the EU is 17.3 per million citizens.

I know it doesn't sound like a plan, but it's worked out, very well, for Portugal over the last 15 years.

People with this kind of foolish mentality scare me.

Much like you, I've known more than a few people that have been addicted to heroin, contracted a disease from it, and (thankfully) are now clean. Doesn't change my belief that our way of combating drug abuse has not worked, and has cost us a #### ton of money over the past few decades.

Last edited:

NTNG

You could extend that same way of thinking to "Why should the fire dept. and EMS crew ( that my taxes pay to fund ) work to extricate and treat a dumbass drunk driver from a vehicle wreck?"
Or " why should an ambulance crew and a medic rush ( that my taxes pay to fund ) to the home of a dumbass patient with COPD, who smoked for 30 years, who is having a hard time breathing?"

Maybe because its the right thing to do?